Think Mobile is an affordable mobile network that emphasises its local customer service and cheaper prices.
Think Mobile operates a range of SIM-only month-to-month plans across both the Vodafone and Telstra mobile networks, although your choice of plan type will determine which network you actually end up getting mobile service through. Think Mobile's Super and Ultimate plans work on the Vodafone network, while the Classic plans operate on parts of Telstra's 3G network.
Think Mobile Ultimate plans
Think Mobile's Ultimate plans offer unlimited standard calls and texts along with a data quota, all supplied on Vodafone's national 4G and 3G networks. Think Mobile operates these plans on a month-to-month postpaid basis, which means you'll pay at least the plan pricing at the end of the month plus any additional usage charges you may accrue.
Of note, Think Mobile does not apply a flat $10/GB excess usage fee for any additional data usage above your quota, instead charging 1c per MB of excess usage. That could be more cost-effective if you only go slightly over your quota, as it becomes an effective $10/GB anyway.
Here's Think Mobile's current plan pricing for its Ultimate plans:
- Think Mobile Ultimate 2GB Plan: Unlimited calls and texts, 2GB data, month-to-month, $25
- Think Mobile Ultimate 5GB Plan: Unlimited calls and texts, 5GB data, month-to-month, $30
- Think Mobile Ultimate 10GB Plan: Unlimited calls and texts, 10GB data, month-to-month, $37
- Think Mobile Ultimate 20GB Plan: Unlimited calls and texts, 20GB data, month-to-month, $48
Think Mobile Super plans
Think Mobile also offers a range of lower-cost mobile plans on the Vodafone 4G network, branded as Think Mobile Super Plans. They're lower cost and lower in included extras, but include the same postpaid month-to-month outlook of the higher tier Ultimate plans.
Being postpaid plans, you'll be billed at the end of each month for at least the plan value, plus any additional usage charges you may accrue. It's worth noting that Think Mobile's Super plans charge 2.5c/MB for excess usage, which is well above the industry norm of $10/GB, or effectively 1c/MB.
Here's Think Mobile's current plan pricing for its Super plans:
- Think Mobile Super $12 Plan: $200 value calls and texts, up to 200MB data, month-to-month, $12
- Think Mobile Super $20 Plan: $500 value calls and texts, up to 750MB data, month-to-month, $20
Think Mobile Classic plans
Think Mobile's Classic plans are pitched squarely at folks who are concerned about coverage in regional areas. Unlike Think Mobile's Ultimate or Super plans, they operate on Telstra's network, and specifically parts of its 3G network, which means potentially greater coverage but possibly lower overall speeds if that's important to you.
The Classic plans operate on a postpaid, month-to-month basis. What that means is that you're only committed for payments for a given month, paying at least your plan value plus any additional charges you accrue at the end of each month you use the service. Think Mobile's Classic plans have the highest excess data charges of any of its postpaid plans, with excess usage charged at a hefty 10c/MB, or the equivalent of $100/GB.
- Think Mobile Classic $24 Plan: $300 value calls and texts, up to 750MB data, month-to-month, $24
- Think Mobile Classic $30 Plan: $500 value calls and texts, up to 1GB data, month-to-month, $30
- Think Mobile Classic $40 Plan: $650 value calls and texts, up to 1.5GB data, month-to-month, $40
- Think Mobile Classic $50 Plan: $800 value calls and texts, up to 3GB data, month-to-month, $50
How does Think Mobile compare?
Think Mobile's plans pitch on simplicity, and at that level there are some decent deals to be had, but it's well worth checking other carriers at each price tier for month-to-month SIM-only plans, especially given its excess data pricing on its Super and Classic plans.
If you're looking to spend $20 per month or less, here's how Think Mobile's month-to-month plans compare against other providers:
If $30 per month is your prepaid budget, here's how Think Mobile's plans stack up:
At the $40 to $50 price point, here are your options to compare:
Why should you consider Think Mobile?
Think Mobile's flexibility in terms of providers has some appeal, because while its Vodafone plans offer better value, if you find yourself consistently in areas with better Telstra coverage, you could easily swap over to a Classic plan after a month with little in the way of penalty.
There's also some scope for saving on the Ultimate plans if you go over quota. The near-standard rate for excess data on most postpaid plans is to charge a flat $10 the second you go over quota and apply an extra 1GB of data to your plan, where Think Mobile instead charges a per-MB fee. Where that could have appeal is if you only use a small amount more than your quota, especially on the Ultimate plan where excess data is charged at 1c/MB.
Compare all mobile providers
Follow us for all the latest mobile phone news and deals
- Catch.com.au is launching its own prepaid mobile service
- You can now bundle Norton security products with your Vodafone mobile bill
- Optus is giving all Australians 30 days free access to the National Geographic mobile app
- Get a hefty 18GB of mobile data for just $32 a month with Virgin Mobile
- Go big with 18GB of mobile data for just $20 with Vodafone