Lycamobile offers prepaid SIM-only plans with a strong focus on the needs of users who need to make lots of international calls.
What services does Lycamobile offer?
Lycamobile is a SIM-only provider offering prepaid services for those already bringing a handset to the network. It operates on parts of Telstra’s 4G networks within Australia, but has a strong focus on worldwide phone calling options across the planet.
On a national basis, Lycamobile offers a straight Pay As You Go service where you pay a flat fee for each call, text and MB of data used. You pay an upfront fee and this depletes based on usage. It also offers monthly plans with calling inclusions built in that operate on a 28 day expiry period.
How much does Lycamobile cost?
Lycamobile’s monthly plans have an interesting quirk in that if you’ve got enough credit on your account they will automatically renew at the end of each 28 day period. If you have less credit than required for your plan tier, you’ll instead go onto its PAYG plan tier for the remainder of your credit period.
Its PAYG rates price Australian landline calls at 12c per minute, while calls to Australian mobiles are charged at 19c per minute. Calls to other users on Lycamobile are free. Texts are charged at 15c each, and data is priced at 7c per MB.
If you opt for a monthly national plan, Lycamobile’s Unlimited Plan XS costs $12.45 for 28 days of unlimited national calling and texts with 3GB of data. If your needs tend more towards international calling, you’ll be better suited to one of Lycamobile’s combined National and International Plans.
The top tier combined plan, Unlimited Plan L, gives you unlimited national talk and text, 9GB of data and unlimited calls (but not texts) to Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Czech republic, Denmark, France, Finland, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, India, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherland, New Zealand, Norway, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Romania, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Thailand, UK, USA and 300 minutes to Bangladesh, Cambodia, Croatia, Indonesia, Ireland, Japan, Pakistan, Philippines, Taiwan, Turkey and Vietnam for $44.90 per month.
What extras does Lycamobile offer?
The largest set of extra inclusions that Lycamobile offers across its plans relate to international calling options, with some plans offering a wide array of calling locations at either low or no cost. It also offers free calls to other users on Lycamobile within Australia.
Pros & Cons
- Variety of international calling plans Lycamobile’s core market are folks who want or need to call internationally with high frequency.
- Free calls to other Lycamobile users If your Australian contacts are also on Lycamobile, you’ll pay nothing for calls made to them.
- Uses "parts" of Telstra’s 4G networks Like other Telstra-based MVNOs, Lycamobile only has access to parts of Telstra’s 4G networks which means a smaller coverage map and slightly lower 4G data speeds.
- 28 day expiry Lycamobile’s monthly plans expire every 28 days, which means you’ll pay more to access them over a full calendar year than with a 30 day plan.
Lycamobile prepaid recharge options
Lycamobile users in need of a prepaid top-up have a couple of avenues to keep their mobile services running:
- Online at Lycamobile's web site: Lycamobile prepaid mobile customers can recharge directly through its web site with recharges ranging from $10 to $50 in quantity. Lycamobile accepts Visa, Mastercard, American Express, JCB Card or Discover card for mobile prepaid recharges.
- With a voucher: Lycamobile customers can purchase recharge vouchers at many retail outlets. Each voucher will come with a unique PIN code either underneath a scratch panel or printed directly onto the voucher. Don't lose the PIN code, because it's your gateway to accessing your recharge, which can be done either online or via a phone call.
- Over the phone: If you've purchased a Lycamobile prepaid recharge voucher, you can either dial 131 from your Lycamobile connected device and follow the prompts, or dial *131*PIN# (where PIN is the PIN printed on your recharge voucher) to access recharges over the phone.