Peoplecare health insurance is a not-for-profit health fund that was established in 1952. It offers 5 hospital policies, 4 extras options and benefits ranging from gift cards to no gap dental.
- Peoplecare customer service is excellent. It has high member satisfaction rates and had just 0.1% of complaints (lower than its market share of 0.5%), according to the latest Private Health Insurance Ombudsman report.
- If price is your only concern, Peoplecare might not be for you — Medibank, HCF and CUA all tend to offer cheaper policies.
Review by our insurance and innovations editor Gary Ross Hunter
October update: Members can pay by direct debit from an account, credit card, BPay or cheque. No discounts or surcharges apply.
A not-for-profit fund, Peoplecare is run in the interests of its members and aims to pass on profits to its customers in the form of improved products and premium rates.
Entry to Peoplecare is non-restricted, so any Australian who is eligible to take out private health cover can join the fund.
With an emphasis on customer service, Peoplecare has a 24-hour Online Member Services department ready to field any questions you may have. It can also provide national coverage, as it has agreements in place with over 37,000 doctors and 540 private hospitals around the country.
Why compare health insurance with Finder?
We don't ask for your phone or email to see prices.
With 1 click, you can open your results to nearly every fund in Australia.
You pay the same price as going direct – we charge no fees.
A policy with Peoplecare comes with a few perks. These include:
- Receiving a giftcard if you refer a friend or family member to Peoplecare (they'll get one too).
- Discounts on Peoplecare Eyes & Teeth, Wollongong's no gap dental and optical store.
- Discounts on optical services at Eyebenefit.
- Get access to smile.com.au's network of dentists.
- Get access to exclusive deals with Specsavers.
- Get access to discounts on the biggest brands from Luxottica at Laubman & Pank.
Peoplecare aims to make the process of lodging a claim as easy as possible. If you incur hospital costs, in most cases the hospital will send the bill straight to your health fund. Peoplecare will then take care of the cost for you.
When it comes to medical claims, doctors should again send any claim straight through to Peoplecare, but if they don't you will need to claim from Medicare first and Medicare will then forward your claim on to Peoplecare.
Finally, if you need to make an extras claim there are several options at your disposal:
- Electronic claiming. Swiping your Peoplecare membership card on the spot at most general treatment providers will see the benefits you are entitled to deducted from your bill.
- Use the Peoplecare app. Peoplecare's claims app is available from the Apple App Store and the Google Play store.
- Claim online. Many extras claims can be lodged online through the Peoplecare website.
- Email. Complete a claim form, scan the form and your receipts and then email them back to your health fund.
- Post or fax. You can send your completed claim form and any receipts by mail or fax to Peoplecare.
Peoplecare does not directly offer overseas visitor health cover (OVHC) or overseas student health cover (OSHC) hospital policies, but will redirect you to their partner insurer Allianz Care where you can buy these policies.
Peoplecare does offer one standalone extras policy aimed at overseas students. It is called OSHC extras and it offers cover for general dental, some major dental, optical, physio, chiro and osteo therapies.
Our health insurance engine is completely free to use. You pay the same as buying directly from the health insurer. Better still, we regularly run exclusive deals that you won't find on any other site.
Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by an insurer. That means our opinions are our own and you can compare nearly every health fund in Australia on the site (and find a better deal).
We're here to help
Since 2014, we've helped 350,000+ people find health insurance by explaining your options simply. We'll never ask for your number or email to see prices. We're here to help you make a decision.