Get cover to suit your budget and lifestyle.
Do you need corporate health insurance? Compare your options from Grand United Corporate Health (GU).
Grand United Corporate Health (GU Health) is Australia’s only specialist corporate health insurer. With a focus on providing innovative and affordable health insurance solutions to corporates, GU Health offer tailored cover and is part of the Australian Unity Group. Keep reading to find out more about the benefits offered by GU Health.
As Grand United Corporate Health tailors its cover products to meet the needs of different employers, we can’t provide a set list of the policies it offers. However, we can run through the features and benefits of its cover options.
Depending on your policy, GU Health usually covers hospital accommodation and theatre fees in either a public hospital or one of its partner private hospitals. You’ll need to refer to the "Your Plan Information" document you receive when you take out cover for information that relates specifically to your cover.
The insurer offers benefits for an extensive range of inpatient services you receive while in hospital, covering the difference between the portion of your bills covered by Medicare and the Medicare Benefits Schedule. It also runs an Access Gap Cover scheme to reduce, and in some cases remove altogether, your out-of-pocket costs for specialist treatment in hospital.
Covered treatments can include accidental injuries, maternity services, assisted reproductive services, dental surgery, pharmaceuticals in hospital, surgically implanted prostheses, psychiatric care and hospital care at home.
When it comes to extras cover, the range of treatments covered and the benefit limits available will vary depending on the plans offered by your employer and the level of cover you choose. Benefits are payable for services such as general and major dental, orthodontic, optical, physio, chiropractic, natural therapies, pharmaceuticals, aids and appliances and health management services.
What additional benefits does GU Health offer its members?
GU Health members can enjoy a wide range of discounts from some of the health fund’s partners, including:
- 20% off clothing and accessories with Brooks Running
- Specially negotiated travel insurance premiums with ACE Travel Insurance
- Save up to $50 on hundreds of brands from OnSport
- Save 10% with The Hamper Emporium
- Save 20% off bras from Moving Comfort
Like all other private health funds, there are a range of situations when GU Corporate Health will not pay a benefit, including:
- If your premium payments are not up to date
- If your claim is for treatment or services received outside Australia
- If your claim is for treatment received at least two years prior to the date you lodge your health insurance claim
- If you have already reached your annual benefit limit or lifetime benefit limit
- If your claim is for high-cost drugs or pharmaceuticals not covered under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme
- If you are not being treated for any specific health condition
- If your claim is for treatment and services from a provider not recognised by GU Health
- If your claim is for services that aren’t delivered in a one-on-one consultation
- If you receive two or more of the same consultations, from the same provider, on the same day
- If your claim is for services received from a provider who is a member of your family or your partner’s family
- If you are able to recover costs from a third party, such as an authority or another form of insurance
- If your claim is for treatments or medical services required as part of your application for employment
- If your claim is for treatments rendered in a nursing home
- If your claim is for treatment that GU Health does not deem appropriate or reasonable
- If your claim is for cosmetic surgery or surgical podiatry
- If you are treated in hospital as an outpatient, for example treatment you receive in an emergency room
- If your claim is for pharmaceuticals that are not directly related to the reason for your hospital admission
- If your claim is for personal expenses incurred in hospital, such as TV rental fees, newspapers and phone calls
GU Health offers a range of non-resident cover options for individuals and their families who are visiting Australia on a visa. These policies provide cover for everything that an Australian resident would be eligible to receive cover for from Medicare.
For services that feature an MBS item number, members can receive up to 100% of cover for medical services received both in and out of hospital, including X-rays, ultrasound services and pathology. Hospital accommodation, intensive care, theatre fees, drugs, prostheses and diagnostic tests.
Claiming on your GU Health policy is quick and easy. For many extras claims, all you’ll have to do is swipe your GU Health membership card at your treatment provider’s HICAPS facility. Where this is not an option, GU Health runs a simple-to-use online claims system called Flex-eClaim, which allows you to claim online in three easy steps. Alternatively, claim forms can be downloaded from the GU Health website and submitted by post or email.
When it comes to hospital claims, your treating hospital will send your bill straight to your health fund. If you need to lodge a medical claim, you will first have to visit a Medicare office and obtain a Statement of Benefit Advice confirmation letter. You can then send this letter and your claim form to GU Health.
Q. Can I register a student dependent on my policy?
- A. Yes, GU Health allows you to take out cover for a child of you or your partner who is aged from 21-24 years of age, studying fulltime, does not have a partner and is financially dependent on you.
Q. What is GU Health’s Member Support Program?
- A. This program allows you to leave hospital early by providing the treatment you need in the comfort of your own home. The program includes services such as physiotherapy, occupational therapy, nursing, personal care attendance, home help, maternity nursing care, medical equipment hire.
Q. How many corporates does GU Health provide cover for?
- A. GU Health offers tailored insurance solutions for the employees of more than 300 companies around Australia.
Q. How can I find a doctor or hospital?
- A. If you want to find a doctor who participates in GU Health’s Access Gap Cover scheme or a hospital that has an agreement with GU Health, use the ‘Find a Provider’ feature on the GU Health website.
Read more on this topic
Health funds freeze prices in fight to keep customers Major insurers are postponing the planned price hike. Here's why you should care.
How much does dental really cost? Find out how much you should be paying for these 5 common dental procedures
Complaints drop following health insurance overhaul Ombudsman says the new tier system could be to thank for positive change.
Health insurance premium rates are rising in Australia Get the lowdown on what's happening, so you can get a better deal on your health insurance.
Medical costs comparison Doing a medical costs comparison could save you a lot of money. Here's how to reduce your out-of-pocket medical expenses.
10 most expensive surgeries in Australia The cost of a particular surgery and what you actually end up paying out-of-pocket varies.
The 7 most expensive places to need an ambulance If you don't have ambulance cover, an emergency ride could cost you hundreds, if not thousands of dollars.
You might like these...
Ask an Expert