Is Australian Unity the health fund for you?
Australian Unity is a national health care, financial services and retirement living organisation that provides its services to more than half a million Australians. Australian Unity have been in the industry for over 175 years and offer a variety of health insurance services.
Compare the full policy range offered by Australian Unity
Australia Unity Health Insurance options
Australian Unity offers four different combined hospital and extras packages including: Basic Starter, Smart Start, Smart Essentials and Smart Combination.
- Basic Starter includes hospital cover for accidents (no excess payable) and some specified procedures, emergency ambulance transportation (one per year), cover for hospital doctor’s bills up to the amount listed in the Medicare Benefit Schedule (please note doctors can charge an amount that exceeds the MBS which will not be covered) and joint reconstructions and investigations up to specified limits. Also includes up to $1,000 per year for a combination of extras including general and preventative dental, physio, chiro, natural therapies, remedial massage, dietetics and podiatry.
- Smart Start includes hospital cover for accidents and day surgeries (no excess payable), emergency ambulance transportation, day surgery and procedures and eye procedures (cataracts and lens procedures). Also includes up to $1,300 per year for a range of extras including general dental, optical, physio, chiro, natural therapies and travel vaccinations.
- Smart Essentials includes cover for accommodation and theatre fees, day surgery and procedures (no excess payable), emergency ambulance transportation, joint reconstructions and investigations, surgical prostheses, rehabilitation, sterilisations, heart-related services and hospital care and rehabilitation at home. Also includes up to $2,150 per year for extras including general and major dental, optical, physio, chiro, osteo, myotherapy, natural therapies and remedial massage.
- Smart Combination includes hospital cover for a range of common procedures, heart-related services and some specialised services including hip and knee replacements, cataract and lens procedures and renal dialysis. It also provides cover of up to $2,725 per year for a combination of extras including general and major dental, optical, physio, chiro, osteo, myotherapy, natural therapies and remedial massage.
Hospital only cover
Australian Unity also offers hospital and extras cover as standalone products. Australian Unity Hospital Covers include Basic Hospital, Basic+ Hospital, Mid Hospital, Mid Hospital with Pregnancy, Gold Hospital and Platinum Hospital
- Basic Hospital affordable hospital cover with no excess for accidents plus emergency ambulance transportation, appendix, tonsil, adenoid and wisdom teeth removal, joint reconstructions and investigations, surgical prostheses and hospital care and rehabilitation at home.
- Basic+ Hospital includes accommodation and theatre fees, day surgery and procedures, emergency ambulance transportation (including two ambulance attendances per year where you are not taken to hospital), joint reconstructions and investigations, surgical prostheses, sterilisations and hospital care and rehabilitation at home.
- Mid Hospital includes all the benefits offered under Basic+ Hospital cover plus the inclusion of cover for heart-related services.
Mid Hospital with Pregnancy
- Mid Hospital with Pregnancy includes all the benefits offered under Mid Hospital cover plus cover for pregnancy.
- Hold hospital offers a high level of cover for accidents, a range of everyday procedures, heart-related services and some specialised services.
- Platinum Hospital a high level of hospital cover including all the benefits of Mid Hospital cover plus hip and knee replacements and revisions, cataract and lens procedures and renal dialysis.
Australian Unity’s standalone extras covers include Basic Extras, Bronze Extras, Silver Extras, Gold Extras and Platinum 80%.
- Basic Extras. Basic Extras covers up to $950 per year on extras including general and preventative dental, optical, physio, chiro, osteo, natural therapies, remedial massage, pharmacy and travel vaccinations.
- Bronze Extras. Bronze Extras provides up to $1,200 per year for the most common extras including general and preventative dental, physio, chiro, osteo, natural therapies and remedial massage, and crowns, bridges and dentures.
- Silver Extras. Silver Extras offers cover for a broad range of services and allows you to claim up to $3,400 per person.
- Gold Extras. This high level extras option covers you for a broad range of extras and will allow you to claim back up to $6,730 per person.
- Platinum 80%. This policy entitles you 80% back on all included extras and offers the highest limits of all the extras policies with cover for up to $8,500.
Are there any additional benefits?
It is important to Australian Unity that they find the right cover for your situation and that you’re only paying for services you need. These are some of the additional benefits that come with being an Australian Unity Insurance policyholder:
- Lifestyle packages. Australian Unity lifestyle packages have been created to motivate you to stay fit and healthy. The packages give you money back on a variety of different services that keep you healthy
- 30-day money back guarantee. If you are unsatisfied with your cover over the first 30 days, Australian Unity offers a 30-day cooling-off period.
- No excess for kids. With Platinum Hospital, Gold Hospital, Mid Hospital and Mid Hospital with Pregnancy there is no excess for your kids if they visit the hospital.
How many hospital agreements does Australian Unity have in my state and in total?
There are two main factors that affect the benefit you receive from your health fund for hospital services:
- The level of cover you choose
- Whether your health fund has an agreement with the hospital where you receive treatment
The table below lists the number of hospital agreements Australian Unity has in your state or territory compared to the maximum of any health fund across the industry:
|Private hospital agreements||Day hospital agreements|
|NSW||94 (industry maximum: 101)||90 (industry maximum: 96)|
|ACT||6 (industry maximum: 7)||7 (industry maximum: 9)|
|VIC||79 (industry maximum: 84)||70 (industry maximum: 75)|
|QLD||52 (industry maximum: 57)||45 (industry maximum: 51)|
|SA||26 (industry maximum: 29)||25 (industry maximum: 27)|
|WA||20 (industry maximum: 23)||22 (industry maximum: 26)|
|TAS||5 (industry maximum: 8)||3 (industry maximum: 5)|
|NT||2 (industry maximum: 2)||1 (industry maximum: 1)|
How can I pay less for health insurance?
There are a number of ways that you can use to help you save on your Australian Unity Health Insurance:
- Suit your cover to your needs. Australian Unity offers a variety of options for health insurance, so it is important to choose the right cover. Australian Unity have a build your own policy options, which will allow you to tailor a policy to your needs.
- Pay your premiums up front. If you pay your premiums six months in advance, you're eligible to a 2% discount.
- Direct debit discount. If you set up a direct debit for your premiums, you're eligible for a 4% discount.
- Increase your excess. Increasing your excess will reduce your premiums. If you're healthy and less likely to make a claim on your insurance you will end up paying less in the long run.
Paying your Australian Unity health insurance premiums
Australian Unity premiums can be paid monthly or annually. A 4% discount applies if you pay your premium annually.
Premiums can be paid online or over the phone, or by direct debit from your nominated bank account or credit card. A 4% discount applies when you pay by direct debit but is not available in conjunction with the discount for paying annually.
Can I get cover if I'm not an Australian citizen?
Australian Unity have two options for those on working visas: Budget Workers Cover and Workers Cover Plus. These policies cover benefits including:
- In-hospital doctor and specialist consultations
- Overnight accommodation, day surgery and theatre fees in public hospitals
- Medically necessary ambulance services
Australian Unity also offer three levels of overseas visitors health cover on non-working visas: Basic, Mid and Top Overseas Visitors Cover. Benefits include:
- Accommodation and theatre fees
- Assistance with medical fees
- Day surgery
- Emergency room fees
- Emergency ambulance
How do I go about making a claim?
The claims process for Australian Unity varies depending on the type of service you need to claim.
If you need to make an extras claim you can do so in the following ways:
- On the spot. You can swipe your Australian Unity membership card on the spot by using your health care provider’s HICAPS or CSC machine.
- Via the Australian Unity app. Australian Unity’s mobile claiming app allows you to upload photos of your receipts to claim up to $300 at a time. The app is available from the App Store and Google Play.
- Online. You can log into your Australian Unity online account to submit your claim.
- Over the phone. You can call Australian Unity on 1800 807 144 to get your claim processed over the phone.
- By mail, email or fax. The final option is to download a health cover claim form from the Australian Unity website, complete the form, attach your receipts and send everything off to the postal address, email address or fax number listed on the form.
The benefit payment will then be credited to your nominated bank account within two to three business days.
If you need to make a claim for emergency ambulance, all you have to do is:
- Download and complete a health cover claim form from the Australian Unity website
- Attach your ambulance receipt to the form
- Mail or fax the form and your receipt to Australian Unity (the address and fax number are listed on the form)
Finally, if you need to claim for medical costs incurred with your surgeon or doctor, the claims process varies depending on whether or not your doctor participates in Australian Unity’s Gap Cover scheme:
- Participating doctors send your bill to Medicare and Australian Unity for payment
- Doctors who do not participate will send you a bill. You will then need to:
- Visit Medicare and get them to issue a cheque for your doctor and a medical statement for your health fund
- Download and complete an Australian Unity health cover claim form
- Attach your medical statement from Medicare
- Mail the form and medical statement to Australian Unity
- Australian Unity will send a cheque for you to pass on to your doctor
Use the Australian Unity Claims app
Find out more about Australian Unity Health Insurance
Want to know more about Australian Unity? Here is some more info about Australian Unity to help you make your decision:
How many members does Australian Unity service?
Australian Unity has more than 340,000 health insurance members around Australia. This gives it a total market share of 3.1%.
What do Australian Unity members think about their cover?
Australian Unity accounts for:
- 3.1% of the Australian health insurance market
- 5.1% of all complaints about benefit payments
- 5.7% of all complaints about service
- 4.8% of all complaints that require investigation
Source: Private Health Insurance Ombudsman, State of the Health Fund Report 2016
Still have some questions? FAQs about Australian Unity
- Two major health funds offer premium relief for drought-stricken farmers
- Health funds cover $2.6 billion per annum in dental benefits
- Money Hack: Get healthy and save on insurance
- My Health Record: Are you in or out?
- Health insurance tiers to make buying and comparing cover easier for Australians
- Last day to lock in EOFY health insurance deals