Defence Health Health Insurance Policy Review
Find out if you can save with the help of Defence Health – compare cover and find the right policy.
Defence Health offers a range of health insurance options to more than 235,000 Australians with Defence connections as well as ADF members. With hospital and extras cover to suit everyone from the young and healthy to those who need comprehensive protection, it provides cover for those no longer serving as well as their family and relatives.
They offer memberships to the following people:
- Anyone who has previously served in the ADF, regardless of whether they served part-time or full-time, as well as their partners and children
- Anyone who works in the Department of Defence or a related department
- Anyone who currently works or has previously worked for a Defence supplier
- Anyone who is the extended family member of anyone listed above. This includes parents, children, siblings, grandchildren, ex-spouses and partners
- ADF Partners and families
- Active reservists (anyone serving in the Army Reserve, Air Force Reserve or Naval Reserve), their partners and families.
Permanent ADF members are not required to take out cover for themselves but can cover their partners and children.
Who is Defence Health?
Defence Health is a not-for-profit health fund with over 65 years of experience in the insurance industry. Defence Health is a member-owned health fund that is designed to serve the needs of the Defence community. Rather than being run to benefit shareholders or a big corporation, Defence Health is run in the interests of its members. This means it can offer affordable and competitive cover to Australians with Defence connections – no matter what their health insurance needs are.
What health insurance options are available?
- Ultimate Hospital Gold. This policy offers comprehensive cover for all that Medicare covers, including everything from joint reconstructions and heart services to pregnancy IVF and psychiatric services.
- Core Hospital Silver. Core Hospital Silver is Defence Health's mid-range offering and includes the 26 clinical categories required for a Silver rating and covers for the cost of a range of procedures like brain and nervous system, ear, nose and throat, eye (not cataracts) and more.
- Everyday Hospital Bronze Plus. This policy includes the 18 clinical categories required for a Bronze rating, providing cover for the likes of breast surgery (medically necessary) diabetes management (excluding insulin pumps) and dental surgery.
- Essentials Hospital Basic Plus. This basic policy includes ambulance and accidents. If you want cover for a selection of basic hospital treatments or simply to avoid being hit with levies and loadings by the government, this policy is designed with you in mind.
- Premier Extras. This offers top-level extras protection for a range of general treatments including ambulance, preventative dental, general dental, major dental, orthodontics, optical, physio, chiropractic, antenatal and postnatal services, pharmacy and vaccinations, alternative therapies, exercise physiology, psychology, podiatry, speech therapy, occupational therapy, dietitian and more.
- Value Extras. This mid-range policy covers a similarly wide range of treatments but offers lower benefit limits than a Premier Extras policy. Features include comprehensive ambulance cover, no annual limit on general dental treatment, no-gap glasses deals and much more.
- Essential Extras. This option is designed to offer wallet-friendly cover on the general treatments you're most likely to use. This includes cover for general and preventative dental, ambulance treatment, optical, physio, travel vaccinations and alternative therapies.
ADF packages are for ADF members, their partners and families only:
- Total Package Gold. The ADF Total package allows you to take advantage of a range of extras treatments with generous annual limits. It offers higher benefits on dental, speech therapy, physiotherapy, psychology, antenatal and postnatal services and more. As a result of national pricing, your premium stays the same no matter where you are posted.
- Essentials Package Basic Plus. The ADF Essentials Package is its entry level combined policy, which covers a limited range of hospital and extras treatments.
Information on tiers
The new classification system that has been introduced last year means that Defence Health have created a range of new policy options. Their hospital cover policies have adapted to the new requirements set out by the government, as well as new 'plus' categories which mean they exceed the minimum standards set out by the government.
Young people discount
If you're over 21, single and not studying full-time, you're not covered by your family's health insurance. Defence Health has a Young Adult Support Plan which lets singles under 25 maintain health cover. All you need to do is take out your own Value Extras cover (or Premier Extras) and you can stay on your family's hospital cover.
- Dental & Optical Network. Available to all members with extras cover. Dental & Optical network gives members access to dental care at reduced fees, optical benefits and you can also receive no gap on preventive treatments.
- Health and Wellbeing Programs. Most members with combined hospital and extras cover have access to Defence Health's health and wellbeing benefits. This includes help to quit smoking and benefits paid for a range of health screening tests
- Ex-serving exclusives. Defence Health provides a number of exclusive offers to ex-serving members, providing guidance on managing your health and wellbeing after you transition.
- Young Adult Support Plan. Singles under 25 can maintain hospital and extras cover when they sign up to Value Extras cover.
- MyBaby Support Program. The MyBaby support program provides members with expert advice, tailored content and practical ante and postnatal support.
How to make a claim
In many cases, extras claims can be lodged and paid on the spot using electronic claiming; all you have to do is swipe your Defence Health membership card. For all other claims, you will need to claim through Defence Health's mobile claiming app on your smartphone or tablet, online through the member area of the Defence Health website, or by completing a claim form and emailing, faxing or mailing it back to Defence Health.
Read more on this topic
Online hearing tests Free and easy to use, online hearing tests only take a few minutes.
Compare online pharmacy services Online pharmacies work like any other online shop. Compare your options today.
Compare online doctor and GP services An online doctor is just like any other GP – except the appointment usually takes place via video call rather than face-to-face.
Health funds freeze prices in fight to keep customers Major insurers are postponing the planned price hike. Here's why you should care.
How much does dental really cost? SPONSORED: Find out how much you should be paying for these 5 common dental procedures
Complaints drop following health insurance overhaul Ombudsman says the new tier system could be to thank for positive change.
Health insurance premium rates are rising in Australia Get the lowdown on what's happening, so you can get a better deal on your health insurance.
Medical costs comparison Doing a medical costs comparison could save you a lot of money. Here's how to reduce your out-of-pocket medical expenses.
You might like these...
Ask an Expert