Discover if the policies and membership benefits offered by Australia's largest health fund are right for you.
Established in 1975, Medibank today provides health insurance solutions to more than 3.8 million people across Australia and New Zealand. If you’re looking for private health insurance, Medibank offers a wide range of hospital and extras cover options for singles, couples, families and single parents.
- The diverse range of policies and excess options allow you to customise cover to suit your needs.
- It offers ambulance only and accident only cover, which is uncommon among Australian funds.
- No-gap dental and optical program gets you access to certain free treatments and items at approved providers.
- Earn triple flybuys points on fruit (fresh only) and vegetable (fresh or frozen) purchases when you shop at Coles.
- Link up an eligible fitness tracker to your Medibank account and earn 10 points every 10,000 steps.
- 10% discount on Medibank's range of travel, life, income protection, funeral and pet insurance.
- Discounts of up to 25% on a huge range of other products and services, including Fitbits, Palace Cinema tickets, Sunglass Hut, Philips Avent infant-feeding products, Motherworld and more.
Limited time promotions for June 2017 only
- Bonus flybuys points. Get 80,000 points and a $300 Rebel gift card as a family or couple ($150 card for single parent policies), or 40,000 points plus an $150 Rebel gift card as a single on combined cover.
- EFTPOS gift card offer. Get an EFTPOS gift card worth up to $600 as a family or couple, or up to $300 as a single or single parent on combined cover. The value of the card depends on your policies annual base premium.
Not every Australian's health insurance needs are the same, which is why Medibank's policies are designed to suit different ages, budgets, and family situations. Select the policy type you are interested in below to learn more:
All these policies can combine with Medibank's extras policies to create combined cover. The one exception is the Growing Family Extras Only policy, which can only be combined the Top Hospital, Standard Hospital or Core Hospital policies.
- Complete Hospital. This policy covers everything from emergency ambulance transport and pregnancy to nerve treatment and heart surgery. Private room accommodation is of course included, and you can opt out of having an excess if you wish.
- Top Hospital Essentials. Provides comprehensive cover but excludes pregnancy, fertility treatment and weight loss surgery, while psychiatric care is partially covered. You cannot opt out of an excess but can choose between a $250 or $500 one.
- Standard Hospital. An intermediate policy that covers a broad range of services at a reasonable price. Uncommon treatments such as renal dialysis and fertility procedures are excluded, while pregnancy and psychiatric care are restricted.
- Core Hospital. A policy for the budget conscious, this excludes complex and condition-specific treatments while retaining cover for common ones such as emergency ambulance transport, tonsil removal and shoulder and knee investigations.
- Hospital Essentials. Simple cover for vital services including emergency ambulance transport, accident treatment, tonsil removal and joint investigations. In addition, no excess is applied which means no lump sum fees in order to claim.
- Top Extras. This could be a good option if you are seeking the highest benefits for services such as major dental (including orthodontics), optical and physical therapies with no combined limits. You can choose from 85%, 75% or 55% back on claims.
- Growing Family Extras Only. A policy that provides generous benefits for extras services families use regularly, such as dental and optical. The major dental benefit also increases over time, and you can select from 70% or 60% back on claims.
- Basic Extras. Get 70% back on the cost of common out of hospital services including general dental, optical, physical and natural therapies and emergency ambulance transport.
- Healthy Start Extras. Affordable cover that pays 60% of the cost of general and major dental, physical therapies, optical and more. You are given an overall limit of $500 and can choose to spend that on any eligible service you want.
- Ambulance Cover. Covers you Australia wide for emergency ambulance transport, paramedic assistance, hospital-to-hospital transfers and pre-approved air ambulance transport.
- Accident Cover. As the name suggests, this covers you for hospital treatment due to accidental injury. Emergency ambulance transport cover is also included, as well as partial cover for rehabilitation, palliative care and psychiatric care.
- Hospital claims. Your claim is automatically forwarded to Medibank along with the relevant receipts and bills.
- Extras claims. These can be lodged on-the-spot using your membership card, online via the member portal, by using the Medibank Mobile app, by traditional mail or by visiting Medibank store.
Get the Medibank Mobile app
- Health funds cover $2.6 billion per annum in dental benefits
- Money Hack: Get healthy and save on insurance
- My Health Record: Are you in or out?
- Health insurance tiers to make buying and comparing cover easier for Australians
- Last day to lock in EOFY health insurance deals
- ACCC questions lack of transparency in private health