HBF is one of the five largest health insurance companies in Australia and has been operating for more than 70 years.
You can't go wrong with a not-for-profit insurance company that also has a large memberships and a deep heritage. HBF's policies are easy to understand too. The insurer offers a nice mix of hospital and extras policies that you can mix and match or purchase on their own.
Top 3 features
- Good for people who want a nice range of hospital cover to choose from without having too many confusing choices to sift through.
- Good for people who want to bundle their cover with other insurance products in order to save.
- Beware if you're after just basic extras, as their lower level extras policies don't cover a whole lot.
Who is HBF Health Insurance?
Owned by its members and based in Western Australia, HBF provides health cover solutions to customers Australia-wide. As a not-for-profit fund, HBF can offer benefits to its members in the form of better policies and lower premiums. With more than 900,000 members, this Western Australian health fund offers everything from budget cover through to comprehensive health protection.
What health insurance options are available?
HBF offers something for everyone, with five levels of cover to choose from:
- Basic Hospital Plus. This meets the government's requirement for Basic cover by offering restricted cover for psychiatry, rehabilitation and palliative care. However, it goes well beyond that by providing full cover for all additional 5 clinical categories including joint reconstructions, dental surgery and gynaecology.
- Bronze Hospital Plus. Provides full cover all 18 clinical categories required for a Bronze label, plus full cover for additional categories like sleep studies, medically necessary plastic surgery and back/neck/spine treatments.
- Silver Hospital. This policy includes the cover for the 26 clinical categories required to be labeled a silver policy plus a few more like insulin pumps and full instead of restricted cover for palliative care.
- Silver Hospital Plus. This covers everything the Silver policy does plus a few more like cataracts, joint replacements and full instead of restricted cover for rehabilitation.
- Gold Hospital. This is the highest level of hospital insurance and includes all 38 clinical categories required for a Gold label.
There are also five extras policies, with two of them offering customisable cover:
- Basic Extras. This is a very basic policy covering general dental, optical, a few therapies like physio and healthy living programs.
- Saver Flexi Extras. This covers general dental, emergency ambulance and your choice of two of the following treatments: major dental, optical, physio, chiro, osteo, healthy living programs, pharmacy, podiatry and remedial massage.
- Standard Extras. Covers 19 common treatments like general dental, major dental, optical, physio, hearing aids, speech therapy and more.
- Flexi Extras. Covers your choice of 10 treatments between: general dental, major dental, optical, physio, chiro, pharmacy, health appliances, eye therapy and more.
- Top Extras. Covers HBF's full range of treatments including all those listed above plus nutrition consultations, exercise physiology, alternative therapies, psychology and more.
Here are some other perks you'll get as an HBF member:
- Pay your premiums by direct debit and enjoy a saving of 4%
- Visit a Member Plus dentist in WA and enjoy access to around $100 worth of dental benefits each year
- Members can visit one of several Member Plus optical stores in WA and enjoy substantial discounts on frames
- Kids covered for free. Your children can receive cover on a HBF family policy for no extra charge
- Free personal health app. HBF members can use the Pocket Health app to help them achieve their personal health and fitness goals
How to make a claim
HBF members can lodge claims in three easy ways:
- On the spot. When you visit a provider that offers HICAPS electronic claiming, all you need to do is swipe your HBF membership card to receive any benefit you're eligible for.
- Online. By logging into myHBF online and clicking 'Submit a health claim', members can enter their claim details and upload any receipts or invoices.
- By mail. HBF members can download and complete a claim form, attach any accounts and receipts and then post everything to HBF.
Overseas visitors or students
HBF offers a range of health cover options for people who are in Australia on a working visa or who are visiting here on holidays. These include:
- Working Visa Hospital Cover & Saver Flexi Extras. Meets Visa condition 8501 while offering cover for a range of essential hospital treatments like chemo and heart treatment plus four common extras treatments like general dental and emergency ambulance.
- Working Visa Hospital and Medical Cover & Standard Extras. Meets Visa condition 8501 while offering cover for a range of essential hospital treatments like heart treatment and maternity, medical services like GP visits and 19 common extras treatments like general dental, major dental and optical.
- Standard Overseas Visitors Cover & Basic Extras. Covers a range of essential hospital treatments, medical services like GP visits and 6 common extras treatments like general dental and optical.
- Standard Overseas Visitors Cover & Standard Extras. Covers a range of essential hospital treatments, medical services like GP visits and 19 common extras treatments like general dental, major dental and optical.