Phoenix Health Fund Review
Phoenix Health is a not-for-profit health fund with a few simple choices of hospital or combined health coverage. Phoenix boasts a 97% customer satisfaction rating, according to its latest customer survey - learn if Phoenix is right for you.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Top 3 features
- Good for people who like their extras, as Phoenix Health Fund offers lots of unique treatment options in its Top Extras policy.
- Good for rural and regional Australians who travel far for their treatment.
- Beware if you're just trying to save on taxes, as Phoenix health Fund doesn't offer Basic hospital policies.
Who is Phoenix Health Fund?
Phoenix Health Fund is a member of the Members Owned Health Fund brand, which means it is run solely to benefit its members rather than to turn a profit. Since its beginnings in 1953, Phoenix Health Fund has aimed to provide affordable and top-quality health insurance to its members. It boasts a 97% member satisfaction rate and offers cover to suit singles, couples and families.
As a member of the Australian Health Service Alliance (AHSA), Phoenix can offer its members access to more contracted doctors and hospitals than any of the big health funds, as well as offer an Access Gap Scheme to reduce and even remove your out of pocket expenses.
Phoenix Health Fund awards
2019 Finder Awards
Winner: Best Health Insurance - Gold
Phoenix Health Fund Limited Gold Top Hospital $500 excess
Phoenix Health Fund's gold-level hospital cover came out on top for great value and range of treatments.
What health insurance options are available?
- Bronze Hospital.This policy covers the 18 clinical categories required to make it a Bronze rating. This means you'll get cover for services like tonsils, miscarriage and termination of pregnancy, chemotherapy and other essential services.
- Bronze Plus Essentials Hospital.This policy covers 18 clinical categories required to get the Bronze label plus it also comes with lung and chest, blood and dental surgery.
- Bronze Plus Care Hospital.On top of everything that you get with Bronze Plus Essentials, you'll also get medically necessary plastic and reconstructive surgery, and heart and vascular cover with Plus Care.
- Silver Everyday Hospital.This policy covers all 26 clinical categories required for a Silver Policy. You'll get cover for back, neck and spine, implantation of hearing devices, podiatric surgery and more.
- Silver Plus Content Hospital.This includes everything that's covered by Silver Everyday plus cataracts, joint replacements, pregnancy and birth and assisted reproductive services.
- Silver Plus Advantage Hospital.This policy covers all 26 clinical categories required of a Silver Policy plus a few more including insulin pumps, dialysis for chronic kidney failure and pain management. It does not cover pregnancy and birth.
Phoenix Health Fund's extras policies are as follows
- Kick Start Extras 50. This is a very basic extras policy covering general dental, some pharmaceuticals, chiro, osteo and physio. It gives you 50% back, up to annual limits.
- Everyday Extras 60. This covers what Kick Start Extras 50 does plus a range of other services including major dental, optical, orthodontic, acupuncture, podiatry and more. It gives you 60% back, up to annual limits.
- Complete Extras 70. This covers what mid does plus hearing aids. It also gives you 70% back on your policy, up to annual limits.
You can mix and match hospital and extras cover for a combined policy.
- Healthy lifestyle program. Phoenix Health Fund members with mid-level extras policies and above have access to a healthy lifestyle program that includes preventive health screens and health management programs like quit smoking classes, gym memberships and diabetes management courses.
How to make a claim
In the majority of cases, many general treatment providers will provide on-the-spot electronic claiming when you receive your treatment. All you have to do is swipe your Phoenix Health Fund membership and any benefits you are entitled to will be automatically deducted from your bill.
Where this is not an option, you'll be required to fill out and send in a claim form that includes your receipt, your membership number, the date the service was provided, the details of the service provided and the details of the service provider. Your claim form can then be submitted via email, post or fax, or via your smartphone using the Phoenix Health Fund Mobile Claiming app.
More guides on Finder
Optical inclusion: Extras cover the top reason for taking out health insurance, survey finds
Extras cover is the number one drawcard for Australians who take out private health cover, new research from Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site, reveals.
Going up: 4.6 million health insurance customers are missing out on potential savings
Millions of Australians could be missing out on health insurance policy savings according to new Finder research.
4.1 million Australians may cut ties with their health insurance provider in 2021
Millions of Australians are shopping around for cheaper health insurance in the new year, according to new research by Finder.
Health insurance for young adults
Find out how to get cheap health insurance for young people.
Hotel health and safety measures that will help keep you safe during COVID-19
Have a safe stay on your next Australian getaway with these hotel health and safety measures.
1 October price hike: Aussies urged to do a health check on their insurance
Finder research shows that Australians have just under one week to beat the health insurance price increase on 1 October.
Finder Awards 2020 Best Health Insurance – Bronze (Hospital)
Winner, finalists and methodology for Finder Awards 2020 Best Health Insurance - Bronze (Hospital).
Finder Awards 2020 Best Health Insurance – Silver (Hospital)
Winner, finalists and methodology for Finder Awards 2020 Best Health Insurance - Silver (Hospital).
Finder Awards 2020 Best Health Insurance – Gold (Hospital)
Winner, finalists and methodology for Finder Awards 2020 Best Health Insurance - Gold (Hospital).
Millions of Aussies will pay more for health insurance from October
Planned price hikes were paused in April due to COVID. Now, they're back on.
You might like these...
Ask an Expert