Looking for health insurance that promotes flexibility, choice and a great online chat?
ahm Health Insurance is trusted by over 500,000 Australians nationwide to protect their healthcare needs. Backed by Medibank, it is one of the largest private health funds in the country.
Sign up deals with ahm for February 2019
What health insurance options are available?
- Top Hospital. Made for those who want complete peace of mind, this policy covers all hospital treatments that Medicare pays a benefit for, as well as specialised services including pregnancy, labour ward fees, reproductive services, sterility reversal and weight loss surgery.
- White Deluxe. A good choice if you are looking for a comprehensive policy without pregnancy. It covers all the services included in Top Hospital except for obstetrics, reproductive services and weight loss surgery, which are excluded. A partial benefit also applies to psychiatric services.
- White Classic. An intermediate policy that covers a wide range of hospital services including cancer treatment, heart procedures, brain surgery, joint reconstruction and more. Specialised treatments such as dialysis, spinal fusion, pregnancy and major eye surgery are excluded.
- White Boost. This policy allows you to claim for a number of hospital treatments including surgery to remove wisdom teeth, joint reconstruction, colonoscopies and tonsil removal. Pregnancy, psychology, palliative care and rehabilitation are partially covered.
- White Lite. Designed for the budget-conscious, this policy covers essential hospital services including injury relating to accidents, emergency ambulance transport, tonsil removal and more. Be aware that a large number of treatments are excluded from this policy.
- White Starter. If you are young, healthy and wanting to avoid the Medicare Levy Surcharge, this policy is a solid option. It provides full cover for accident treatment and emergency ambulance as well as partial cover for rehabilitation, palliative care and psychiatric services.
- Super Extras. A premium extras policy that covers you for 28 services including major dental, orthodontics, optical and pharmacy prescriptions. Super Extras also boasts the highest annual benefit limits and no limit is applied to routine dental.
- Black 70 Plus. Be it routine, complex or major dental, physio or natural therapies, chiropractic and podiatry treatments, plus a range of health improvement options, this policy will get you back up to 70% on everything you'll need for your head to your toes.
- Family Extras. This policy covers a range of out-of-hospital treatments including pre and postnatal services and birthing courses. While annual benefit limits are not as high as Super Extras, they are still generous and waiting periods are waived for common services your children may need, such as routine dental and optical.
- Lifestyle Extras. Focusing on the wellbeing of the body and the mind, this extras policy covers up to 17 alternative and complementary therapies including acupuncture, naturopathy and herbalism. Other services are not neglected either, as you are also covered for major dental, optical, laser eye surgery and more.
- Black 70. A generous policy that includes up to 70% back on your included extras, such as dental, remedial massage and physio therapies. What's more, it provides 100% back on optical frames, prescription and contact lenses, as well as no gap dental check-ups.
- Black 60. Covering you for a range of essential extras services without breaking the bank, this policy pays up to 60% towards the cost of treatments including major dental, physiotherapy and remedial massage. Optical and emergency ambulance transport costs are fully covered. Annual benefit limits are shared between certain services.
- Black 50 Saver. An inexpensive entry-level policy that covers 50% of the costs relating to routine dental, physiotherapy, chiropractic and osteopathic care. Emergency ambulance transport is also included and fully covered. Annual benefit limits are shared between certain services.
- Deluxe Flexi. Combining all the services included in White Deluxe plus a generous amount of extras, this policy ensures that you are fully covered both inside and outside of hospital. Be aware that psychiatric care has a partial benefit applied, while obstetrics, reproductive services and weight loss surgery are excluded.
- Classic Flexi. A solid option if you are looking for a comprehensive combined policy without the additional cost of insuring for specialised services. The hospital cover is identical to White Classic with the same exclusions and restrictions. All the extras services covered by Deluxe Flexi are also included with the exception of major dental.
- Boost Flexi. The middle ground option between the comprehensive and budget packages, Boost Flexi provides the same level of hospital cover as the White Boost policy while including a large number of extras services such as routine and complex dental, optical, physiotherapy, natural therapies, prescription medications and more.
- Lite Flexi. Affordable without compromising on protection, this policy includes all the hospital services covered by White Lite along with a range of extras. Rehabilitation, palliative care and psychiatric care are partially covered, while major dental, podiatry, orthotics and natural therapies are excluded.
- Starter Flexi. Suitable for those who only require the bare essentials, this policy covers you for vital hospital services and general treatments that are not eligible for a Medicare benefit (such as dental) and it allows the policyholder to avoid the Medicare Levy Surcharge and the Lifetime Health Cover loading.
Compare ahm's health insurance options
Finding the best* ahm policy for your treatment
If you have a specific treatment in mind, it can be tricky to compare your options. So we've done some research through PDS document, online chats and our comparison tool to find some great options for common treatments. All the prices shown are quotes for Single cover in NSW paying by direct debit and includes an Australian Government Rebate of 25.415% with a 0% Lifetime Health Cover loading.
- You might like if - You’re looking for a combined extras limit where all your extras are bundled into one total allowance.
- You might not like if - You use a wide range of extras, as your dental x-rays and fillings could eat into your physio limit.
Top pick for dental
Ahm have a deal with a number of dentists to offer you 100% back on dental check-ups.
No gap dental treatments:
- Clean and polish or scale and clean
- Fluoride treatment
Not included in no gap dental, but covered under routine dental
- Tooth Extractions
If you’re looking for dental only, it’s worth looking at the Super Extras option. It’s more expensive but is one of very few policies to offer no waiting periods, and no annual limits on general dental. General dental includes check-ups, minor extractions, x-rays, fillings, and teeth cleaning.
|Fund||Limit||Wait period||Cost per month||Apply|
|$1,100||12 months||$80.14||Go to site|
Top pick for optical
With ahm, the standard optical limit is $200 per year, and it’s included in a few extras policies - because the limits reset every year and your eye test is covered by Medicare, a new pair of specs every 12 months is a great way to get value from your cover.
Extras that include optical also have limits for dental and physio.
|Policy||Treatment||Waiting Period||Annual Limit||Cost per month||Apply|
|Black 60||Optical||6 months||$200||$32.40||Go to Site|
Top pick for saving on tax
If you’re earning over $90k, and don’t have hospital cover - you will get slugged with a big charge come tax time. You can avoid this by taking out a basic policy that covers you for ambulances should you ever find yourself in an accident. It will actually save you on your taxes and the yearly cost of the policy is less than the tax charge.
|Policy||Services||Excess||Cost per month||Apply|
|$500||$68.51||Go to Site|
Top pick for pregnancy
If you're thinking about starting a family, and looking for pregnancy cover - you'll have to take out a top hospital policy.
|Policy||Treatment||Waiting Period||Cost per month||Apply|
|Top||Pregnancy||12 months||$155.45||Go to Site|
Find participating ahm no gap dental providers
|Pacific Smiles Dental Belconnen||Shop 75/75a Westfield 18 Benjamin Way Belconnen 2617||02 6251 5100|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Gungahlin||Marketplace Gungahlin 30-33 Hibberson Street Gungahlin 2912||02 6250 5400|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Manuka||Cnr Flinders Way & Franklin St Manuka 2603||02 6260 6400|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Tuggeranong||Cnr Reed & Anketell St Tuggeranong 2901||02 6293 2700|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Woden||28 Brewer St Woden 2606||02 6282 8100|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Balgowlah||Shop 21 197-215 Condamine St Balgowlah 2093|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Bateau Bay||12 Bay Village Rd Bateau bay 2261|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Belmont||12 Thomas St Belmont 2280|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Belrose||56-58 Glen St Belrose 2085|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Blacktown||116 Main St Blacktown 2148|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Brookvale||Westfield Warringah Mall Cnr Condamine & Old Pittwater Rd Brookvale 2100|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Campbelltown||Macarthur Square 200 Gilchrist Dr Campbelltown 2560|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Charlestown||Cnr Smart & Pearson St Charlestown 2290|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Erina||Erina Fair 620-658 Terrigal Dr Erina 2250|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Forster||22 South St Forster 2428|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Gladesville||225 Victoria Rd Gladesville 2111|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Greenhills||8 Molly Morgan Dr Greenhills 2323|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Jesmond||28 Bluegum Rd Jesmond 2299|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Kotara||6/88 Park Ave Kotara 2289|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Lake Haven||Lake Haven Dr Lake haven 2263|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Marrickville||34 Victoria St Marrickville 2204|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Morisset||49 Yambo St Morisset 2264|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Narellan||326 Camden Valley Way Narellan 2567|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Nowra||64 Junction St Nowra 2541|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Parramatta||80 George St Parramatta 2150|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Penrith||59-61 Station St Penrith 2750|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Queanbeyan||131 Monaro St Queanbeyan 2620|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Rutherford||Rutherford Shopping Centre 3 West Mall Rutherford 2320|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Salamander Bay||1/167 Salamander Way Salamander bay 2317|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Shellharbour||Shop 1096 Stockland Shellharbour 211 Lake Entrance Road Shellharbour 2529|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Singleton||1 Gowrie St Singleton 2330|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Sydney CBD||Level 1 The Galeries Shopping Centre 500 George St Sydney 2000|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Toronto||43 The Blvd Toronto 2283|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Tuggerah||50 Wyong Rd Tuggerah 2259|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Wagga Wagga||37 Trail St Wagga wagga 2650|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Warilla||102 Shellharbour Rd Warilla 2528|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Bribie Island||Bribie Island Shopping Centre 1/ 241 Goodwin Dr Bribie island 4507|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Burleigh Heads||149 West Burleigh Rd Burleigh heads 4220|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Capalaba||Capalaba Central Shopping Centre 38-62 Moreton Bay Rd Capalaba 4157|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Deception Bay||Market Square Deception Bay Ave Deception Bay 4508|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Helensvale||Westfield Helensvale 1 - 29 Millaroo Dr Helensvale 4212|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Morayfield||Morayfield Shopping Centre 171 Morayfield Rd Morayfield 4506|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Mount Ommaney||171 Dandenong Rd Mount Ommaney 4074|
|Pacific Smiles Dental North Lakes||Westfield North Lakes North Lakes Dr North lakes 4509|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Mount Gravatt||Cnr Logan & Kessels Rd Upper mount gravatt 4122|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Redbank Plains||Town Square Redbank Plains Redbank Plains Rd Redbank plains 4301|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Runaway Bay||GF024 Runaway Bay Centre 10-12 Lae Drive Runaway bay 4216|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Strathpine||Strathpine Centre Gympie Rd Strathpine 4500|
|National Dental Care Findon||Findon Shopping Centre 303 Grange Rd Findon 5023|
|National Dental Care Kadina||70 Graves St Kadina 5554|
|National Dental Care Mawson Lakes||The Promenade Shopping Centre Shop 10 121-131 Mawson Lakes Blvd Mawson lakes 5095|
|National Dental Care Nailsworth||83 Main North Rd Nailsworth 5083|
|National Dental Care North Adelaide||104 Ward St North adelaide 5006|
|National Dental Care Salisbury||12 John St Salisbury 5108|
|National Dental Care South Terrace||303 South Tce Adelaide 5000|
|National Dental Care West Lakes||151 Brebner Dr West lakes 5021|
|Crotty Dental||174 Macquarie St Hobart 7000||03 6224 7666|
|City Dental||119 Collins St Hobart 7000||03 6234 1303|
|City Dental||15 Regina St Glenorchy 7010||03 6272 8253|
|City Dental||130 New Town Rd New Town 7008||03 6228 1185|
|Dr Daniel Tan & Associates||3 High St Launceston 7250||03 6331 2804|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Bairnsdale||287 Main Street Bairnsdale 3875|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Bendigo||84 Mollison St Bendigo 3550|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Cranbourne||Cranbourne Park Shopping Centre 85 High St Cranbourne 3977|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Drysdale||41 High St Drysdale 3222|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Glen Waverley||The Glen Shopping Centre 235 Springvale Road Glen waverley 3150|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Greensborough||Greensborough Plaza Shop 108A 25 Main Street Greensborough 3088|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Leopold||Gateway Plaza 641 Bellarine HighwayLeopold 3224|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Melbourne||Level 1, 360 Bourke St Melbourne 3000|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Melton||Woodgrove Shopping Centre 533-555 High St Melton west 3337|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Mill Park||Westfield Plenty Valley 415 McDonalds Rd Mill park 3082|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Mulgrave||Waverley Gardens 271 Police Rd Mulgrave 3170|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Point Cook||Stockland Point Cook Shopping Centre Corner Main Street and Murnong St Point cook 3030|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Ringwood||171-175 Maroondah Hwy Ringwood 3134|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Sale||56 Cunningham St Sale 3850|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Torquay||110 Geelong Rd Torquay 3228|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Taralgon||20 Hotham St Traralgon 3844|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Warragul||130 Albert Rd Warragul 3820|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Waurn Ponds||160 Colac Rd Waurn ponds 3216|
|Pacific Smiles Dental Werribee||Pacific Werribee Cnr Derrimut Road & Heaths Rd Werribee 3030|
|DB Dental Applecross (Cnr Sleat Rd)||884 Canning Hwy Applecross 6153||1300 4 83384|
|DB Dental Applecross (Riseley St)||764 Canning Hwy Applecross 6153||1300 4 83384|
|DB Dental Baldivis||Shop 21 Stockland Baldivis Shopping Centre 26 Safety Bay Rd Baldivis 6171||1300 4 83384|
|DB Dental Brighton||5/2359 Marmion Ave Jindalee 6036||1300 4 83384|
|DB Dental Claremont||Unit 1/240 Stirling Hwy Claremont 6010||1300 4 83384|
|DB Dental Cottesloe||Level 1 525 Stirling Hwy Cottesloe 6011||1300 4 83384|
|DB Dental Craigie||92 Eddystone Ave Craigie 6025||1300 4 83384|
|DB Dental Currambine||Unit 2/1 Hobsons Gate Currambine 6028||1300 4 83384|
|DB Dental Ellenbrook||Unit 3 1549 Gnangara Rd Aveley 6069||1300 4 83384|
|DB Dental Innaloo||Shop 3 Innaloo Shoppers Village 388 Scarborough Beach Rd Innaloo 6018||1300 4 83384|
|DB Dental Joondalup||420 Joondalup Dr Joondalup 6027||1300 4 83384|
|DB Dental Mandurah||420 Joondalup Dr Joondalup 6027||1300 4 83384|
|DB Dental Mandurah||Shop 3/319 Pinjarra Rd Mandurah 6210||1300 4 83384|
|DB Dental Melville||Point Walter Medical Centre 322 Canning Hwy Bicton 6157||1300 4 83384|
|DB Dental North Fremantle||2 Pensioner Guard Rd North Fremantle 6159||1300 4 83384|
|DB Dental Perth City Kings Square||570 Wellington St Perth 6000||1300 4 83384|
|DB Dental Rockingham||Woodbridge Shopping Centre 2-4 Elanora Dr Rockingham 6168||1300 4 83384|
|DB Dental South Lake||Unit 1-5 Berrigan Dr South lake 6164||1300 4 83384|
|DB Dental Spearwood||6 Barrington St Spearwood 6163||1300 4 83384|
|National Dental Care Darwin||26 Mitchell St Darwin 0800|
|National Dental Care Palmerston||3 Gurd St Palmerston 0830|
Are there any bonus benefits?
ahm offers some additional features:
- Choose your own provider.ahm Health Insurance does not penalise you if you visit a non-preferred provider for any extras services.
- Excess and co-payment options. You can access a range of excess and co-payment (daily charge) to help reduce the cost of your premiums.
- Flexible extras limits. If you choose the Deluxe Flexi, Classic Flexi, Lite Flexi or Starter Flexi combined policies, the annual benefit limit is applied as a lump sum for you to spend however you wish, without shared limits.
- Loyalty rewards. Annual benefit limits on some extras services increase every year that you maintain your cover. Combined policies cap at five years and standalone extras policies cap at 20 years.
You can get a refund if you change your mind about joining ahm within 30 days. If you haven't made a claim, you'll get your premium back.
Are there member offers?
As a member you're also intitled to some member rewards:
- 2 for 1 HOYTS tickets.ahm Members can get 2 for 1 movie tickets every Thursday night after 5pm at HOYTS.
- 20% off Michelle Bridges 12WBT. With 15 programs to choose from, including Beginner and Learn to run, ahm members save 20% on 12WBT programs.
- 25% off Fitbit trackers. By using your ahm code, members can save 25% on a wide selection Fitbit trackers including a range of Aria scales.
- 15% off Active Life. Members can get 15% off new Active Plus memberships across all 76 Goodlife Health Clubs.
- 25% off Specsavers. When you buy a single pair of glasses at Specsavers, members can save 25% from the $149 and above range.
- Pet insurance. Members can get two months free pet insurance.
- 15% off Car insurance. There are 4 options available from Real insurance.
- 25% off Home and contents insurance. There are 3 options available from Real insurance.
Paying your ahm health insurance premiums
ahm health insurance premiums can be paid:
Premiums can be paid in the following ways
- Direct Debit: from your nominated bank account or credit card
- Online: Log in to your account at ahm.com.au
- Mail: Write a cheque to "ahm health insurance" print your name and member number on the back, and you can send it to ahm health insurance, Locked Bag 4, Wetherill Park NSW 2164.
- BPAY: From your bank account
- Phone: Using your credit card
Is there anything I cannot claim for?
Australian health funds typically exclude some procedures and items from cover, which is why you should always check your policy's rules and exclusions carefully. ahm's general exclusions can be found below:
- Charges above the minimum benefit for surgically implanted prostheses
- The full cost of accommodation or theatre fees if treated at a non-agreement hospital
- Treatment that is currently subject to a waiting period
- Personal items in hospital such as phone calls, TV, faxes, internet and newspapers
- Take-home bandages and dressings
- Costs for services not covered by Medicare
- Any medical, hospital or ambulance services received overseas
- Cosmetic surgery
- The full cost of restricted or excluded services
- Podiatric surgery
How do I make a claim?
Once you’ve received treatment or purchased an item covered by your policy, you’ll need to make a claim. You can lodge a health insurance claim with ahm in the following ways:
- On the spot. You can swipe your ahm membership card at almost 20,000 health care providers that support the HICAPS electronic claims system. This allows you to have your claim processed immediately.
- Via a mobile app. You can lodge a claim using the ahm mobile app by taking a photo of your receipt using your smartphone and then submitting it to ahm.
- Online. You can log into your online account through the ahm website and lodge your account by providing the details included on your receipt - just follow the two steps below.
By post. You can fill out a claim form and submit it along with your receipt from the provider to:
- AHM Health Insurance
- Locked Bag 1006
- Matraville, NSW, 2036
Benefits can be paid by bank transfer or cheque.
Coming to Australia on a student visa?
ahm Health Insurance offers Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for international students who are planning to study in Australia. The policy is fully compliant with student visa conditions and includes the following benefits:
- Broad protection. Cover for hospital treatment, visits to the doctor, emergency ambulance transport and medications.
- Fast payment on claims. Benefits are paid to you within two working days and claims can be lodged online or by phone.
- Interpreter. A free interpreter service is available to use.
- 24-hour helpline. Can be called for emergency medical assistance and advice.
- Stress and trauma counselling. All members have free access to counselling if they require it.
Want to know more about ahm?
Below are some useful info to help you decide whether ahm is the health fund for you:
How many members does ahm service?
ahm provides health insurance cover to more than 500,000 people. Its parent fund, Medibank, boasts a 27.6% market share, making Medibank the largest health fund in Australia.
Some final details you might want know about
- HCF and HealthShare team up to help consumers make more informed decisions
- Number of Australians with private health insurance hits an 11 year low
- Final day to opt out of My Health Record
- Medibank is offering members a new way to save on health insurance
- Is Afterpay for dental the cheapest option?
- Deadline for opting out of My Health Record looms