After significant testing, these are our picks of the phones to buy
Pennytel mobile phone plans
Pennytel provides simple and affordable SIM-only mobile phone plans that are easy to understand.
Is Pennytel right for me?
- What does Pennytel offer? Pennytel offers SIM-only mobile plans on no-lock-in, month-to-month contracts. These plans are delivered over parts of the Telstra 3G and 4G networks.
- Product highlights: Competitively-priced budget plans, unlimited international calls on select plans, Telstra network coverage.
- Watch out for: Pennytel occasionally runs deals offering discounted rates on its SIM-only plans. Those discounted rates are only applicable for a fixed number of months, after which the monthly cost reverts to Pennytel's regular rates. Keep this in mind when comparing your options.
Compare mobile plans below
Pennytel SIM-only plans
Pennytel's SIM-only plans explained
Pennytel offers a broad range of SIM-only mobile plans powered by parts of the Telstra 3G and 4G networks. These plans operate on a month-to-month contract, with billing occurring on a postpaid basis. All include unlimited standard talk and text along with a monthly allotment of data, plus the higher-tier plans pack in unlimited international calls to select countries.
|International calls||PAYG||PAYG||PAYG||Unlimited to 15 select countries||Unlimited to 15 select countries|
The 15 countries currently covered by the international inclusions in the L and XL plans are: China, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Malaysia, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, UK, USA and Vietnam.
Pennytel does frequently run special offers on those deals, including free months or price cuts for a limited time period.
Pennytel's billing is worth looking at because it works on a strict monthly rotating term depending on when you sign up. If you contract on days 1–28 of a given month, on the same numerical day of the next month you'll enter your next billing cycle. If your service is activated on days 29–31 of a given month, your next billing cycle will kick off on the 28th of the following month, but you will be given a pro-rata credit for the days not used.
Pennytel keeps its excess data charging very simple, with a $10 1GB data bolt-on available if you need additional data. These do not stack, but you otherwise do not incur additional data charges if you go over your data quota. Unless you explicitly buy a data bolt-on, your data access will cease once you've exhausted your given quota.
How does Pennytel compare?
- Budget plans pack a lot of value, especially compared to other Telstra-powered telcos
- Unlimited international calls on L and XL plans is a big boon for overseas callers
- Telstra network means wider coverage in rural areas of the country
Why should you consider Pennytel?
Pennytel's proposition rests on simplicity and the allure of getting onto Telstra's 4G network without the higher costs typically associated with Telstra's own in-house plans. If that has appeal to you it's worth considering, but if you're happy enough on other networks, it's worth looking at your options before signing up.
- Telstra, Optus & more offer free data and calls for working from home: How much more do you get?
- Vodafone’s 5G network is now online
- Telstra postpaid customers can score a heavily discounted Kayo Sports subscription
- 365 Day & Long Expiry Prepaid Mobile Plans April 2020
- Optus rolls out new Samsung Galaxy S20 plans with free Buds+ and double data
Read more on this topic
Vodafone’s 5G network is now online Vodafone goes live with its first 5G site in Australia, with talks of 5G global roaming soon to come.
365 Day & Long Expiry Prepaid Mobile Plans April 2020 We help you make the most of every recharge with these top-value 365 day & other long expiry prepaid plans. We've selected picks on each major network, and broken down the pros & cons of the plans for easy comparison.
Optus rolls out new Samsung Galaxy S20 plans with free Buds+ and double data Pre-order the latest Samsung handset from Optus and get double the data for the first year, plus a free pair of Galaxy Buds+.
Telstra releases S20 plans with free upgrade from S20 to S20+ Telstra's giving you a free upgrade from the Samsung S20 to S20+ for a limited time only.
Vodafone releases S20 plans with free 4G to 5G model upgrade Vodafone is giving you a free upgrade to the new 5G Samsung S20 and S20+ models, as well as complimentary Galaxy Buds+.
Woolworths Mobile deals on latest Samsung Galaxy models Woolworths Mobile has cut $250 off their new Samsung S20 range, with bonus savings off your grocery bills too.
Vodafone 5G: What you need to know Vodafone's 5G network will be available from early 2020, joining rivals Telstra and Optus with just a few key differences worth knowing about.
Black Friday Mobile Plan Deals 2019 Grab a SIM or phone plan on the cheap this Black Friday & Cyber Monday.
Stick to the plan: Aussies forking out millions on excess mobile data charges Finder research shows that over the past 12 months, Aussies have wasted $152.6 million on excess data charges.
Google Pixel 4 plans compared If you're keen on a Google Pixel 4 on contract through Telstra, Optus or Vodafone, we've got all the details you need.
Latest mobile plan deals on Finder
Read why this is one of the best Samsung Galaxy phones yet