HBF Health Insurance Review
HBF is one of the five largest health insurance companies in Australia and has been operating for more than 75 years.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
2019 Finder Awards
Winner: Best Health Insurance - Bronze
HBF Health Limited Bronze Hospital Plus $500 excess
HBF's Bronze Hospital Plus cover offers a good starting point for those looking for an entry-level policy. It's one of the lowest-priced Bronze Plus options and includes treatments such as joint reconstructions for young, active people.
You can't go wrong with a not-for-profit insurance company that also has a large membership and a deep heritage. HBF's policies are easy to understand too. The insurer offers a nice mix of hospital and extras policies that you can mix and match or purchase on their own.
Top three features
- Good for people who want a nice range of hospital cover to choose from without having too many confusing choices to sift through.
- Good for people who want to bundle their cover with other insurance products in order to save.
- Beware if you're after just basic extras, as their lower level extras policies don't cover a whole lot.
What is HBF Health Insurance?
Owned by its members and based in Western Australia, HBF provides health cover solutions to customers Australia-wide. As a not-for-profit fund, HBF can offer benefits to its members in the form of better policies and lower premiums. With more than 900,000 members, this Western Australian health fund offers everything from budget cover to comprehensive health protection.
What health insurance options are available?
Compare HBF hospital policies
- Basic Hospital Plus. This meets the government's requirement for Basic cover by offering restricted cover for psychiatry, rehabilitation and palliative care. However, it goes well beyond that by providing full cover for all additional five clinical categories, including joint reconstructions, dental surgery and gynaecology.
- Bronze Hospital Plus. This policy provides full cover for all 18 clinical categories required for a Bronze label plus full cover for additional categories such as sleep studies, medically necessary plastic surgery and back/neck/spine treatments.
- Silver Hospital. This policy includes the cover for the 26 clinical categories required to be labelled a Silver policy plus a few more such as insulin pumps and full instead of restricted cover for palliative care.
- Silver Hospital Plus. This covers everything the Silver policy does plus a few more such as cataracts, joint replacements and full instead of restricted cover for rehabilitation.
- Gold Hospital. This is the highest level of hospital insurance and includes all 38 clinical categories required for a Gold label.
|Benefits||Basic Hospital Plus||Bronze Hospital Plus||Silver Hospital||Silver Hospital Plus||Gold Hospital|
|Hospital psychiatric services|
|Tonsils, adenoids and grommets|
|Hernia and appendix|
|Brain and nervous system|
|Eye (not cataracts)|
|Ear, nose and throat|
|Bone, joint and muscle|
|Kidney and bladder|
|Male reproductive system|
|Miscarriage and termination of pregnancy|
|Chemotherapy, radiotherapy and immunotherapy for cancer|
|Breast surgery (medically necessary)|
|Diabetes management (excluding insulin pumps)|
|Lung and chest|
|Back, neck and spine|
|Plastic and reconstructive surgery (medically necessary)|
|Pain management with device|
|Heart and vascular system|
|Implantation of hearing devices|
|Dialysis for chronic kidney failure|
|Pregnancy and birth|
|Assisted reproductive services|
|Weight loss surgery|
|Private room coverage|
Compare HBF extras options
- Basic Extras. This is a very basic policy covering general dental, optical, a few therapies like physio, and healthy living programs.
- Flex 50 Extras. This covers general dental, emergency ambulance and a combined limit for the following treatments: major dental, optical, physio, chiro, osteo, healthy living programs, pharmacy, podiatry and remedial massage.
- Flex 60 Extras. This covers 13 common treatments such as general dental, major dental, optical, physio, hearing aids, speech therapy and more.
- Complete 60 Extras. This covers all of HBF's extras services including general dental, major dental, optical, physio, chiro, pharmaceuticals, eye therapy and more, and gives you 60% back on all treatments. It also comes with no annual limit.
- Top 70 Extras. This also covers HBF's full range of treatments and has no annual limit but gives you more back.
How to make a claim
HBF members can lodge claims in three easy ways:
- On the app. You can download the HBF Health app for free. To make a claim on the app, simply take a photo of your treatment account and receipt and upload it. Your benefit will go directly into your nominated bank account.
- On the spot. When you visit a provider that offers HICAPS electronic claiming, all you need to do is swipe your HBF membership card to receive any benefit you're eligible for.
- Online. By logging into myHBF online and clicking "Submit a health claim", members can enter their claim details and upload any receipts or invoices. If you claim electronically, your benefits will automatically be deducted from the provider fee, so you'll only have to pay the difference between the provider's fee and the amount HBF covers.
- By mail. HBF members can download and complete a claim form, attach any accounts and receipts and then post everything to HBF.
Overseas visitors or students
HBF offers a range of health cover options for people who are in Australia on a working visa or who are visiting here on holidays. These include the following:
- Working Visa Hospital Cover & Flex 50 Extras. This option meets Visa condition 8501 while offering cover for a range of essential hospital treatments such as chemo and heart treatment plus four common extras treatments such as general dental and emergency ambulance.
- Working Visa Hospital and Medical Cover & Complete 60 Extras.This option meets Visa condition 8501 while offering cover for a range of essential hospital treatments such as heart treatment and maternity, medical services like GP visits and 13 common extras treatments such as general dental, major dental and optical.
- Standard Overseas Visitors Cover & Basic Extras. This option covers a range of essential hospital treatments and medical services such as GP visits and six common extras treatments such as general dental and optical.
- Standard Overseas Visitors Cover & Flex 50 Extras. This option covers a range of essential hospital treatments and medical services such as GP visits and 13 common extras treatments like general dental, major dental and optical.
More guides on Finder
You might like these...
Ask an Expert