We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
nib is the fourth-largest health insurer by market share in Australia, has been around since 1952 and currently offers 5 hospital and 4 extras policies.
- nib's accidental injury benefit gives you access to Gold Hospital cover for 90 days after the accident — not many others offer this.
- nib is one of the few providers to cover emergency ambulance transportation fees across all its health covers, excluding Queensland and Tasmania, where it's already free.
- nib's most basic extras policy isn't the cheapest, mainly because it covers more than other basic policies, like major dental.
Review by our insurance writer Gary Hunter
Compare health insurance options from nib and 30+ other funds
Who is nib?
nib is a private Australia-based insurer providing health insurance to more than 1 million Australians. As of 2018, it was the 4th largest health insurer in Australia by market share.
nib's network of 200 member hospitals (including day hospitals) is among the largest in Australia. By visiting one of these hospitals, members can save money on out-of-pocket expenses usually associated with private care.
You can save even more with nibs MediGap specialists program. If you're treated by one of nib's networked specialists who have agreed to bill nib directly, meaning you won't pay a thing for their in-hospital services.
Nib also offers an accidental injury benefit that temporarily increases your cover to nib's highest level of cover for the next 90 days following an accident, giving you full cover if you're readmitted during that time.
nib hospital and extras cover
nib offers two types of coverage - hospital and extras. This is fairly standard across the Australian health insurance industry. nib also offers ambulance cover with most of its policies.
All nib policies fit within the Australian government's tier structure with one at each tier and two at bronze. All of nib's policies except Gold are "plus" policies, meaning they offer more than the minimum requirements set out by the government for each tier. Gold is as high as you can get, so there's no need for a "plus" version of that. All policies offer the minimum restricted cover for rehabilitation, psychology and palliative care as mandated by the Australian government's 2019 health insurance reforms.
To learn more, click the drop down links below.
Young people discount
nib offers an age based discount to customers between the ages of 18-29. The amount of discount you receive depends on what age you were on the Discount Assessment Date, which is 1 April 2019 or the date you first took out a policy with nib after 1 April 2019.
You'll keep your discount until age 40 at which point it decreases by 2% per year.
Here's what your discount will be based on the age you were on your Discount Assessment date:
- 18-25: 10% discount
- 26: 8% discount
- 27: 6% discount
- 28: 4% discount
- 29: 2% discount
How to make a claim
There are several options to choose from when you need to make an extras claim with nib:
- Swipe your nib card. All you have to do is swipe your nib card when you visit your service provider to claim on the spot.
- Claim online. You can use nib Online Claiming 24/7 and claim for extras services by uploading a photo of your receipt. Benefits will be paid into your account within five working days.
- Claim via the nib app. There are iPhone, iPad and Android apps available so you can claim on the go.
- Visit an nib retail centre. You can visit your nearest nib retail centre to lodge a claim in person.
- Claim by mail. Download and complete an nib claim form, then mail it and your original receipts to nib health funds, Locked Bag 2010, Newcastle NSW 2300.
Overseas visitors or Students
nib offers separate health insurance options for overseas students and working visitors.
All three of these offer the following:
- They meet the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) visa requirements.
- They have no excess.
- They cover emergency ambulance rides.
- They cover 100% of the Medicare benefits schedule fee for every covered treatment.
More guides on Finder
You might like these...
Ask an Expert