Cbus: For members of the building, construction and allied industries
Australian construction workers who make investments in their own industry will see the reward in their super growth.
Cbus was founded in 1984 specifically to offer superannuation investment services to Australians working in the building, construction and allied industries.
Close to 100,000 employers have joined Cbus as a way to extend super fund opportunities to their workers, while Cbus' interests in the building industry helps to create jobs all across Australia.
Past performance - 1 year
Past performance - 5 Years
Annual fees on $50k balance
|Product Name||Cbus Growth|
|Past performance - 5 Years||9.81%|
|Annual admin fee||$122.35 + 0.22% of balance p.a.|
|Insurance included||Death,TPD,Income Protection|
|Number of members||777,000|
What awards and honours has Cbus earned?
- SuperRatings honoured Cbus with four platinum awards in 2015 for their Super, MySuper and Pension accounts.
- In addition to the platinum awards, Cbus was Infinity Recognised, an award that gives nod to funds that practices responsible investment principles and a ten year platinum performance for 2005- 2015.
- Selecting Super added Cbus to their list of exceptional quality super funds in 2015.
- Cbus was also recognised with five apples from Chant West for their superannuation product, super income stream (pension product), and corporate super.
A closer look at Cbus
With Cbus, working Australians can invest their superannuation either on their own or through their current employer. The super funds are only available to workers in the construction industry and their family members, and can also be transitioned to a retirement or pension fund when the time is right.
Even if you decide to leave the construction business and start fresh in a new type of job, Cbus makes sure that you can take your super fund with you. There are a number of insurance options available as a part of your super fund with Cbus, providing you with death, disablement and loss of income cover. Membership into Cbus ensures that all of your retirement needs can be handled in one place.
What is internet banking like with Cbus?
Available around the clock, SuperSite is Cbus member’s way of managing your investment account online. There are a number of features included with this online platform that allow you to keep on top of your superannuation including:
- Check up on your contribution and transaction history
- See what your current balance is
- Change your personal details
- Make changes in your investment choices
- Review your insurance covers
- Change the details of your preferred beneficiaries
What super funds are offered by the provider?
For individual members there are a range of investment options to choose from, each with a different risk rating to meet your individual retirement goals. The Cbus MySuper has been rated one of Australia’s top performers for long term investing, consistently performing above the national average.
It is important however to keep in mind that past performance is not always a reliable indicator of how a super fund will fare in the future. In order to make the right decisions regarding how the assets of the funds are distributed, Cbus relies on a mix of Australian and Investment managers.
Each one has a specified allocation of the funds, and manage those in accordance with an agreement that they have with Cbus. This ensures that only a certain percentage of the super fund assets is ever invested into any one product.
What pension accounts are offered by Cbus?
In addition to providing you with accounts that are structured to help you transition into retirement, Cbus offers those members who have reached preservation age a Super Income Stream.
This plan turns the savings you have invested into your super into a regular salary over time. Financial advisors will help you decide how much of this money you need, and how often it should be drawn from your accounts so that you can enjoy your retirement years without financial hardship.
Other features of the Super Income Stream include:
- Flexible and easy to understand investment options
- Free entry
- Competitive fees and no commissions
- Access to the account online
- Financial planning advice and retirement seminars
The fees for Cbus super funds and their retirement options are competitive, charging you $1.50 a week for the administrative costs, which will be deducted as a lump sum of $78 at the end of each financial year.
There are no fees for receiving advice on how to invest nor when you make an investment, but you will be charged $35 from the account if you make a full or partial benefit withdrawal.
How to apply for Cbus super funds?
If after having compared Cbus and their super funds you find that their structure and investment strategies meet your needs, you can become a member and get started online.
- You will have to verify that you are a part of the Australian construction, building or allied industries before being able to continue to the application.
- A separate form is available for those working in the industry and receiving employer contributions, for people who are self-employed, and workers who do not receive any employer contributions.
- Cbus does recommend that no matter what your personal circumstance, you are able to provide your tax file number and employer details, including your start date. Once you are ready to begin, filling in the application should take about five minutes of your time.
- If applying for the Super Income Stream it is important that you have already reached preservation age and are ready to begin making withdrawals from your superannuation savings.
- The Super Income Stream is even available to invest in if you are still employed in Australia.
This is an important step in securing your financial future. Before making a choice as to which super fund to invest in, you can take the time to compare the various options available to you in Australia.