Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own.

Finder Car Insurance Awards 2024

We compared 35+ policies, 814 features and got 1,800+ quotes to help you find the best car insurance products of 2024.

The Finder Car Insurance Awards showcase the best car insurance products across three key categories; value, features and low cost. Our methodology has been curated specifically to help drivers find the best fit for their needs by comparing thousands of prices and hundreds of features. See our car insurance winners below.

Best Car Insurance - Value

The best value category winners are for the people who want the most bang for their buck. In a cost of living crisis, price matters more than ever. That's why average costs account for 30% of our overall value score, with 22 different features making up the rest of the rating.

Best Car Insurance - Value
Budget Direct car insurance

Budget Direct's comprehensive car insurance policy won this year's Finder Award for value because it provides a similar level of cover to other insurers but at a lower price. According to our recent 2024 research, the average policy costs $992 per year. That's cheaper than 27 other insurers including NRMA, AAMI and Allianz.

Finalist Car Insurance - Value Highly commended

Hume Bank car insurance

Hume Bank Comprehensive Car Insurance

Hume Bank comprehensive car insurance came in second-place for value out of the 32 eligible comprehensive policies we analysed. It scored highly because it comes with high cover limits for features including hire car, personal items and key replacement, yet still offers a comparatively inexpensive policy. It was the fourth cheapest out of 32 policies.

Virgin Money car insurance

Virgin Money Comprehensive Car Insurance

Virgin comprehensive car insurance ranked in third-place for value out of the 32 eligible comprehensive policies we analysed. This is due to its pricing which sits underneath the national average and its features which are consistent with more expensive policies.

Best Car Insurance - Features

The best features category is for the person who wants the bells and whistles but without the hefty price tag. We compared 814 features and rated every single one of them. We didn't forget about costs though. The final score is based on a 80/20 split of features and price.

Best Car Insurance - Features
Hume Bank car insurance

Hume Bank won this year's Finder Award for features because it covers more than other insurers but is still a comparatively cheap policy. On average, a Hume Bank policy cost $959.

Finalist Car Insurance - Features Highly commended

St George car insurance

St George Comprehensive Car Insurance

St George comprehensive car insurance came in second-place for value out of the 32 eligible comprehensive policies we analysed. It scored highly because it comes with some of the highest cover limits available – that includes up to $100 per day for 30 days for a hire car if your vehicle is stolen, $1,000 for stolen personal items and $1,000 for key replacement.

Budget Direct car insurance

Budget Direct Comprehensive Car Insurance

Budget Direct comprehensive car insurance came in third-place for features out of the 32 eligible comprehensive policies we analysed. It offers plenty of options to tailor your cover yet remains comparatively affordable.

Best Car Insurance - Low Cost

The low cost category is for the person who likes a bargain. You want comprehensive cover (e.g. cover for damage to your car as well as others) but you're not looking for much else. These category winners are based solely on price.

Finder Awards Car Insurance Low Cost Winner
Bingle car insurance

Bingle is this year's Finder Award for low cost. If you want a cheap comprehensive policy, it's hard to look past. On average, it was the cheapest comprehensive car insurance policy out of all the eligible providers we got quotes for.

Finder Awards Car Insurance Low Cost Commended Highly commended

Rollin' car insurance

ROLLiN' Comprehensive Car Insurance

ROLLiN' comprehensive car insurance came in second-place for low cost out of the eligible comprehensive policies we analysed. It's particularly cheap for young drivers.

Hume Bank car insurance

Hume Bank Comprehensive Car Insurance

Hume Bank comprehensive car insurance came in third-place for low cost. On average, a Hume Bank policy cost $959.

About Finder's Car Insurance Awards methodology

Our car insurance experts compared 35+ policies, 814 features and got 1,800+ quotes to select our car insurance award winners for 2024.
The value score was informed by a mix of price and features with price accounting for 30% of the score and features accounting for the other 70%.
The features score was also informed by a mix of price and features, this time with price accounting for 20% of the score and features accounting for the remaining 80%.
Our low cost score was informed entirely by the average price of each provider. Features were not accounted for in this category.
Car insurance methodology

Why you can trust our awards

expert advice

Expert analysis

Our car insurance award winners are based on 250+ hours of research by our expert authors and insights team.

help

They're comprehensive

We researched 37 of Australia's most popular car insurance policies including AAMI, Allianz, Budget Direct and RACV.

independent

They're independent

Some winners may be partners but this never influences our decisions. All policies are based on a clear methodology and must meet editorial standards.

free

Time spent, money saved

We got over 1,800 comprehensive car insurance quotes and found a difference of $1,624 between the cheapest and most expensive policy.

Meet our experts

Gary Ross Hunter insurance expert

Gary Ross Hunter


Editor, Insurance


Gary is Finder's insurance expert. He's responsible for scoring all of the features we analyse and determining the award winners.
Saranga Sudarshan awards analyst

Saranga Sudarshan


Insights Analyst, Finder Awards


Saranga is responsible for gathering the data that fuels the Finder Awards. He ensures our winners are based on facts, not biases.
Peta Taylor car insurance publisher

Peta Taylor


Associate Publisher, Car Insurance


Peta is Finder's car insurance publisher. Working closely with the editorial team, she makes sure you get to hear about all of our winners.

Explore our past Award winners:

Gary Ross Hunter's headshot
Editor, Insurance & Innovations

Gary Ross Hunter was an editor at Finder, specialising in insurance. He’s been writing about life, travel, home, car, pet and health insurance for over 6 years and regularly appears as an insurance expert in publications including The Sydney Morning Herald, The Guardian and news.com.au. Gary holds a Kaplan Tier 2 General Advice General Insurance certification which meets the requirements of ASIC Regulatory Guide 146 (RG146). See full bio

Gary Ross's expertise
Gary Ross has written 730 Finder guides across topics including:
  • Health, home, life, car, pet and travel insurance
  • Managing the cost of living

More guides on Finder

Go to site