Compare Health Funds from HIF Insurance and receive quotes for cover.
The Health Insurance Fund of Australia (HIF) was first established in 1954 and offers some of Australia’s lowest premiums for Hospital, Extras and Overseas Visitors Cover. With HIF you are provided with access to over 500 private hospitals and won't be penalised financially for visiting the practitioner of your choice.
Health products and services are one of the fastest growing sectors in the economy. This increase reflects longer lifespan and increased awareness about health. In the current economy, it has become imperative to go for private health insurance, as it gives the ability to choose providers, provides quicker services and reduces out-of-pocket expenses.
Do a side-by-side comparison of HIF's entire health insurance policy range
|Save up to 4% on all HIF covers||Pay your premiums annually and save 4% on any HIF policy. Alternatively opt for half-yearly payments and save 2%.
Last verified 6 Mar 2017
HIF health insurance options
There are two major categories for health insurance: Hospital cover and Extras cover.
HIF Insurance Hospital
Within Hospital cover there are various packages which include GoldVital, GoldStarter, GoldSaver, Gold, GoldStar. These options have increasing premiums and wider coverage. GoldVital provides cover for basic services like appendectomy, theatre fees, intensive care fees, joint reconstruction and more. Higher cover options like GoldStar package covers much wider treatment including cover for services like joint replacement, cardiac, gastric banding and more.
HIF Insurance Extras
Extras cover includes packages which include Vital Options, Saver Options, Special Options, Super Options and Premium Options. Vital Options package provides chiropractic services and 50% cover for ambulance transportation up to the policy limits. Services such as general dental, endodontic and periodontal are also covered. At the other end of the cover spectrum, Premium Options includes cover for dental, auxiliary home nursing, hearing aids, optical, orthotics, osteopathic and more. Premium Options cover also provides a higher benefit value with greater spending limits.
HIF Visitors and Corporate cover
HIF also have health insurance options for visitors to Australia, which provides non-Australian residents visa compliant cover and cover for businesses, which offers corporate health solutions and affordable prices.
HIF health insurance levels of cover
The levels of cover for HIF Insurance hospital cover are:
- GoldVital cover. This package covers shared room/private room for all services. Private room for maternity services is not provided. It also includes same day accommodation and theatre fees, theatre care, intensive care, appendectomy, removal of tonsils, pharmacy drugs (inpatient), prostheses, AccessGap cover, joint reconstruction, minor gynaecological services. Restricted cover is also available for palliative care, rehabilitation and psychiatric care.
- GoldStarter Hospital. This is the entry-level private hospital options from HIF Insurance. It covers all the essentials and may even help you save come tax time. It is a good policy for younger people who are not likely to need cover for cardiac or maternity procedures. Gold starter cover includes intensive care, shared rooms, theatre care, same-day accommodation, same-day theatre, prostheses and pharmacy drugs.
- GoldSaver Hospital. Suitable for young couples and families, this is a step up from GoldStarter and covers cardio thoracic and maternity and joint replacement. Cover includes all of the options covered by GoldStarter with additional cover for private room (maternity) and restricted cover for joint replacement, reproductive procedures such as IVF, and eye surgery.
- Gold Hospital. Is HIF's top shared room hospital insurance cover. Gold hospital covers all of the feature of the preceding options along with cover for theatre fees, ward fees and all other services.
- GoldStar Hospital. GoldStar Hospital is HIF's premium hospital cover and covers private room for all services, theatre fees and all ward fees.
The levels of cover for extras are:
- Vital Options cover. It provides general dental, emergency ambulance and periodontal cover. Plus a 50% rebate for select services like chiropractic, osteopathic, ambulance and physiotherapy up to the limits of the policy.
- Saver Options. Additional cover includes general dental, podiatry, physiotherapy, pharmacy and optical.
- Special Options. Additional cover includes the above and major dental.
- Super Options. Additional cover includes speech therapy, psychology, peak flow meter, orthoptics, orthotics, occupational therapy, hearing aids, medical appliances, diabetics education and auxiliary home nursing.
- Premium Options. Additional cover includes a much higher benefit and no limits for several treatments. For customers who require regular extra services, this option is useful as it covers all treatment with highest benefits.
What general exclusions apply?
Some general exclusion for HIF insurance cover are:
- Cosmetic services. These services are excluded from all packages and have to be paid fully by members.
- Services not covered by Medicare. These services are also not covered by HIF.
- Level of cover. Services which are included within a particular package are only covered. For example, GoldSaver cover will not include podiatric services, gastric banding and obesity surgery.
- Waiting period. Different treatments have different waiting periods, during which time claims will not be accepted for these services.
What excesses apply to HIF
Excesses vary between providers:
- GoldVital hospital cover. Excess of $500 per person to a max of $1000
- GoldStarter and GoldSaver hospital cover. Excess of $200 per person to a max of $400
- Gold hospital cover. Choice of:
- $0 (no excess)
- $100 per person to a max of $200
- $200 per person to a max of $400
- $400 per person to a max of $800
- GoldStar hospital cover. Choice of:
- $0 (no excess)
- $200 per person to a max of $400 ($200/$400)
- $400 per person to a max of $800 ($400/$800)
- $500 per person to a max of $1000 ($500/$1000)
Making a claim
- Electronic claiming. Providers who have electronic claiming facilities can get paid on the spot by swiping HIF membership card.
- SmartClaim for mobile. Members who have Apple or Android mobile devices can take a photograph of their extras account and submit them directly.
- Fast track e-claiming. If extras accounts are $700 or less, a scanned copy can be sent back to HIF via email, fax or snail mail.
Get the HIF app
How do I pay my contributions?
Contributions can be paid through a number of ways including direct debit, manual invoice and payroll deductions. A yearly payment provides 4% discount and half-yearly payment provides 2% discount.
How long can my dependents remain on my membership?
Dependents can stay on family membership until their 21st birthday. After this they can stay on the family membership if they are full time students and are not married or in a de-facto relationship.
Is there an option for overseas visitors?
Overseas visitors have a host of options. For hospital cover there are options like Visitor Saver, Visitor Value, Essential, Intermediate, Comprehensive + Excess and Comprehensive hospital cover and more. These options are different for different visa types. For Extras there are Saver, Special, Super, Premium options. Besides providing cover for health services they also cover repatriation expenses in some cases.
Does HIF offer a loyalty benefit?
The benefit structure of HIF rewards loyalty considerably. The total claimable amount rises substantially the longer the policy is held. Benefits of services like optical, physiotherapy, occupational and speech therapy increase after five years. For services like chiropractic, osteopathic, complimentary therapies and pharmacy, the limits increase after three years.