Police Health: Top 3 features
- Good for anyone who values their extras. Unused extras limits are useable in the following calendar year, something that isn't offered by other health funds.
- Good for receiving benefits at any recognised hospital in Australia - no need to worry about whether it's part of a network or not.
- Beware if you aren't eligible to join Police Health Insurance. It isn't available to everyone.
Police Health insurance provides benefits to more than 60,000 members of the police community across Australia. They're a not-for-profit members' own fund, meaning they keep the needs of the emergency services community at the front of their mind.
They are the only insurance group in Australia to offer roll-over benefits for extras, allowing any unused benefits to be accessed in the following calendar year.
Police Health is a restricted-access health fund for people with connections to the police force. If you're a current or retired Australian police officer, or the family member of one, you're eligible to subscribe to their policies.
Police Health only offers a single type of insurance in each category, each one a Gold tier in the new classification system:
- Gold Hospital. This is premium-level cover, covering all procedures you are likely to undergo in hospital, while allowing you to pick your hospital and provider. It has no excess, no co-payment, and 100% cover for emergency ambulance transport. There are also zero exclusions on treatments covered, within the bounds of the Private Health Insurance Act 2007.
- Rolling Extras. This plan provides 80% benefits on most extras services you're likely to use, including chiropractic, general and major dental, optical, physiotherapy, acupuncture, osteopathy, a range of therapies, pharmaceuticals and more. Unused benefits roll over to the following calendar year.
- Gold Combined. This combined hospital and extras cover brings together the benefits of both Gold Hospital and Rolling Extras at a reduced premium, including the roll over of unused benefits to the next calendar year. It also adds some benefits for laser eye surgery.
Extras claims are easy to make at providers with the right facilities, requiring you only to swipe your membership card to claim your benefit. Other claims can be made through the Police Health app, or by emailing or mailing a claim form with the appropriate supporting documents and evidence to Police Health.