Peoplecare Health Insurance Review
Peoplecare Health Insurance offers a solid mix of hospital and extras policies combined with award-winning customer service.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Peoplecare is a not-for-profit health fund that offers a range of cover options to its members. It prides itself on offering first-rate customer service and has won numerous customer satisfaction awards, including topping all Australian Health funds in the IPSOS customer satisfaction rating for the third consecutive time in 2017.
Sign up deals with Peoplecare for April 2021
Compare Peoplecare Health Insurance options for you
Top 3 features
- Good for people who love their extras and want to get up to 80% back on covered treatments.
- Good for people who want choice, but not too much choice.
- Beware if you're after just Basic hospital cover in order to save on taxes, because Peoplcare doesn't have a Basic option.
Who is Peoplecare Health Insurance?
A not-for-profit fund, Peoplecare is run in the interests of its members and aims to pass on profits to its customers in the form of improved products and premium rates.
Entry to Peoplecare is non-restricted, so any Australian who is eligible to take out private health cover can join the fund.
With an emphasis on customer service, Peoplecare has a 24-hour Online Member Services department ready to field any questions you may have. It can also provide national coverage, as it has agreements in place with 30,000 doctors and 500 private hospitals around the country.
What health insurance options are available?
- Basic Plus Hospital. This includes cover for 6 clinical categories including tonsils, joint reconstructions, miscarriage and termination of pregnancy, ideally suited to the fit and healthy. It's also good for tax minimisation—this level of cover lets you avoid paying the Medicare Levy Surcharge if you're a high income earner.
- Bronze Hospital. This policy offers cover for the 18 clinical categories required to get the Bronze label, including brain/nervous system treatments, digestive system treatments and pain management. It also includes emergency ambulance cover.
- Silver Hospital. This policy covers all 26 clinical categories the government requires a Silver policy to have, including cover for heart treatments, hearing implants and dental surgery. It also includes emergency ambulance cover.
- Silver Plus Hospital. This covers everything the Silver Core policy does plus a few more like sleep studies, insulin pumps, kidney dialysis and full instead of restricted cover for rehabilitation and palliative care.
- Gold Hospital. This covers all 38 clinical categories required in a Gold policy including pain management with device, pregnancy, weight loss surgery, assisted reproductive services (live IVF) and pain management with device.
- Simple Extras. This affordable option is suited to members who are young, healthy and fit. It covers general dental, physio, chiro and health management programs and pays 100% toward ambulance costs, 100% toward optical and 50% toward most other covered services up to your benefit limits.
- Mid Extras. For cover that is a little more comprehensive, Peoplecare Mid Extras covers general, dental, major dental, optical, physio, orthoptics, occupational therapy and more. It also offers cover for some medications. It pays 100% toward ambulance expenses, 100% toward optical and 60% toward most other covered services up to your benefit limits.
- High Extras. This provides even more generous benefit limits than the above option and also adds cover for orthodontics, laser eye surgery, psychology, speech therapy, health aids, orthotics and hearing aids. It pays 100% toward ambulance expenses, 100% toward optical and 70% toward most other covered services up to your benefit limits.
- Premium Extras. Offering the maximum level of extras cover available from Peoplecare, Premium Extras covers general dental, major dental, orthodontics, laser eye surgery, exercise physiology, speech therapy, health management programs, health aids and a whole lot more. It pays 100% toward ambulance expenses, 100% toward optical and 80% toward most other services up to your benefit limits.
Peoplecare member benefits
A policy with Peoplecare comes with a few perks. These include:
- Receiving a giftcard if you refer a friend or family member to Peoplecare (they'll get one too).
- Discounts on Peoplecare Eyes & Teeth, Wollongong's no gap dental and optical store.
- Deals for Peoplecare members on Peoplecare Eyes Online.
- Get access to smile.com.au's network of dentists.
- Discounts on optical services at Eyebenefit.
- Get access to exclusive deals with Specsavers.
- Get access to discounts on the biggest brands from Luxottica at Laubman & Pank.
- 10% discount on travel insurance through Peoplecare.
How to make a claim
Peoplecare aims to make the process of lodging a claim as easy as possible. If you incur hospital costs, in most cases the hospital will send the bill straight to your health fund. Peoplecare will then take care of the cost for you.
When it comes to medical claims, doctors should again send any claim straight through to Peoplecare, but if they don't you will need to claim from Medicare first and Medicare will then forward your claim on to Peoplecare.
Finally, if you need to make an extras claim there are several options at your disposal:
- Electronic claiming. Swiping your Peoplecare membership card on the spot at most general treatment providers will see the benefits you are entitled to deducted from your bill.
- Use the Peoplecare app. Peoplecare's claims app is available from the Apple App Store and the Google Play store.
- Claim online. Many extras claims can be lodged online through the Peoplecare website.
- Email. Complete a claim form, scan the form and your receipts and then email them back to your health fund.
- Post or fax. You can send your completed claim form and any receipts by mail or fax to Peoplecare.
Overseas visitors or students
Peoplecare does not directly offer overseas visitor health cover (OVHC) or overseas student health cover (OSHC) hospital policies, but will redirect you to their partner insurer Allianz Global Assistance where you can buy these policies.
People care does offer one standalone extras policy aimed at overseas students. It is called OSHC extras and it offers cover for general dental, some major dental, optical, physio, chiro and osteo therapies.
More guides on Finder
Optical inclusion: Extras cover the top reason for taking out health insurance, survey finds
Extras cover is the number one drawcard for Australians who take out private health cover, new research from Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site, reveals.
Going up: 4.6 million health insurance customers are missing out on potential savings
Millions of Australians could be missing out saving money on their health insurance policy, according to Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site.
What are covered events in home insurance?
All home insurance policies have a common list of covered events. These insured events include things like fire, storm and theft.
4.1 million Australians may cut ties with their health insurance provider in 2021
Millions of Australians are shopping around for cheaper health insurance in the new year, according to new research by Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site.
How much do veneers cost in Australia?
Find out how much veneers cost in Australia and how you can avoid being hit with a big bill.
How much do dentures cost in Australia?
Find out how much dentures cost in Australia and how you can get cover with mid-level health insurance.
Landlord insurance: Subletting
We've done our best to explain how landlord insurance deals with subletting. It's a tricky one but here's what we know.
Health insurance for young adults
Find out how to get cheap health insurance for young people.
How much does IVF cost in Australia?
A single IVF treatment typically costs over $8,000 in Australia. Here’s how Medicare and private health insurance can help.
Hotel health and safety measures that will help keep you safe during COVID-19
Have a safe stay on your next Australian getaway with these hotel health and safety measures.
You might like these...
Ask an Expert