Health Care Insurance offers one top-tier Gold policy and a choice of three levels of extras cover.
Health Care Insurance (HCI) is a not-for-profit health insurer, meaning that all surplus profits are rerouted back into the fund rather than into shareholders' pockets. This allows HCI to be more competitive with its products and perks.
The one hospital policy it offers sits at the highest tier you can get, which is Gold. There are also two standalone extras policies and one combined policy that packages the Gold Hospital policy with HCI's highest level of extras cover.
Top 3 features
- Good for people who want top cover. HCI's Gold Hospital with Premiere Extras is a combined policy that gives you among the highest levels of hospital and extras cover you can find.
- Good for people who want to save on out-of-pocket costs. HCI gives you access to more than 16,000 private doctors who have agreed to reduce or eliminate their gap.
- Beware if you want lower levels of hospital cover. Gold is the only choice.
HCI is a not-for-profit insurer that has been based out of Burnie, Tasmania since 1938. It is wholly owned by its members, who are also responsible for electing the fund's board of directors.
HCI is part of the Australian Health Services Alliance (AHSA), an alliance of not-for-profit insurers that gives these funds access to more than 16,000 private doctors around Australia who have agreed to reduce or eliminate certain out-of-pocket costs for all members.
HCI keeps things simple by offering only one top-tier Gold policy:
Gold Hospital. This meets the government's requirement for Gold cover, meaning it fully covers all 38 clinical categories of treatment including not only basic treatments but also more complicated ones like heart disease, cancer, pregnancy, insulin pumps and kidney dialysis. You can choose and excess of $250 or $500.
You can buy this policy in a package with HCI's top level of extras cover, purchase it separately or mix and match it with one of HCI's other two extras policies described below.
HCI offers two extras policies, although one only comes as a bundle alongside the Gold Hospital policy:
- Active Life Extras. This is HCI's entry level policy covering general dental, major dental, optical and a few therapies like acupuncture, physio and chiro.
- Healthy Extras. This covers everything Active Life does plus ambulance cover, hearing aids, eye therapy, pharmacy, psychology and a lot more.
Gold Hospital with Premiere Extras. This is the only pre-packaged combined policy you can purchase. The benefit of going with this package is that it's the only way you can get HCI's highest level of extras cover.
In addition to the Gold Hospital policy described above in the hospital section, you'll also get the Premiere Extras policy. This extras policy covers everything Active and Healthy Extras cover plus laser eye surgery and membership to Diabetes Australia.
You'll also get travel and accommodation expenses if you have to travel 50km or more for hospital or extras treatment.
Here are some other perks you'll get as an HBF member:
- Access Gap Cover. HCI has a network of 16,000 doctors and 500 private hospitals in their Access Gap Cover schemes. If you visit one of these, you can reduce or eliminate the gap that many private doctors commonly charge above the standard benefit amount.
- No excess for day admissions. You only have to pay your excess if you're admitted overnight.
There are several options available when you need to claim a benefit from Health Care Insurance. These include:
- HICAPS claiming system. Many funds will offer electronic claiming through HICAPS. To receive your benefits just swipe your membership card at the relevant terminal.
- Smartphone. You can submit your claim via mobile using the Health Care Insurance app. It is available on both iOS and Android and can be downloaded below.
- Email, fax or post. Submit a completed claim form (which are available for download from the Health Care Insurance website) to the health fund via email, post or fax.
In person. If you are a resident of Burnie in Tasmania you can drop off a form in person at Health Care Insurance's head office.
Hospital claims. Your hospital should forward the details of your claim directly to the Health Care Insurance. If you receive a bill from your doctor for medical treatment you received in hospital, you'll need to lodge your claim with Medicare first before submitting it to Health Care Insurance.
Download the Health Care Insurance app
|Health Care Insurance|
If you would like to join Health Care Insurance you can do so quickly and easily online. You will need to provide the following details when filling out a membership application form:
- The details of everyone who will be covered.
- Your bank account or credit card details.
- Information concerning your previous health fund (if applicable).