We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
AAMI health insurance is part of the Suncorp network — one of Australia's largest financial services brands. It offers 5 hospital options and 4 extras cover policies.
- Its basic hospital policy cover is competitively priced and covers 8 treatments — well above the minimum requirement for basic — including joint reconstructions and tonsil, adenoids and grommets.
- Its basic extras insurance policy comes with pharmaceutical prescriptions cover, unlike many other insurers, though it's not currently available on Finder.
- Its gold hospital policy isn't the lowest-priced option — HBF, Medibank and HCF all generally offer slightly cheaper options.
Review by our insurance writer Gary Hunter
Who is AAMI Health Insurance?
AAMI Health Insurance is designed to help singles, couples, single parents and families with the cost of private treatment. It is issued by nib health funds limited. You can purchase hospital or extras cover individually or combine them for a more comprehensive health care package.
What health insurance options are available?
AAMI's five levels of Hospital cover:
- Basic Hospital Plus. This is for young and healthy families on a budget. It covers the basics including emergency ambulance, accidental injury, joint reconstructions, gynaecology, dental surgery, tonsils, adenoids and grommets, gastrointestinal endoscopy, hernia and appendix, miscarriage and termination of pregnancy, hospital psychiatric services, palliative care and rehabilitation.
- Bronze Hospital Plus. This plan is for healthy young singles and couples not yet planning a family. It includes everything in the Basic Hospital Plus plan and treatment for cancer, strokes, diabetes and ear, nose and throat.
- Silver Everyday Hospital Plus. This is the ideal mid-level cover for older singles and couples as well as completed families. It includes everything in the Bronze Hospital Plus plan as well as heart-related procedures and breast surgery.
- Silver Advantage Hospital Plus. This is for singles and couples not planning on starting a family or who already have completed families. It's perfect for those who want peace of mind that they have a high level of insurance without having to pay extra for pregnancy coverage. It includes everything in Silver Everyday as well as cataracts, joint replacements, dialysis for kidney failure and rehabilitation.
- Gold Hospital. This is comprehensive cover that includes everything in Silver Advantage Hospital Plus plus pregnancy and birth-related services, infertility investigations, assisted reproductive services, weight loss surgery and psychiatric treatment.
AAMI's four levels of Extras cover:
- Starter Extras. This is budget-friendly cover that lets you claim up to 60% back on commonly used healthcare services including chiropractic/osteopathy, physiotherapy, preventative dental, general dental, ambulance, pharmaceutical prescriptions and optical.
- Starter Boost Extras. This lets you claim up to 60% back on a wider range of healthcare services. It includes everything in the Starter Extras plan with higher annual limits plus major dental, natural therapies and remedial massage.
- Everyday Active Extras. This lets you claim up to 60% back on a wider range of healthcare services. It includes everything in the Starter Boost Extras plan with higher annual limits plus orthodontics, podiatry/orthotics, dietary advice, top health aids, psychology, speech pathology (speech therapy), occupational therapy, healthier lifestyle expenses and preventative tests.
- Premium Active Extras. This lets you claim up to 70% back on the cost of an extensive range of services including everything in the Everyday Active Extras plan with higher annual limits plus antenatal and postnatal services, hearing aids/speech processors, eye therapy (orthoptics) and exercise physiology.
Information on tiers
As part of the private health insurance reforms being rolled out from April 1 2019, AAMI now offer Basic, Bronze, Silver and Gold levels of Hospital coverage while their extras coverage is yet to be updated. AAMI offer 5 levels of hospital coverage, including one plus (+) service - the Silver Advantage Hospital Plus - on top of their four standardised policies.
AAMI customers that choose to pay their premiums by direct debit will save 4% on their insurance.
How to make a claim
Making a claim on your AAMI Health Insurance is easy. You can claim at any time simply by filling out an online claim form and uploading a copy of your receipt from your mobile device. You can also call between 8am and 6pm weekdays on 13 22 44.
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 53% off Samsung Galaxy Buds+, 60% off sports and fitness equipment, win $10,000 with Optus.
2021 MG ZS Review
It seems the ZST is really a jack of all trades kind of car. It looks good, is specced well, drives nicely and is acceptably practical.
Apple AirTag Review: Apple’s Version 1 Tile can’t quite find everything
Apple has some immense advantages for ease of setup and wide finding network for its AirTag products, but design miscues and slightly sloppy finding make it a less-than-stellar finding product.
Optical inclusion: Extras cover the top reason for taking out health insurance, survey finds
Extras cover is the number one drawcard for Australians who take out private health cover, new research from Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site, reveals.
Going up: 4.6 million health insurance customers are missing out on potential savings
Millions of Australians could be missing out on health insurance policy savings according to new Finder research.
Power outage? Food spoilage insurance
How home insurance can cover you for food spoilage and save you hundreds on wasted food.
Does home insurance cover hearing aids?
Want hearing aid insurance? Home insurance is the answer.
What are covered events in home insurance?
All home insurance policies have a common list of covered events. These insured events include things like fire, storm and theft.
4.1 million Australians may cut ties with their health insurance provider in 2021
Millions of Australians are shopping around for cheaper health insurance in the new year, according to new research by Finder.
BMW X7 car insurance
Thinking about buying a BMW X7? See average car insurance costs and find out about prestige car insurance
You might like these...
Ask an Expert