Qantas Health Insurance
Qantas health insurance starts at less than $110 a month - plus you can earn thousands of Qantas points.
Updated . What changed?
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Qantas has recently entered the health insurance market and is currently offering a range of health insurance policies that gives you value for money even if you do not get sick. By signing up with Qantas Health Insurance, you may be eligible for the following on select covers:
- Up to 65,000 bonus Qantas Points when you sign up for Gold Hospital and Top Extras Cover for Singles.
- Up to 130,000 bonus Qantas Points when you sign up for Gold Hospital and Top Extras Cover for Couples, Single Parents or Families.
- Up to 20,000 more Qantas Points for every year that you stay active with the Insurance App.
- 1 bonus Qantas Point per dollar spent on premiums.
Promotions currently on offer from Qantas Health Insurance
Compare Qantas health insurance options
Qantas Health Insurance is issued by NIB and made available by Qantas. The following are some of the unique benefits that make this health insurer stand out:
- Receive discounted prices if you are an existing Qantas Frequent Flyer or become a complimentary member if you sign up.
- Get free Qantas Points throughout the life of your policy and extra rewards for joining.
- Choose from single, couple, family or single-parent plans to get a policy more tailored to your needs and budget.
Qantas Health Insurance offers hospital cover, which allows you to access private hospitals, and extras cover that pays benefits towards medical treatment outside of the hospital, such as dentist check-ups, optical services and physiotherapy. Simply select the type of health insurance you are interested in below to view what is covered by each policy tier.
Qantas Health Insurance hospital policies
You can find the waiting periods for hospital cover below this table.
|Accidental injury benefit|
|Emergency Ambulance Cover|
|Tonsils, adenoids and grommets|
|Hernia and Appendix|
|Miscarriage and termination of pregnancy|
|Hospital psychiatric services|
|Bone, joint and muscle|
|Brain and nervous system|
|Breast surgery (medically necessary)|
|Chemotherapy, radiotherapy and immunotherapy for cancer|
|Diabetes management (excluding insulin pumps)|
|Ear, nose and throat|
|Eye (not cataracts)|
|Kidney and bladder|
|Male reproductive system|
|Lung and chest|
|Plastic and reconstructive surgery (medically necessary)|
|Podiatric surgery (provided by a registered podiatric surgeon)|
|Pain management with device|
|Implantation of hearing devices|
|Heart and vascular system|
|Back, neck and spine|
|Dialysis for chronic kidney failure|
|Weight loss surgery|
|Assisted reproductive services|
|Pregnancy and birth|
|Ambulance (Unlimited Emergency)|
|Chiro & Osteo|
|Podiatry & Orthotics|
|Antenatal & Postnatal Services|
|Eye Therapy (Orthoptics)|
|Hearing Aids & Speech Processors|
Qantas Health Insurance extras policies
- The percentage amount in brackets next to each extras policy is the portion of the cost that you can claim on services.
- Annual benefit limits are applied to the majority of extras services, which is the maximum amount you can claim per year.
- Waiting periods also apply, which you can find below this table.
Yes, waiting periods apply to both Qantas Health Insurance hospital and extras policies. You can find the amount of time you have to wait before being able to claim services below. If you're switching from another and have comparable cover your waiting limits will be recognised.
Exclusions are conditions under which the insurer will not pay a benefit and even the most comprehensive policies typically have some. Qantas Health Insurance's exclusions include the following:
- Procedures that take place within waiting periods. You must serve the waiting period before you can make a claim.
- Hospital cover for Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) medications. Non-PBS items are covered by extras.
- Hospital expenses other than medical treatments, such as beauty services, hospital pay phones and car parking.
- Non-approved providers. You can choose your own provider, but they must be suitably qualified and recognised.
- No hospital cover for non-essential treatments unless covered by the terms of the policy.
If you are found to have violated the terms of your health insurance policy, such as hiding pre-existing medical conditions, then the insurer reserves the right to refuse a claim.
The benefits offered by Qantas Health Insurance make it an effective choice for people who travel frequently and love their active lifestyles. You can find the criteria for receiving these rewards below.
If you are not sure whether your health insurance policy covers an upcoming medical procedure or treatment, it may be a good idea to check with the practitioner or your provider ahead of time to make sure it is claimable. Once you have confirmed that your treatment is eligible, you have several options available for lodging a claim:
- You can lodge hospital claims through the member portal on the Qantas Health Insurance website.
- You can use your membership card to claim medical extras if the facility where you received treatment has a HICAPS terminal.
- If you are unsure of how to go about claiming, you can contact the Qantas Health Insurance team directly at 13 49 60.
- Neglected your extras health insurance? Here’s how you could claim $500 back before 2021
- Huge progress as telehealth gets to stay post-Covid
- Millions of Aussies will pay more for health insurance from October
- How health insurance could save you cash in tax time 2020
- Final days before thousands of Aussies are hit with health insurance penalty
- Aussie health funds offer EOFY bargains
More guides on Finder
Compare $100,000 life insurance policies
$100,000 life insurance policies can be very affordable. Compare costs and cover here.
Compare $500,000 life insurance policies
Compare $500,000 life insurance policies, costs and cover here.
Life insurance for women
How to get life insurance for women.
How to start a beauty business
From qualifications to getting the right insurance in place, here’s our guide to starting your beautician business.
Washing machine insurance
No need to get in a spin – washing machine insurance has you and your clothes washer covered.
How much does trauma insurance cost?
Everything you need to know about the cost of trauma insurance.
How much does egg freezing cost?
Find out more about the costs of egg freezing and how to get cover.
How to insure your iPad against theft, loss and accidental damage – including the dreaded cracked screen.
Find out the ins and outs of art insurance and what type of cover is right for you.
TVs are fragile, high-value items that can be insured in various ways. Learn more here.
You might like these...
Ask an Expert