Latrobe Health Insurance
Providing protection to more than 80,000 people Australia-wide, Latrobe offers you a wide choice of cover.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Latrobe Health Services are part of a network of Members Own Health Funds that focus on giving good prices and choices to their members. With several hospital cover options and nine different extras policies, you can find benefits to suit your needs.
Top 3 features
- Good for flexible payment options on different Gold-level hospital plans.
- Good for extras if all you want is dental. Latrobe offers a dental-only extras policy - something that's not too common these days.
- Beware if you're looking for an extras policy that pays a percentage of your treatment costs. Latrobe's extras policies offer set limits for most treatments.
Who is Latrobe
Latrobe Health Services were founded in 1951 to provide quality health care to their members. As a Members Own Health Fund, Latrobe is part of a network of nineteen health insurers providing member-focused benefits to over 2.5 million Australians.
Latrobe is a not-for-profit organisation, and by taking out cover with them you'll enjoy a reduced Medicare Levy Surcharge as well as government rebates on your private health insurance premiums.
What health insurance options are available?
- Gold hospital. This is standard top-level hospital cover, covering all 38 standard treatments in hospitals and accomodation cover, theatre fees and more.
- Silver Plus Hospital. This covers everything that gold does, except pregnancy, assisted reproductive services and weight loss surgery. Hospital psychiatric services are also only covered on a restricted basis.
- Silver Hospital. This one covers everything required for silver level cover, such as diabetes management, bone, joint and muscle, skin and more.
- Bronze Plus Hospital. This policy provides cover for services in 18 clinical categories plus a few more, including dental surgery and blood.
Latrobe Health Services offers seven different extras policies you can purchase as a standalone policy:
- Basic Extras. This is a basic policy that covers general dental, major dental, a few therapies and pharmacy. It offers mainly set limits, meaning you'll get a rebate equal to a specific amount rather than a percentage of the overall cost, regardless of how much the service costs. These limits are quite small e.g $500 for dental and $250 chiro, physio and podiatry.
- Core Families Extras. This covers general dental, optical, exercise physiology, antenatal and postnatal classes, acupuncture, myotherapy, osteopathy, psychology, chiropractic and massage (with a registered provider).
- Core Singles and Couples. This is similar to Core Families but comes with a dietician and doesn't cover speech therapies, antenatal and postnatal classes or air compressor pumps.
- Core Extras. This covers quite a lot, including general dental, major dental, orthodontics, a range of therapies, pharmacy, dietician, acupuncture, optical, visiting nurses, health screenings and more.
- Premier Family Care Extras. Top extras cover tailored to families meaning you get antenatal and postnatal classes, pregnancy compression garments as well as important services like dental and optical.
- Premier Singles and Couples. Comprehensive extras cover but excludes pregnancy and family related services so you're not paying for something you don't need.
- Premier Extras. Similar to other levels of premier cover except you'll also receive treatment for visiting nurses, lymphoedema garments, prostheses (non-surgically implanted) and health screenings such as mammograms, bone density testing and mole mapping.
- Healthy Start Package. This is a combined hospital and extras package, providing cover for treatment in a public hospital and restricted cover for treatment in a private hospital. It also comes with cover for limited general dental, chiro, physio and more. An age-based discount may apply.
Information on tiers
Almost all the hospital cover options offered by Latrobe Health Services fall into the Gold tier of health insurance, indicating that they consider it to be as good a cover as you can obtain. The cover they offer is standard, the equal of other Gold-tier policies available. Their two non-Gold hospital options are the equivalent of Basic-tier policies elsewhere, with restricted benefits provided for most treatments.
The extras cover provided by Latrobe Health Services spans three basic tiers, offering variable levels of cover depending on what an individual might want. The three tiers give decent flexibility for what's on offer, though some extras are only available in conjunction with a hospital cover policy.
Besides the benefits of your health insurance, you receive the following for signing up with Latrobe Health Services:
- Government rebate. You can receive a significant rebate on your private insurance premiums depending on your income levels. The lower your income and greater your age, the higher the percentage you'll receive back.
- Medicare Levy Surcharge (MLS). If your income is more than $90,000 and you don't have private health insurance, you'll have a levy raised of 1-1.5% of your income. Depending on your income, it may be cheaper to pay premiums than the MLS.
- LHC loading. Taking a private insurance prevents loading fees (which kick in after 30 if you haven't had private health insurance) which can be as high as 70% of the original premium cost.
How to make a claim
There are two ways to claim on your extras. You can either:
- Claim electronically. Some extras, including chiropractic, dental, osteopathy, physiotherapy and more, can be claimed via HICAPS or Health Point using your member card. You can also download Latrobe's mobile app to make a claim.
- Claim by mail. All extras can be claimed in person or by mail by either filling out a claim form and mailing it to Latrobe or by visiting a Latrobe branch.
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 35% off Dungeons & Dragons, 50% off New Balance shoes, Cheap Echo Show 5 smart home hubs.
Optical inclusion: Extras cover the top reason for taking out health insurance, survey finds
Extras cover is the number one drawcard for Australians who take out private health cover, new research from Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site, reveals.
Going up: 4.6 million health insurance customers are missing out on potential savings
Millions of Australians could be missing out saving money on their health insurance policy, according to Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site.
Where can I travel from Australia in 2021?
Discover exactly what you need to know about leaving Australia.
Best iPhone 12 Pro cases in Australia
Keep your new tech protected with one of the best iPhone 12 Pro cases available right here in Australia.
Online hospitality courses
Here’s where you can gain qualifications in hospitality at your own pace with an online course.
Home office insurance
We talk you through how to get home office insurance.
How to find safe, secure and affordable boat storage near you.
American Express Qantas Business Rewards Card
The Amex Qantas Business Rewards Card offers 150,000 bonus Qantas Points, no pre-set spending limit and platinum perks including complimentary insurances.
Power outage? Food spoilage insurance
How home insurance can cover you for food spoilage and save you hundreds on wasted food.
You might like these...
Ask an Expert