Looking for hospital and extras cover? Compare policies from HIF and get a quote online.
The Health Insurance Fund of Australia (HIF) offers its members access to over 1,300 private hospitals and cover for a range of services. Compare HIF hospital, extras and overseas visitors' health cover options online today.
What policies does HIF offer?
There are two major categories for health insurance: hospital cover and extras cover:
Within Hospital cover there are various options, ranging from entry-level covers to top covers which have higher premiums but wider coverage. The levels of cover for HIF hospital insurance are:
- Vital Hospital. Vital Hospital is HIF's lowest priced cover option for young singles and couples. It includes hospital accommodation and treatment in the event of an accident (including intensive care and theatre fees), plus other commonly used inpatient services such as the surgical removal of tonsils, adenoids and appendix.
- Bronze Hospital. Bronze Hospital is HIF's entry-level cover option for singles and couples. It includes commonly used inpatient hospital services like the surgical removal of tonsils, adenoids and appendix, as well as hernia repairs, joint reconstructions, endoscopies and more. On Bronze Hospital, you're covered for a shared room in an HIF-contracted hospital, but you can choose to upgrade to a private room for any admission in return for a small co-payment
- Bronze Plus Hospital. Bronze Plus Hospital is a great option for fit and healthy singles and couples. It includes commonly used inpatient hospital services like the surgical removal of tonsils, adenoids and appendix, as well as hernia repairs, joint reconstructions, endoscopies, dental surgery, non-cosmetic eye surgery, cancer treatment and more.
- Silver Hospital. Silver Hospital is HIF's mid-level cover option for singles, couples and families. It includes everything listed on Bronze Plus Hospital, plus treatment for back, neck, spine, heart and vascular conditions.
- Gold Hospital. Gold Hospital is HIF's multi-award-winning top cover option for singles, couples and families. With Gold Hospital, you'll enjoy comprehensive cover in shared hospital room accommodation for all of the Government's new Clinical Categories, in turn covering you for thousands of inpatient hospital and medical services (essentially anything that's covered by Medicare). With Gold Hospital, you can also choose to apply an optional excess to reduce your premium.
- Gold Star Hospital. Gold Star Hospital is HIF's premium cover option for singles, couples and families. It covers everything that's included on Gold Hospital, plus you're covered for private room accommodation in an HIF-contracted hospital at all times, giving you total peace of mind when you need it most.
Extras cover options provide cover for services such as general dental, endodontic and periodontal. The levels of cover for extras are:
- Vital Options cover. It provides general dental, emergency ambulance and periodontal cover. Plus a 50% rebate for select services like chiropractic, osteopathic, ambulance and physiotherapy up to the limits of the policy.
- Saver Options. Additional cover includes general dental, podiatry, physiotherapy, pharmacy and optical.
- Special Options. Additional cover includes the above and major dental.
- Super Options. Additional cover includes speech therapy, psychology, peak flow meter, orthoptics, orthotics, occupational therapy, hearing aids, medical appliances, diabetics education and auxiliary home nursing.
- Premium Options. Additional cover includes a much higher benefit and no limits for several treatments. For customers who require regular extra services, this option is useful as it covers all treatment with highest benefits.
HIF Visitors and Corporate cover
HIF also have health insurance options for visitors to Australia, which provides non-Australian residents visa compliant cover and cover for businesses, which offers corporate health solutions and affordable prices.
How many members does HIF service?
HIF provides health insurance cover to more than 120,000 members. This gives it a total market share of 0.9%.
Is HIF nonprofit?
How many hospital agreements does HIF have in my state and in total?
If you receive hospital treatment in Australia, the benefit paid by your health fund depends on two main factors:
- The level of health insurance cover you have in place
- Whether your health fund has an agreement with the hospital where you are treated
The table below features a full list of the number of hospital agreements HIF has in place in each Australian state and territory. The industry maximum figure for all health funds is also included as a guide.
|Private hospital agreements||Day hospital agreements|
Does HIF receive a lot of complaints?
HIF accounts for:
- 0.9% of the Australian health insurance market
- 0.4% of all complaints about benefit payments
- 0.3% of all complaints about service
- 0.2% of all complaints that require investigation
Source: Private Health Insurance Ombudsman, State of the Health Fund Report 2017
What excesses are available on HIF policies?
Excesses vary between policies. With HIF, some policies come with a standard excess, while others give you the option to choose your own:
- Vital Hospital cover. Standard excess of $500 applies to overnight and same day admissions. For couples, an excess of $500 applies per person, up to a maximum annual limit of $1,000.
- Bronze Hospital cover. Standard excess of $200 applies to overnight and same day admissions. For couples, an excess of $200 applies per person, up to a maximum annual limit of $400.
- Bronze Plus Hospital cover. Standard excess of $200 applies to overnight and same day admissions. For couples, an excess of $200 applies per person, up to a maximum annual limit of $400.
- Silver Hospital cover. Standard excess of $200 applies to overnight and same day admissions. For couples, an excess of $200 applies per person, up to a maximum annual limit of $400.
Gold hospital cover. If you do choose to apply an excess to reduce your Gold Hospital premium, you'll only have to pay it if you require an overnight admission. The excess also applies to Members aged 18 or over. The choices available are:
- $0 (no excess)
- $100 per person to a max of $200
- $200 per person to a max of $400
- $400 per person to a max of $800
Gold Star hospital cover. The same excess rules for Gold Hospital apply to Gold Star. The available options are:
- $0 (no excess)
- $200 per person to a max of $400 ($200/$400)
- $400 per person to a max of $800 ($400/$800)
- $500 per person to a max of $1000 ($500/$1000)
Paying your HIF health insurance premiums
There are several ways you can pay your HIF health insurance premiums:
- Direct debit. You can have your premiums automatically deducted from your bank account or credit card at a frequency that suits you. You can pay fortnightly, monthly, quarterly, half-yearly (a discount of 2% applies) or yearly (a discount of 4% applies).
- Pay Online. If you need to make a one-off credit card payment at any stage (for example, if your contributions have fallen behind), you can do so within HIF's Online Member Centre.
- BPAY. HIF's Billpay code is 0639 and their BPAY code is 2543. Members can find their reference number noted within the BPAY section of their invoice. Alternatively, login to HIF's Online Member Centre and your reference number will be listed there.
- Payroll deduction. HIF has payroll deduction agreements in place with many employers around Australia.
- Manual invoice. If you want to be sent an invoice whenever your contribution is due, you can pay on a monthly, quarterly, half-yearly or yearly basis.
- At your nearest Australia Post office.
- By phone using the POSTbillpay service.
- By mail if you detach the payment slip at the bottom of your membership renewal.
How can you claim on your HIF policy?
If you need to make an extras claim with HIF, there are several ways to submit your claim:
- On the spot. Healthcare providers with electronic claiming technology can settle your account with you on the spot. All you need to do is swipe your HIF membership card and pay the difference (if any).
- Online. HIF's Online Member Centre gives you access to a range of services to help manage your policy including lodging an Extras claim online. Even better, you'll instantly see the estimated benefit payable! Before you get started, you'll just need to ensure that your provider's fees are paid in full before uploading receipts.
- On your mobile. Submit Extras claims anytime, anywhere, with our easy-to-use mobile App. It's fast, free and reduces paper waste. HIF's Member App also allows Members to update their contact details, view their policy information and claims history, order replacement membership cards, contact HIF and more.
- By email or fax. For paid Extras accounts, simply email a scan of your completed HIF claim form and associated receipts to email@example.com. Alternatively, you can fax everything to (08) 9328 1685.
- By post. Complete an HIF claim form and post it to: HIF, GPO Box X2221, Perth WA 6847.
Get the HIF app
What can't you claim on your HIF policy?
Some general exclusion for HIF insurance cover are:
- Cosmetic services. These services are excluded from all packages and have to be paid fully by members.
- Services not covered by Medicare. These services are also not covered by HIF.
- Level of cover. Only services which are included within a particular package are covered.
- Waiting period. Different treatments have different waiting periods, during which time claims will not be accepted for these services.