TelstraSuper Review | Performance, features and fees
TelstraSuper is a profit-for-members fund that's open to everyone. It offers a lifestage MySuper option that invests according to your age and the stage of life you're in, as well as several alternative diversified investment options.
TelstraSuper investment options
You'll automatically be invested in the MySuper option when you join TelstraSuper. This is a lifestage option that invests according to your age. After joining the fund, you can switch to another investment option at any time.
What are the key features of TelstraSuper?
- Open to everyone. TelstraSuper is open to everyone, you don't need to work in a particular industry to join. The fund has been operating for more than 30 years.
- Profit-to-member super fund. TelstraSuper is run to benefit members.
- Range of investment options. TelstraSuper offers a range of investment options so you can choose how your super is invested line with your risk tolerance and investing preference.
- Lifestage MySuper option. The default MySuper option is a lifestage option which invests your balance into a mix of asset classes based on your age. As you get older, your investment mix will change to suit your new stage of life.
- Sustainable investment. TelstraSuper's approach to sustainable investment follows the guidelines of the UN Principles for Responsible Investing (PRI) and incorporates analysis of environmental, social and governance (ESG) factors in all investment decision making.
- Dedicated guidance specialists. These specialists can guide and assist with general information for super and retirement planning and help with online calculators and forms at no additional cost.
- Inhouse member services team. Experts in superannuation who know the fund, answer your questions, and provide ongoing support.
- Insurance cover. Death and total permanent disablement (TPD) and income protection cover is accessible for eligible members.
- Easy online access. You can access your account via the website or mobile app to see latest transactions, account balances and investment updates. Plus see digital tools designed to estimate how much you will have when you retire and how long it will last.
- Personal financial advice. Access to affordable personal advice is available from TelstraSuper Financial Planning, offering a range of in-house financial planning options (fees apply).
- Different retirement income options available. With the flexibility to choose how much and how often you receive it so you can take what you want when you need it in retirement.
TelstraSuper investment options explained
TelstraSuper offers 3 types of investment options for you to choose from: Lifestage (MySuper), pre-mixed or single-sector options. If you don't want to choose an option, your super will be invested in the MySuper lifestage investment option.
Pre-mixed investment options
TelstraSuper Pre-mixed options are diversified portfolios that invest in a mix of different asset classes including shares, property, fixed interest and cash. They're designed for investors who only want a minimal amount of hands-on involvement with their super.
|Pre-mixed investment options||Risk level||Asset allocation|
This is the default option. With this option, you'll be invested in the Growth option while you're under 45, the Balanced option while you're 45-65 and the Conservative option when you're 65 and older.
This option has the highest allocation towards growth assets of all the pre-mixed options, and is designed for higher growth over the long term. It targets around 83% allocation to growth assets including local and international shares and private markets.
This option has a slightly lower target allocation to growth assets than the Growth option, with around 69% allocation to growth assets.
|Diversified Income |
This option is designed to offer a more even mix of both growth and defensive assets, with the aim of providing less volatility in returns than the Balanced option along with more reliable
This option has a similar risk level and target asset allocation to the Diversified Income option. It's designed to have less risk of negative returns in the short term compared to the Balanced and Growth option, while still offering more long-term growth than the Conservative option.
This option has the lowest risk level of all the ready-made options, with around 69% target allocation to defensive assets including cash and bonds. It's designed for investors with a shorter investment timeframe (e.g. if you're closer to retirement) or those with a low risk tolerance.
*Asset allocation between growth and defensive assets correct as of September 2022, but may shift slightly within the asset allocation guidelines for the option from time to time.
These single-sector options are single asset class portfolios. You decide how much you want to invest in each of the options listed below.
- Australian Shares
- International Shares
- Fixed Interest
What insurance does TelstraSuper offer?
As part of being a member of TelstraSuper, you can access the following types of insurance cover through your super:
- Income protection cover. This pays a benefit if you're unable to work due to illness or injury.
- Total and permanent disablement cover. This type of cover provides a lump sum payment if you become totally and permanently disabled and can no longer work.
- Death cover. This policy provides a lump sum payment when you die, allowing you to provide for your loved ones and help them repay debts.
How do I join TelstraSuper?
You can join TelstraSuper via the website where you can complete an online application. You'll need to provide:
- Your personal details, including your name, address, date of birth and contact information.
- Your Tax File Number (you do not have to give your super fund your TFN but if your fund doesn't have your TFN it won't be able to accept certain types of contributions from you and your benefit payments may be taxed at a higher rate than would otherwise apply).
If you'd like to roll over any super you have with another super fund into your new TelstraSuper fund you can fill out your account details after joining, and TelstraSuper will bring your existing super over for you.
Once you've completed the application you'll receive your member number straight away and will be able to login to your online account immediately. You can also notify your employer right away. Your account and any insurance you have chosen will also become active once this first contribution has been received.DISCLAIMER: This article may contain general advice. You should consider your own personal circumstances before deciding if a superannuation product is right for you. Superannuation is a long term investment and past performance is not indicative of future performance.
More guides on Finder
The best standing desk in Australia: Our top choice of the year
If you're looking for a standing desk for the home office, the Omnidesk Ascent is our #1 choice for 2023.
Fast NBN plans are now cheaper. Is it worth switching?
It's time to sort out your NBN plan for the new year.
Save $1,583 a year by using index funds instead of active trading | Dollar Saver tip #60
Invest in an index fund instead of actively trading stocks and you not only save on time and fees, you could be earning more in returns too.
5 perks you can score by upgrading your internet this year
SPONSORED: Upgrade your internet before the end of 2023 and get ahead on your life admin! We take a look at some of the benefits of a faster internet connection.
Aussies are struggling to save money, and Gen Z blame themselves
Young Australians cite overspending as the main reason for not reaching their financial goals.
Shein IPO: How to invest in the Shein IPO
What you need to know about investing in Shein from Australia.
Best places to exchange currency in Brisbane
Your guide to currency exchange in Brisbane, including how to get the best exchange rate.
Waiting for rates to fall? Don’t bank on it, says ANZ CEO
Addressing speculation that interest rates might fall in late-2024, ANZ CEO Shayne Elliott said he thought it was too optimistic.
Ask an Expert