Catholic Super: Performance, investments and fees
Catholic Super is an industry super fund aligned to supporting teachers in Catholic schools, and open to anyone to join.
Catholic Super performance and fees
Key features of Catholic Super
- Designed for those working in Catholic education. Catholic Super is an industry fund originally created for those working in the catholic education sector, however it is now open to everyone to join.
- Default insurance options. Eligible members will get default insurance cover when joining the fund with no medical exams.
- MySuper product. There are two investment options which are authorised MySuper products, and you'll be placed in one according to your age if you don't make your own investment choice.
- Pre-mixed investment options. Instead of going with the default MySuper option, members can choose between a range of different pre-mixed investment options that each have a different risk level and asset allocation.
- Ethical option. One of the pre-mixed investment options, PositiveIMPACT, has an ethical investment focus.
Catholic Super pre-mixed investment options
Members can choose between these pre-mixed, diversified investment options depending on the level of risk you want to take on.
|Investment option||Risk level||Target asset allocation|
This portfolio has a low level of exposure to shares and property, and is designed for members close to or in retirement.
This portfolio is also designed for members close to or in retirement, or members with a low risk tolerance. However, it has a bit more exposure to growth assets like shares than the RetireStable option.
This option has the lowest level of investment risk and invests largely in fixed interest and cash. It's designed for members looking to protect their balance, with some growth over the medium term.
This option aims for a balance between capital growth and capital stability, with an even split between growth and defensive assets. It aims to achieve growth with less volatility.
|Medium to High|
This option has a slightly higher allocation towards growth assets including shares compared to the Balanced option.
|Medium to High|
|Balanced Growth (MySuper)|
This is the default investment option designed to suit most members over the age of 51. It's where you'll be invested if you don't make an investment preference and you're aged 51 or older.
This option aims for growth over the medium to long term by investing more heavily in Australian and international shares.
|Growth Plus (MySuper) |
This is the default investment option for members under 51, unless you choose otherwise. It is the highest risk option and aims for better long term growth, with more investment in shares and property.
This option sits between the Balanced Growth (MySuper) and Growth Plus (MySuper) options in terms of risk level. What's different about this option is that it invests in companies with a focus on the environment.
Sector investment options
If you want more control over super, you can put together your own investment mix using one or more of the following individual sector options.
- Australian Shares
- Overseas Shares
- Diversified Fixed Interest
Catholic Super default insurance cover
Eligible members will receive the following default insurance cover when joining:
- Death: This cover provides a lump sum payment to your nominated beneficiaries in the event of your death.
- Total and Permanent Disablement (TPD): This cover provides a lump sum payment to you in the event that you become permanently disabled.
- Income Protection: This cover is paid out in the even you can't work and lose your income.
You'll get a default, basic level of cover for the above insurances, however you can apply to increase your level of cover at any time if you think it's the right choice for you. You can also opt out of all insurance cover all together.
How to join Catholic Super
You can join online by completing the application form on Catholic Super's website. The application form should take you around 10-20 minutes to complete, and you'll need to provide the following bits of information:
- Your full name, date of birth and contact information
- Your Australian residential address
- Your phone number and email address
- Your tax file number (TFN)
- Your chosen investment option (if you want to invest in something other than the default option) and insurance cover
- Details of your existing super fund if you'd like to consolidate your super
Once your application has been completed successfully, you'll receive your membership details by email. You can then give these to your employer so they can start paying your superannuation guarantee payments into your new fund.
More guides on Finder
Best Cyber Monday deals you can still get today: Up to 70% off
Black Friday is now over, but you can still pick up stacks of Cyber Monday deals that are every bit as good.
How a pink trading platform dominated New Zealand
Sharesies boasts 500,000 Kiwi customers - or one-tenth of the New Zealand population.
Woolworths vs Coles: Which paid membership is better? [VIDEO]
Is it worth spending more with Everyday Extra or Coles Plus?
Savings with Sarah #10
Aussies are predicted to spend $30 billion this festive season. Here's 7 key tips on how you can save on gift-buying.
Cyber Monday laptop deals 2023
Access deals and discounts of up to 65% off laptops from Dell, Microsoft, HP and more in the 2023 Cyber Monday sale event.
Standing desk sale: 35% off at Omnidesk for Cyber Monday
Upgrade your home office this Cyber Monday with 35% off ergonomic standing desks from Omnidesk.
Cyber Monday iPhone deals 2023
If you're looking for iPhone deals in this year's Cyber Monday sales, check out our roundup of the very best discounts around.
Virgin flights to Uluru: How many points do you need?
Can you get a red-hot deal for the red centre?
How to avoid a Christmas debt hangover
11% of us are putting our holiday shopping on plastic.
Black Friday Weekend: Today’s 25 best deals
From cutting-edge gadgets to deluxe mattresses, these are the best Black Friday deals you can get over the weekend.
Ask an Expert