Australian retail giant Catch has thrown its hat into the telecommunications ring. See how its prepaid plans stack up right here.
Is Catch Connect right for me?
- What does Catch Connect offer? The mobile wing of online retailer Catch, Catch Connect offers prepaid mobile plans on the Optus 3G and 4G networks. Along with 30-day, 90-day and 365-day mobile plans, Catch Connect also has a range of mobile broadband plans powered by the same Optus networks.
- Product highlights: Large data caps represent excellent value for money, international call credit on select plans, frequent promotions make signing up even cheaper.
- Watch out for: Catch Connect's promotions are often quite attractive, but it's important to remember the discounted rates only apply to your first recharge. Once your promotional plan expires, subsequent recharges will be priced at Catch Connect's standard rates.
Get unlimited calls & texts + 40GB included data for $4.90 from Catch
Catch Connect 30-day prepaid plans
Catch Connect's 30-day prepaid plans explained
There are currently 4 30-day plans available from Catch Connect:
- $15 plan which includes 3GB of data
- $25 plan which includes 11GB of data
- $35 plan which includes 20GB of data
- $49.90 plan which includes 40GB of data plus 200 international minutes to 32 countries
While Catch Connect's 40GB plan includes 200 international minutes to 32 selected countries, you can also purchase separate call pack add-ons to add more international inclusions to any of the four plans.
You should also be aware that Catch Connect's 30-day prepaid plans are set to automatically recharge every 30 days by default. If you'd rather handle recharging manually, you'll need to deactivate automatic recharging through the Catch Connect Dashboard on the provider's website.
Catch Connect 90-day prepaid plans
Catch Connect's 90-day prepaid plans explained
Much like its 30-day plans, Catch Connect's 90-day prepaid plans use the Optus 3G and 4G networks and come in 4 varieties:
- $39 plan which includes 8GB of data
- $69 plan which includes 35GB of data
- $89 plan which includes 54GB of data
- $119 plan which includes 102GB of data and 400 minutes to 32 countries
Unlimited standard national calls and texts are included with each plan, but if you want to make calls overseas or activate international roaming, you'll need to purchase additional call packs for your service.
By default, Catch Connect's 90-day plans will automatically recharge with the same value every 90 days. You can deactivate this via the Catch Connect Dashboard on Catch's website.
Catch Connect 365-day prepaid plans
Catch Connect's 365-day prepaid plans explained
For those looking to get the most out of every dollar, Catch Connect offers long-term 365-day prepaid plans that work out cheaper on a month-by-month basis than either its 30-day or 90-day plans. The caveat, of course, is that you need to pay a larger upfront cost to take advantage of the lower overall cost, and you lose the freedom to switch or cancel your plan whenever you want – unless you're happy with forfeiting the money you've already spent, that is.
Like its shorter prepaid plans, Catch Connect's 365-day plans all come with unlimited standard national talk and text. Three data options are available, with pricing as follows:
- 42GB for $199 upfront ($16.58/month)
- 80GB for $270 upfront ($22.50/month)
- 205GB for $340 upfront ($28.33/month)
- 375GB plus 500 international minutes to select countries for $410 upfront ($34.17/month)
Unlike many competing long-term plans, Catch Connect's 365-day plans don't limit how much data you have access to on a month-to-month basis. Instead, the entire allotment of data is available to use from day one, giving you the freedom to portion it out over the 12 months in whatever way you choose. This is especially handy for those with irregular data usage patterns, as it means you don't have to worry about monthly data going to waste if you don't use it.
On top of the standard inclusions, Catch Connect's 365-day plans support a number of call pack and data add-ons you can read about below.
Catch Connect extras
Alongside its standard prepaid plans, Catch Connect sells add-on packs with extra call and data inclusions.
For additional call credit to use on standard international calls and texts, international roaming and select premium phone services, Catch Connect offers $5, $10, $20 and $50 recharge options. International call and roaming rates vary from country to country, though standard international texts are fixed at 12c per message.
Any extra credit you add to your service will expire after 30 days, but if you top up with more credit before the 30 days are up, any unused credit from your previous recharge will roll over to the next 30 days, up to a maximum of $500.
If you only call a select few countries, Catch Connect also offers two international call packs you'll want to check out:
- $5 International Extras which includes unlimited SMS/MMS and up to 100 minutes to 32 select countries.
- $10 International Extras which includes unlimited SMS/MMS and up to 300 minutes to 32 select countries.
The 32 countries included in both packs are: Austria, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Canada, Chile, mainland China, Croatia, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Pakistan, Philippines, Poland, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, United Kingdom, the United States of America and Vietnam.
Both international call packs expire after 30 days, but by purchasing another international call pack before those 30 days are up, any leftover minutes from the first pack up to a maximum of 500 minutes will rollover to the next 30 days.
Catch Connect has add-on packs for data-lovers, too. Adding an extra 1GB to your balance will set you back $10, while $15 will get you an additional 2GB. Like Catch Connect's call packs, the extra data expires after 30 days but can be rolled over to the next 30 days by purchasing a new data pack before the first one expires. Data rollover is limited to a maximum of 20GB.
How does Catch Connect compare?
- More data for your dollar than almost any other prepaid telco on the market.
- Frequent discounts for new customers represent even greater value.
- Long-expiry plans give you full access to your data from the get-go.
Despite lacking the experience of many of its competitors, Catch Connect distinguishes itself as one of the most attractive prepaid mobile providers currently on the market.
Why should you consider Catch Connect?
Catch Connect has hit the ground running with its prepaid mobile plans. Whether you're looking for a quick 30-day fix or the added freedom of a 90-day expiry, few other mobile providers can match the raw value of Catch Connect. If cheap prepaid plans are what you're after, you won't do much better anywhere else.
It's also worth highlighting how useful Catch Connect's 90-day expiry plans can be. Since you can portion out your data use however you like over the three months, it's especially handy if your data needs aren't so predictable. For instance, you might barely touch your mobile data on a typical day but then burn through a couple of GB on a work trip or weekend away every couple of months. Rather than continuously switching between low-data and high-data 30-day caps, a more flexible 90-day cap could save you both time and money.
Unlike most other prepaid mobile providers, Catch Connect does not sell prepaid top-up cards at retail. Instead, the only way to recharge your Catch Connect plan is via your account dashboard on the Catch Connect website. There you can either choose to have your plan recharge automatically when it expires by debiting your preferred payment method or recharge manually at your leisure.
How to contact Catch Connect
Monday - Friday 9am - 8pm (AEST)
Weekends and NSW Public Holidays 10am - 6pm