Over 80,000 people are covered by South Australian not-for-profit fund Health Partners.
Health Partners provides affordable, quality private insurance for South Australians, and have been doing so for 80 years. With four hospital cover options, and three extras policies, they've got you covered for whatever life might throw at your health.
Top 3 features
- Good for South Australians looking to save on extras, with cheap physio visits.
- Good for young people under 30 after a health insurance discount.
- Good for families with children, as there's no excess for kids.
Who is Health Partners?
Health Partners is the only South Australian Members Own Health Fund and has offered value-for-money cover, backed by friendly customer service, for 80 years.
South Australia's largest open health fund, Health Partners provides cover to over 80,000 individuals and is not-for-profit. They're driven to perform solely for the benefit of our members, with profits invested back into the health fund to help provide quality, value-for-money health insurance to our members.
The fund owns and operates the state's largest private dental practice and their own optical stores, so members have the option to be looked after from A to B by Health Partners, or go to a provider of their choice.
What health insurance options are available?
Health Partners offers a wide range of hospital cover, extras cover and package cover options to suit many different health insurance needs. Head to their website to see a Health Partners quote for your best health insurance option with the fund.
- Bronze Hospital. This entry-level hospital cover option provides cover for a number of essential treatments and services. It does exclude high-cost procedures and services, for example pregnancy and joint replacements, and is designed for people who are young and healthy, needing only minimal cover. Bronze Hospital cover includes cardiac procedures, treatment for accidents, joint reconstructions, pharmaceuticals, tonsil and appendix removal and wisdom teeth removal.
- Silver Hospital. With a choice of excess and some exclusions, this policy helps work within your budget and keep your premiums down. Plus, any children on your policy do not have an excess.
- Silver Hospital Plus. Top cover that excludes pregnancy and childbirth related procedures, with a choice of excess to reduce your premiums. Plus, you're covered for both emergency and non-emergency ambulance.
- Gold Hospital. The top hospital cover option, it's designed to provide complete peace of mind. It covers everything from pregnancy and psychiatric services to dialysis, health management programs and even home sleep studies.
- Starter Extras. A good place to begin, this policy offers optical, $18 physio visits, and a 20% discount at pharmacies for prescriptions.
- Standard Extras. This mid-level option increases your cover with chiro, podiatry, major dental, plus $16 physio visits and a 20% discount at pharmacies for prescriptions.
- Top Extras. The highest level of cover, this policy also includes speech therapy, massage, psychology, gap-free services for kids, plus $12 physio visits and more.
Information on tiers
Following the compulsory change from 1 April 2019 on the government tiers (Gold, Silver, Bronze and Basic), Health Partners has renamed and adjusted their hospital and extras policies.
They're also now offering a choice of premiums, in line with the reforms, and discounts for people under 30.
Young people discount
For those under 30 years old, you can save up to 10% on your premiums, and keep the discount until you're 41, so long as you stay with Health Partners.
|Age when you take out hospital cover||Discount|
- Dental and optical centres. Health Partners operates its own network of dental and optical centres, providing exclusive benefits and discounts to health fund members.
- Pharmacy network. Health Partners has a statewide network of 50 South Australian pharmacies, where health fund members can access unique benefits and discounts for no extra cost.
- Itsmygoal.com.au. This free online health management tool helps members set, track and achieve their health and fitness goals.
- Health Risk Assessment. Available to members who hold package cover or Gold or Silver Extras, this online tool allows you to evaluate your current health status and work out how you can improve your health.
- Home Health Partner. Available to all Health Partners members with package cover or standalone hospital cover, this program makes it easier to transfer from hospital to home.
- Newborn Support Program. This program gives members access to their very own midwife to provide advice on the health of you and your baby.
- Travel insurance. Health Partners also offers travel insurance policies to members through Allianz Global Assistance.
- Special member offers. Health Partners members can also take advantage of discounts at a range of partner businesses, including savings on everything from pharmacy products and sunglasses to sporting goods and camping supplies.
Does Health Partners offer a loyalty benefit?
Health Partners members can take advantage of the following discounts at participating partner businesses:
- 20%pharmacy discount. Available at participating pharmacies for most non-prescription items.
- 20% oral health discount. This discount is available at all Health Partners Dental Centres.
- Sunglasses discount. All members receive a minimum 30% discount at all Health Partners Optical Centres.
- $12 movie tickets. Discounted movie tickets are available at any Wallis cinema.
Members who take out the Couples Choice package option can also take advantage of the Pregnancy Loyalty Reward. While this package excludes pregnancy and birth-related services from cover, after two years of having cover in place, members can transfer to a policy that does cover pregnancy and avoid the usual 12-month waiting period.
How to make a claim
There are several options available when you need to make a Health Partners health cover claim. These include:
- The Health Partners App. You can download the free app to your smartphone, register your details and submit a photo of your itemised account. Most benefits are paid within two days.
- Claim form. Claim forms are available to download from the Health Partners website and from Health Partners centres. Completed forms and itemised accounts can then be mailed to the health fund.
- On the spot. You can claim when you visit a HICAPS fund or Health Partners professional by presenting your Health Partners membership card.
Claims are payable by cheque or direct credit.