2019 Finder Awards
Winner: Best Health Insurance - Bronze
HBF Health Limited Bronze Hospital Plus $500 excess
HBF's Bronze Hospital Plus cover offers a good starting point for those looking for an entry-level policy. It's one of the lowest-priced Bronze Plus options and includes treatments such as joint reconstructions for young, active people.
You can't go wrong with a not-for-profit insurance company that also has a large membership and a deep heritage. HBF's policies are easy to understand too. The insurer offers a nice mix of hospital and extras policies that you can mix and match or purchase on their own.
Top three features
- Good for people who want a nice range of hospital cover to choose from without having too many confusing choices to sift through.
- Good for people who want to bundle their cover with other insurance products in order to save.
- Beware if you're after just basic extras, as their lower level extras policies don't cover a whole lot.
Owned by its members and based in Western Australia, HBF provides health cover solutions to customers Australia-wide. As a not-for-profit fund, HBF can offer benefits to its members in the form of better policies and lower premiums. With more than 900,000 members, this Western Australian health fund offers everything from budget cover to comprehensive health protection.
Compare HBF hospital policies
- Basic Hospital Plus. This meets the government's requirement for Basic cover by offering restricted cover for psychiatry, rehabilitation and palliative care. However, it goes well beyond that by providing full cover for all additional five clinical categories, including joint reconstructions, dental surgery and gynaecology.
- Bronze Hospital Plus. This policy provides full cover for all 18 clinical categories required for a Bronze label plus full cover for additional categories such as sleep studies, medically necessary plastic surgery and back/neck/spine treatments.
- Silver Hospital. This policy includes the cover for the 26 clinical categories required to be labelled a Silver policy plus a few more such as insulin pumps and full instead of restricted cover for palliative care.
- Silver Hospital Plus. This covers everything the Silver policy does plus a few more such as cataracts, joint replacements and full instead of restricted cover for rehabilitation.
- Gold Hospital. This is the highest level of hospital insurance and includes all 38 clinical categories required for a Gold label.
Compare HBF extras options
- Basic Extras. This is a very basic policy covering general dental, optical, a few therapies like physio, and healthy living programs.
- Saver Flexi Extras. This covers general dental, emergency ambulance and your choice of two of the following treatments: major dental, optical, physio, chiro, osteo, healthy living programs, pharmacy, podiatry and remedial massage.
- Standard Extras. This covers 19 common treatments such as general dental, major dental, optical, physio, hearing aids, speech therapy and more.
- Flexi Extras. This covers your choice of 10 treatments from a list that includes general dental, major dental, optical, physio, chiro, pharmacy, health appliances, eye therapy and more.
- Top Extras. This covers HBF's full range of treatments including all those listed above plus nutrition consultations, exercise physiology, alternative therapies, psychology and more.
HBF members can lodge claims in three easy ways:
- On the spot. When you visit a provider that offers HICAPS electronic claiming, all you need to do is swipe your HBF membership card to receive any benefit you're eligible for.
- Online. By logging into myHBF online and clicking "Submit a health claim", members can enter their claim details and upload any receipts or invoices.
- By mail. HBF members can download and complete a claim form, attach any accounts and receipts and then post everything to HBF.
HBF offers a range of health cover options for people who are in Australia on a working visa or who are visiting here on holidays. These include the following:
- Working Visa Hospital Cover & Saver Flexi Extras. This option meets Visa condition 8501 while offering cover for a range of essential hospital treatments such as chemo and heart treatment plus four common extras treatments such as general dental and emergency ambulance.
- Working Visa Hospital and Medical Cover & Standard Extras. This option meets Visa condition 8501 while offering cover for a range of essential hospital treatments such as heart treatment and maternity, medical services like GP visits and 19 common extras treatments such as general dental, major dental and optical.
- Standard Overseas Visitors Cover & Basic Extras. This option covers a range of essential hospital treatments and medical services such as GP visits and six common extras treatments such as general dental and optical.
- Standard Overseas Visitors Cover & Standard Extras. This option covers a range of essential hospital treatments and medical services such as GP visits and 19 common extras treatments like general dental, major dental and optical.