Looking for hospital and extras cover? Compare policies from HIF and get a quote online.
The Health Insurance Fund of Australia (HIF) offer its members access to over 500 private hospitals and cover for a range of services. Compare HIF hospital, extras and overseas visitors health cover options online today.
June 2017 special offers from HIF
|Save up to 4% on all HIF policies||
Deal expires 29 Jun 2017
Last verified 19 Jun 2017
|Exclusive: $50 bonus cash card with any HIF policy||
Coupon code expires 29 Jun 2017
Last verified 19 Jun 2017
Show code FI****
After the store tab opens, come back to copy the code
What policies does HIF offer?
There are two major categories for health insurance: hospital cover and extras cover:
Within Hospital cover there are various options, which have increasing premiums and wider coverage.
The levels of cover for HIF Insurance hospital cover are:
- GoldVital cover. This package covers shared room/private room for all covered services. Private room for maternity services is not provided. It also includes same day accommodation and theatre fees, theatre care, intensive care, appendectomy, removal of tonsils, pharmacy drugs (inpatient), prostheses, AccessGap cover, joint reconstruction, minor gynaecological services. Restricted cover is also available for palliative care, rehabilitation and psychiatric care.
- GoldStarter Hospital. This is basic-level private hospital options from HIF Insurance. It covers a range of essentials and may even help you save come tax time. It is a good policy for younger people who are not likely to need cover for cardiac or maternity procedures. Gold starter cover includes intensive care, shared rooms, theatre care, same-day accommodation, same-day theatre, prostheses and pharmacy drugs.
- GoldSaver Hospital. Suitable for young couples and families, this is a step up from GoldStarter and covers cardio thoracic and maternity and joint replacement. Cover includes all of the options covered by GoldStarter with additional cover for private room (maternity) and restricted cover for joint replacement, reproductive procedures such as IVF, and eye surgery.
- Gold Hospital. Is HIF's top shared room hospital insurance cover. Gold hospital covers all of the feature of the preceding options along with cover for theatre fees, ward fees and all other services.
- GoldStar Hospital. GoldStar Hospital is HIF's premium hospital cover and covers private room for all services, theatre fees and all ward fees.
Extras cover options provide cover for services such as general dental, endodontic and periodontal.
The levels of cover for extras are:
- Vital Options cover. It provides general dental, emergency ambulance and periodontal cover. Plus a 50% rebate for select services like chiropractic, osteopathic, ambulance and physiotherapy up to the limits of the policy.
- Saver Options. Additional cover includes general dental, podiatry, physiotherapy, pharmacy and optical.
- Special Options. Additional cover includes the above and major dental.
- Super Options. Additional cover includes speech therapy, psychology, peak flow meter, orthoptics, orthotics, occupational therapy, hearing aids, medical appliances, diabetics education and auxiliary home nursing.
- Premium Options. Additional cover includes a much higher benefit and no limits for several treatments. For customers who require regular extra services, this option is useful as it covers all treatment with highest benefits.
HIF Visitors and Corporate cover
HIF also have health insurance options for visitors to Australia, which provides non-Australian residents visa compliant cover and cover for businesses, which offers corporate health solutions and affordable prices.
What can't you claim on your HIF policy?
Some general exclusion for HIF insurance cover are:
- Cosmetic services. These services are excluded from all packages and have to be paid fully by members.
- Services not covered by Medicare. These services are also not covered by HIF.
- Level of cover. Only services which are included within a particular package are covered. For example, GoldSaver cover will not include podiatric services, gastric banding and obesity surgery.
- Waiting period. Different treatments have different waiting periods, during which time claims will not be accepted for these services.
What excesses are available on HIF policies?
Excesses vary between policies:
- GoldVital hospital cover. Excess of $500 per person to a max of $1000
- GoldStarter and GoldSaver hospital cover. Excess of $200 per person to a max of $400
- Gold hospital cover. Choice of:
- $0 (no excess)
- $100 per person to a max of $200
- $200 per person to a max of $400
- $400 per person to a max of $800
- GoldStar hospital cover. Choice of:
- $0 (no excess)
- $200 per person to a max of $400 ($200/$400)
- $400 per person to a max of $800 ($400/$800)
- $500 per person to a max of $1000 ($500/$1000)
How can you claim on your HIF policy?
- Electronic claiming. Providers who have electronic claiming facilities can get paid on the spot by swiping HIF membership card.
- SmartClaim for mobile. Members who have Apple or Android mobile devices can take a photograph of their extras account and submit them directly.
- Fast track e-claiming. If extras accounts are $700 or less, a scanned copy can be sent back to HIF via email, fax or snail mail.
Get the HIF app
Still have questions about HIF?
How do I pay my contributions?
Contributions can be paid through a number of ways including direct debit, manual invoice and payroll deductions. A yearly payment provides 4% discount and half-yearly payment provides 2% discount.
How long can my dependents remain on my membership?
Dependents can stay on family membership until their 21st birthday. After this they can stay on the family membership longer if they are full time students and are not married or in a de-facto relationship.
Is there an option for overseas visitors?
Overseas visitors have a host of options. For hospital cover there are options like Visitor Saver, Visitor Value, Essential, Intermediate, Comprehensive + Excess and Comprehensive hospital cover and more. These options are different for different visa types. For Extras there are Saver, Special, Super, Premium options. Besides providing cover for health services they also cover repatriation expenses in some cases.
Does HIF offer a loyalty benefit?
The benefit structure of HIF rewards loyalty considerably. The total claimable amount rises substantially the longer the policy is held. Benefits of services like optical, physiotherapy, occupational and speech therapy increase after five years. For services like chiropractic, osteopathic, complementary therapies and pharmacy, the limits increase after three years.
- If your name is Matthew or Jessica you might need health insurance
- Medibank pays $1.1 billion in extras claims over the last financial year
- Health round-up: Medicinal cannabis, gene therapy and Health Star Ratings
- Insurance tax deductions and rebates this EOFY
- Health round-up: Cancer burdening Australians, poor preventative health and NSW fights obesity
- Health insurance rebate