Peoplecare health insurance is a not-for-profit health fund that was established in 1952. It offers 5 hospital policies, 4 extras options and benefits ranging from gift cards to no gap dental.
- Peoplecare customer service is market-leading. It has a 96% member satisfaction rate and between October and December 2020, had only 3 complaints, according to the Private Health Insurance Ombudsman report.
- It's one of the few funds to put mental health front and centre. Their MindStep program can help you manage anxiety and depression — it's available with Silver Hospital, Silver Plus Hospital, Gold Hospital, Mid Hospital (Basic Plus) and Premium Hospital (Gold).
- If price is your only concern, Peoplecare might not be for you — Medibank, HCF and CUA all tend to offer cheaper policies.
Review by our insurance writer Gary Hunter
October update: Members can pay by direct debit from an account, credit card, BPay or cheque. No discounts or surcharges apply.
A not-for-profit fund, Peoplecare is run in the interests of its members and aims to pass on profits to its customers in the form of improved products and premium rates.
Entry to Peoplecare is non-restricted, so any Australian who is eligible to take out private health cover can join the fund.
With an emphasis on customer service, Peoplecare has a 24-hour Online Member Services department ready to field any questions you may have. It can also provide national coverage, as it has agreements in place with over 37,000 doctors and 540 private hospitals around the country.
- Basic Plus Hospital. This includes cover for 6 clinical categories including tonsils, joint reconstructions, miscarriage and termination of pregnancy, ideally suited to the fit and healthy. It's also good for tax minimisation—this level of cover lets you avoid paying the Medicare Levy Surcharge if you're a high income earner.
- Bronze Hospital. This policy offers cover for the 18 clinical categories required to get the Bronze label, including brain/nervous system treatments, digestive system treatments and pain management. It also includes emergency ambulance cover.
- Silver Hospital. This policy covers all 26 clinical categories the government requires a Silver policy to have, including cover for heart treatments, hearing implants and dental surgery. It also includes emergency ambulance cover.
- Silver Plus Hospital. This covers everything the Silver Core policy does plus a few more like sleep studies, insulin pumps, kidney dialysis and full instead of restricted cover for rehabilitation and palliative care.
- Gold Hospital. This covers all 38 clinical categories required in a Gold policy including pain management with device, pregnancy, weight loss surgery, assisted reproductive services (live IVF) and pain management with device.
- Simple Extras. This affordable option is suited to members who are young, healthy and fit. It covers general dental, physio, chiro and health management programs and pays 100% toward ambulance costs, 100% toward optical and 50% toward most other covered services up to your benefit limits.
- Mid Extras. For cover that is a little more comprehensive, Peoplecare Mid Extras covers general dental, major dental, optical, physio, orthoptics, occupational therapy and more. It also offers cover for some medications. It pays 100% toward ambulance expenses, 100% toward optical and 60% toward most other covered services up to your benefit limits.
- High Extras. This provides even more generous benefit limits than the above option and also adds cover for orthodontics, laser eye surgery, psychology, speech therapy, health aids, orthotics and hearing aids. It pays 100% toward ambulance expenses, 100% toward optical and 70% toward most other covered services up to your benefit limits.
- Premium Extras. Offering the maximum level of extras cover available from Peoplecare, Premium Extras covers general dental, major dental, orthodontics, laser eye surgery, exercise physiology, speech therapy, health management programs, health aids and a whole lot more. It pays 100% toward ambulance expenses, 100% toward optical and 80% toward most other services up to your benefit limits.
A policy with Peoplecare comes with a few perks. These include:
- Receiving a giftcard if you refer a friend or family member to Peoplecare (they'll get one too).
- Discounts on Peoplecare Eyes & Teeth, Wollongong's no gap dental and optical store.
- Discounts on optical services at Eyebenefit.
- Get access to smile.com.au's network of dentists.
- Deals for Peoplecare members on Peoplecare Eyes Online.
- Get access to exclusive deals with Specsavers.
- Get access to discounts on the biggest brands from Luxottica at Laubman & Pank.
Peoplecare aims to make the process of lodging a claim as easy as possible. If you incur hospital costs, in most cases the hospital will send the bill straight to your health fund. Peoplecare will then take care of the cost for you.
When it comes to medical claims, doctors should again send any claim straight through to Peoplecare, but if they don't you will need to claim from Medicare first and Medicare will then forward your claim on to Peoplecare.
Finally, if you need to make an extras claim there are several options at your disposal:
- Electronic claiming. Swiping your Peoplecare membership card on the spot at most general treatment providers will see the benefits you are entitled to deducted from your bill.
- Use the Peoplecare app. Peoplecare's claims app is available from the Apple App Store and the Google Play store.
- Claim online. Many extras claims can be lodged online through the Peoplecare website.
- Email. Complete a claim form, scan the form and your receipts and then email them back to your health fund.
- Post or fax. You can send your completed claim form and any receipts by mail or fax to Peoplecare.
Peoplecare does not directly offer overseas visitor health cover (OVHC) or overseas student health cover (OSHC) hospital policies, but will redirect you to their partner insurer Allianz Global Assistance where you can buy these policies.
People care does offer one standalone extras policy aimed at overseas students. It is called OSHC extras and it offers cover for general dental, some major dental, optical, physio, chiro and osteo therapies.