Health Partners Health Insurance
Over 80,000 people are covered by South Australian not-for-profit fund Health Partners.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Health Partners provides affordable, quality private insurance for South Australians, and have been doing so for 80 years. With four hospital cover options, and four extras policies, they've got you covered for whatever life might throw at your health.
Top 3 features
- Good for South Australians looking to save on extras, with cheap physio visits.
- Good for young people under 30 after a health insurance discount.
- Good for families with children, as there's no excess for kids.
Who is Health Partners?
Health Partners is the only South Australian Members Own Health Fund and has offered value-for-money cover, backed by friendly customer service, for 80 years.
South Australia's largest open health fund, Health Partners provides cover to over 80,000 individuals and is not-for-profit. They're driven to perform solely for the benefit of our members, with profits invested back into the health fund to help provide quality, value-for-money health insurance to our members.
The fund owns and operates the state's largest private dental practice and their own optical stores, so members have the option to be looked after from A to B by Health Partners, or go to a provider of their choice.
What health insurance options are available?
Health Partners offers a wide range of hospital cover, extras cover and package cover options to suit many different health insurance needs. Head to their website to see a Health Partners quote for your best health insurance option with the fund.
- Basic Hospital Plus. Health Partners' entry-level product and provides cover for some common treatments including tonsils, joint reconstruction and dental surgery. Designed for those not looking to spend a high amount on health care and have cover for the bare essentials. Basic hospital Plus also offers cover for unlimited emergency ambulance and offers you your choice of excess.
- Bronze Hospital Plus. This hospital cover option provides cover for a number of essential treatments and services. It does exclude high-cost procedures and services, for example pregnancy and joint replacements, and is designed for people who are young and healthy, needing only minimal cover. Bronze Hospital Plus cover includes treatment for accidents, joint reconstructions, tonsil and appendix removal and wisdom teeth removal.
- Silver Hospital. With a choice of excess and some exclusions, this policy helps work within your budget and keep your premiums down. Plus, any children on your policy do not have an excess.
- Silver Hospital Plus. Top cover that excludes pregnancy and childbirth-related procedures, with a choice of excess to reduce your premiums. Plus, you're covered for both emergency and non-emergency ambulance. It also restricts hospital psych and excludes surgical weight loss.
- Gold Hospital. The top hospital cover option, it's designed to provide complete peace of mind. It covers everything from pregnancy and psychiatric services to dialysis, health management programs and even home sleep studies.
- Base Extras. A good place to begin, this option offers 100% back on a dental check up, optical (as per your limits) and a physio visit. You will also receive 20% off pharmacy prescriptions when you use affiliated pharmacies.
- Good Extras.Get a access to a wider range of benefits with this mid level cover. You can access benefits like general & major dental, psychology and remedial massage.
- Better Extras. High level extras options that gives you further access to benefits including major dental, orthodontics and 100% back on 2 dental check ups.
- Best Extras. The highest level of cover, this policy also includes speech therapy, massage, psychology, gap-free services for kids, plus 2 physio visits and more.
- Freedom Extras. This gives you 100% back on optical, up to your annual limits, a combined limit on general and major dental, a $300 limit on physiotherapy, chiropractic, osteopathy and exercise physiology, plus more.
- Freedom Max Extras. With Freedom Max Extras, you'll 100% back on optical, up to your annual limits, unlimited general dental, and a $500 limit on physiotherapy, chiropractic, osteopathy and exercise physiology. You can also get money towards aids and appliances including sleep apnoea apparatus and more.
Information on tiers
Following the compulsory change from 1 April 2019 on the government tiers (Gold, Silver, Bronze and Basic), Health Partners has renamed and adjusted their hospital and extras policies.
They're also now offering a choice of premiums, in line with the reforms, and discounts for people under 30.
Young people discount
For those under 30 years old, you can save up to 10% on your premiums, and keep the discount until you're 41, so long as you stay with Health Partners.
|Age when you take out hospital cover||Discount|
- Dental and optical centres. Health Partners operates its own network of dental and optical centres, providing exclusive benefits and discounts to health fund members.
- Pharmacy network. Health Partners has a statewide network of over 50 South Australian pharmacies, where health fund members can access unique medicine benefits and discounts for no extra cost.
- Health Risk Assessment. Available to members who hold package cover or Gold or Silver Extras, this online tool allows you to evaluate your current health status and work out how you can improve your health.
- Hospital Support Program. Available to all Health Partners members with package cover or standalone hospital cover, this program makes it easier to transfer from hospital to home.
- Newborn Support Program. This program gives members access to their very own midwife to provide advice on the health of you and your baby.
- Special member offers. Health Partners members can also take advantage of discounts at a range of partner businesses, including savings on everything from pharmacy products and sunglasses to sporting goods and gym memberships.
Does Health Partners offer a loyalty benefit?
Health Partners members can take advantage of the following discounts at participating partner businesses:
- 20%pharmacy discount. Available at participating pharmacies for most non-prescription items.
- 20% oral health discount. This discount is available at all Health Partners Dental Centres.
- Sunglasses discount. All members receive a minimum 30% discount at all Health Partners Optical Centres.
Members who take out the Couples Choice package option can also take advantage of the Pregnancy Loyalty Reward. While this package excludes pregnancy and birth-related services from cover, after two years of having cover in place, members can transfer to a policy that does cover pregnancy and avoid the usual 12-month waiting period.
How to make a claim
There are several options available when you need to make a Health Partners health cover claim. These include:
- The Health Partners App. You can download the free app to your smartphone, register your details and submit a photo of your itemised account. Most benefits are paid within two days.
- Claim form. Claim forms are available to download from the Health Partners website and from Health Partners centres. Completed forms and itemised accounts can then be mailed to the health fund.
- On the spot. You can claim when you visit a provider with HICAPS or a Health Partners practise by presenting your Health Partners membership card.
Claims are payable by cheque or direct credit.
More guides on Finder
Optical inclusion: Extras cover the top reason for taking out health insurance, survey finds
Extras cover is the number one drawcard for Australians who take out private health cover, new research from Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site, reveals.
Going up: 4.6 million health insurance customers are missing out on potential savings
Millions of Australians could be missing out saving money on their health insurance policy, according to Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site.
4.1 million Australians may cut ties with their health insurance provider in 2021
Millions of Australians are shopping around for cheaper health insurance in the new year, according to new research by Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site.
How much do dentures cost in Australia?
Find out how much dentures cost in Australia and how you can get cover with mid-level health insurance.
Health insurance for young adults
Find out how to get cheap health insurance for young people.
Hotel health and safety measures that will help keep you safe during COVID-19
Have a safe stay on your next Australian getaway with these hotel health and safety measures.
1 October price hike: Aussies urged to do a health check on their insurance
Finder research shows that Australians have just under one week to beat the health insurance price increase on 1 October.
Finder Awards 2020 Best Health Insurance – Bronze (Hospital)
Winner, finalists and methodology for Finder Awards 2020 Best Health Insurance - Bronze (Hospital).
Finder Awards 2020 Best Health Insurance – Silver (Hospital)
Winner, finalists and methodology for Finder Awards 2020 Best Health Insurance - Silver (Hospital).
Tax time: One million Australians paying health cover penalty
Thousands of young Australians only have one week left to take out health insurance to avoid the Lifetime Health Cover Loading penalty, according to new research by Finder, Australia's most visited comparison site.
You might like these...
Ask an Expert