BUSSQ super review: Performance and fees
BUSSQ is an industry super funds for building, construction and civil industries. It offers a default MySuper product as well as several pre-mixed investment options.
BUSSQ investment options
You'll be invested in the Balanced Growth option when you join BUSSQ. After joining the fund, you can switch to one of the following ready-made or sector-specific investment options if you'd like to.
What are the key features of BUSSQ?
- Industry super fund. BUSSQ is an industry super fund. It began as a fund for the Queensland building and construction sector; however, anyone is now free to join.
- Investment choices. Choose between some pre-mixed investment portfolios, individual asset class options or the default MySuper portfolio.
- MySuper investment option. The Balanced Growth option is the default MySuper option for members who don't wish to choose their own investment option. It's designed to suit most members.
- Default insurance cover. Eligible members receive automatic death and total permanent disablement (TPD) cover.
- Consolidate your super online. You can opt to consolidate your existing super into your new account when joining or any time after you've joined by logging into your online portal.
BUSSQ investment options explained
BUSSQ offers three types of investment options for you to choose from: MySuper, pre-mixed portfolios and asset class options. If you don't want to choose an option, your super will be invested in the Balanced Growth investment option which is a MySuper-authorised fund.
Pre-mixed investment options
The pre-mixed portfolios each invest in a range of different asset classes. Some have a higher allocation towards growth assets (like shares and property) and therefore a higher risk level.
|Pre-mixed investment option||Risk level||Asset allocation (rough estimate)|
This option is the highest risk level of all the pre-made options, with around 90% allocation to growth assets including local and international shares. It's designed for higher growth over the long term, and is suited for investors with a longer investment timeframe of at least 10 years.
|Balanced Growth (MySuper option)|
This is the default investment option which all members will be placed in if you don't choose a different option after joining. It's designed for growth over the medium to long term, and designed for members with an investment timeframe of at least 5 years. It has a bit less exposure to growth assets compared to the High Growth option.
This option has the lowest risk level of all the pre-made options, with much less allocation to growth assets and higher exposure to defensive assets including fixed interest and cash. It's designed for investors with a shorter investment timeframe of around 3 years (e.g.: if you're closer to retirement) or those with a low risk tolerance.
*Asset allocation between growth and defensive assets are a rough guide as of September 2021, and may shift slightly from time to time.
Single-sector investment options
These options are single asset class portfolios. You decide how much you want to invest in each of the options listed below.
- All Shares
- Australian Shares
- Australian Shares (Small companies)
- Diversified Fixed Interest
- International Shares
- International Shares (Emerging Markets)
What insurance does BUSSQ Super offer?
Members can access the following types of insurance cover automatically when joining:
- Total and permanent disablement cover. This type of cover provides a lump sum payment if you become totally and permanently disabled and can no longer work.
- Death cover. This policy provides a lump sum payment when you die, allowing you to provide for your loved ones and help them repay debts.
You can cancel, increase or adjust your insurance cover at any time.
How do I join BUSSQ Super?
You can complete an online application in around 15 minutes. You'll need to provide:
- Your personal details, including your name, address, date of birth and contact information
- Your Tax File Number (you do not have to give your super fund your TFN but if your fund doesn't have your TFN it won't be able to accept certain types of contributions from you and your benefit payments may be taxed at a higher rate than would otherwise apply)
- Details of your employer (if you'd like you'd like your super guarantee payments to be added to you new account).
Once you've completed the application you will receive your member number and a confirmation email with the details of your account.DISCLAIMER: This article may contain general advice. You should consider your own personal circumstances before deciding if a superannuation product is right for you. Superannuation is a long term investment and past performance is not indicative of future performance.
More guides on Finder
Best Cyber Monday deals you can still get today: Up to 70% off
Black Friday is now over, but you can still pick up stacks of Cyber Monday deals that are every bit as good.
How a pink trading platform dominated New Zealand
Sharesies boasts 500,000 Kiwi customers - or one-tenth of the New Zealand population.
Woolworths vs Coles: Which paid membership is better? [VIDEO]
Is it worth spending more with Everyday Extra or Coles Plus?
Savings with Sarah #10
Aussies are predicted to spend $30 billion this festive season. Here's 7 key tips on how you can save on gift-buying.
Cyber Monday laptop deals 2023
Access deals and discounts of up to 65% off laptops from Dell, Microsoft, HP and more in the 2023 Cyber Monday sale event.
Standing desk sale: 35% off at Omnidesk for Cyber Monday
Upgrade your home office this Cyber Monday with 35% off ergonomic standing desks from Omnidesk.
Cyber Monday iPhone deals 2023
If you're looking for iPhone deals in this year's Cyber Monday sales, check out our roundup of the very best discounts around.
Virgin flights to Uluru: How many points do you need?
Can you get a red-hot deal for the red centre?
How to avoid a Christmas debt hangover
11% of us are putting our holiday shopping on plastic.
Black Friday Weekend: Today’s 25 best deals
From cutting-edge gadgets to deluxe mattresses, these are the best Black Friday deals you can get over the weekend.
Ask an Expert