Get cover to suit your budget and lifestyle.
What does the Medicare Levy Surcharge do?
If you don't have hospital cover you'll pay:
- 1% for singles earning over $90,000 ($180,000 for families)
- 1.25% for singles earning over $105,001 ($210,001 for families)
- 1.5% for singles earning over $140,000 ($280,001 for families)
How do I avoid it?
To avoid the MLS your policy must:
- Be an appropriate level of hospital cover
- Be provided by a registered Australian health fund
- Have an excess of $500 or less for singles and $1,000 or less for all other policies
How is it calculated?
The MLS takes into consideration:
- Your taxable income
- Your total reportable fringe benefits
- Any amounts on which family trust distribution tax has been paid
Final points to keep in mind
- Extras cover does not exempt you from the MLS.
- Income thresholds for families increase by $1,500 per child after the first child
- The higher your excess, the lower your premiums
What does the Lifetime Health Cover Loading do?
- Adds 2% to the cost of your health insurance premium for every year that you don't have hospital cover once you turn 31
- Caps at a maximum increase of 70%
- Stays in effect until you hold hospital cover for 10 consecutive years
How do I avoid it?
- Take out an appropriate level of hospital cover
- The policy must be provided by a registered Australian health fund
How long do I have after I turn 31 to take out cover?
- The Lifetime Health Cover base day is 1 July following your 31st birthday.
Are there any special exemptions?
- Australians who were born on or before 1 July 1934
- Serving members of the Australian Defence Force (ADF)
- Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) Gold Card holders
- Learn more about LHC exemptions and special conditions
Why was the Private health insurance rebate introduced?
- To make private health insurance more accessible to Australians.
What's the eligibility criteria for the rebate?
- You must fall under the age and income thresholds
- You must be a green or blue Medicare cardholder
- You can still claim the rebate with extras only cover
How do I claim the rebate?
- Through tax when you fill out your annual return
- Or as a premium reduction when you take out health insurance
Private health insurance rebate levels
EOFY Health Insurance Deals
Australian funds know that tax time is a popular time for buying health insurance. See what deals are on offer this EOFY?
Health insurance types
Unsure of what type of cover you need. Explore your health insurance options. Hospital cover is what's needed to avoid surcharges.
Health insurance for life stages
An ideal policy when you are single and 20 may not be when you are 40 and have a family, or when you are enjoying retirement.
- How health insurance could save you cash in tax time 2020
- Final days before thousands of Aussies are hit with health insurance penalty
- Aussie health funds offer EOFY bargains
- Earning over $90K? There’s an easy way to cut your tax bill
- Turned 31 recently? It’s time to decide about health insurance
- Health funds freeze prices in fight to keep customers