After significant testing, these are our picks of the phones to buy
Pennytel mobile phone plans
Pennytel provides simple and affordable SIM-only mobile phone plans that are easy to understand.
Is Pennytel right for me?
- What does Pennytel offer? Pennytel offers SIM-only mobile plans on no-lock-in, month-to-month contracts. These plans are delivered over parts of the Telstra 3G and 4G networks.
- Product highlights: Competitively-priced budget plans, unlimited international calls on select plans, Telstra network coverage.
- Watch out for: Pennytel occasionally runs deals offering discounted rates on its SIM-only plans. Those discounted rates are only applicable for a fixed number of months, after which the monthly cost reverts to Pennytel's regular rates. Keep this in mind when comparing your options.
Pennytel SIM-only plans
Pennytel's SIM-only plans explained
Pennytel offers a broad range of SIM-only mobile plans powered by parts of the Telstra 3G and 4G networks. These plans operate on a month-to-month contract, with billing occurring on a postpaid basis. All include unlimited standard talk and text along with a monthly allotment of data, plus the higher-tier plans pack in unlimited international calls to select countries.
|International calls||PAYG||PAYG||PAYG||Unlimited to 10 select countries|
The 10 countries currently covered by the international inclusions in the L Plus and XL plans are: China, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Malaysia, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea, UK and USA.
Pennytel does frequently run special offers on those deals, including free months or price cuts for a limited time period.
Pennytel's billing is worth looking at because it works on a strict monthly rotating term depending on when you sign up. If you contract on days 1–28 of a given month, on the same numerical day of the next month you'll enter your next billing cycle. If your service is activated on days 29–31 of a given month, your next billing cycle will kick off on the 28th of the following month, but you will be given a pro-rata credit for the days not used.
Pennytel keeps its excess data charging very simple, with a $10 1GB data bolt-on available if you need additional data. These do not stack, but you otherwise do not incur additional data charges if you go over your data quota. Unless you explicitly buy a data bolt-on, your data access will cease once you've exhausted your given quota.
How does Pennytel compare?
- Budget plans pack a lot of value, especially compared to other Telstra-powered telcos
- Unlimited international calls on L Plus and XL plans is a big boon for overseas callers
- Telstra network means wider coverage in rural areas of the country
Why should you consider Pennytel?
Pennytel's proposition rests on simplicity and the allure of getting onto Telstra's 4G network without the higher costs typically associated with Telstra's own in-house plans. If that has appeal to you it's worth considering, but if you're happy enough on other networks, it's worth looking at your options before signing up.
How to contact Pennytel
|Phone||1300 652 482|
|Calling hours||Mon to Fri: 8am to 12am AEST|
Sat to Sun: 9am to 9pm AEST
Latest mobile plan deals on Finder
Read why this is one of the best Samsung Galaxy phones yet