2019 Finder Awards
Winner: Best Health Insurance - Gold
Phoenix Health Fund Limited Gold Top Hospital $500 excess
Phoenix Health Fund's gold-level hospital cover came out on top for great value and range of treatments.
A not-for-profit, member-owned health fund, Phoenix provides a few simple choices of hospital cover or combined hospital plus extras cover. Phoenix also boasts a 97% customer satisfaction rating according to its latest customer survey.
Top 3 features
- Good for people who like their extras, as Phoenix Health Fund offers lots of unique treatment options in its Top Extras policy.
- Good for rural and regional Australians who travel far for their treatment.
- Beware if you're just trying to save on taxes, as Phoenix health Fund doesn't offer Basic hospital policies.
Phoenix Health Fund is a member of the Members Owned Health Fund brand, which means it is run solely to benefit its members rather than to turn a profit. Since its beginnings in 1953, Phoenix Health Fund has aimed to provide affordable and top-quality health insurance to its members. It boasts a 97% member satisfaction rate and offers cover to suit singles, couples and families.
As a member of the Australian Health Service Alliance (AHSA), Phoenix can offer its members access to more contracted doctors and hospitals than any of the big health funds, as well as offer an Access Gap Scheme to reduce and even remove your out of pocket expenses.
- Basic Plus Simple Start Hospital. This policy covers a lot more than is required by new government reforms including gastrointestinal endoscopy, eye (not cataracts) and ear, nose and throat.
- Bronze Plus Hospital with Heart. This policy offers cover for the 18 clinical categories required to get the Bronze label plus it also comes with heart and vascular cover, and dental surgery.
- Silver Everyday Hospital. This policy covers all 26 clinical categories required for a Silver Policy. You'll get cover for dental surgery, blood, back, neck and spine, and more.
- Silver Plus Advantage Hospital. This policy covers all 26 clinical categories required of a Silver Policy plus a few more including cataracts, insulin pumps and pain management. It also includes cover for emergency ambulance.
- Gold Complete Hospital. This covers all 38 clinical categories required for the Gold label including pregnancy, weight loss surgery and assisted reproductive services (like IVF). It also includes emergency ambulance cover. There is a $500 or $750 excess.
Phoenix Health Fund's extras policies are as follows
- Kick Start Extras 50. This is a very basic extras policy covering general dental, some pharmaceuticals, chiro, osteo and physio. It gives you 50% back, up to annual limits.
- Everyday Extras 60. This covers what Kick Start Extras 50 does plus a range of other services including major dental, optical, orthodontic, acupuncture, podiatry and more. It gives you 60% back, up to annual limits.
- Complete Extras 70. This covers what mid does plus hearing aids. It also gives you 70% back on your policy, up to annual limits.
You can mix and match hospital and extras cover for a combined policy.
- Healthy lifestyle program. Phoenix Health Fund members with mid-level extras policies and above have access to a healthy lifestyle program that includes preventive health screens and health management programs like quit smoking classes, gym memberships and diabetes management courses.
In the majority of cases, many general treatment providers will provide on-the-spot electronic claiming when you receive your treatment. All you have to do is swipe your Phoenix Health Fund membership and any benefits you are entitled to will be automatically deducted from your bill.
Where this is not an option, you'll be required to fill out and send in a claim form that includes your receipt, your membership number, the date the service was provided, the details of the service provided and the details of the service provider. Your claim form can then be submitted via email, post or fax, or via your smartphone using the Phoenix Health Fund Mobile Claiming app.