RT Health Fund Review
Compare RT Health Fund with dozens of other policies and find the cover that is best* for you and your family.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
When it comes to your health, you want to know that you and your loved ones will be able to get the care you need whenever you need it. While the Medicare system goes some of the way to ensuring that you get the medical treatment you need, for the ultimate peace of mind you need to take out private health insurance.
If you’re looking for private health cover for yourself or for the entire family, RT Health Fund is a not-for-profit fund owned by its members. Established more than 126 years ago, RT Health Fund offers five levels of hospital cover and three levels of extras cover to suit your cover needs and budget.
Choosing the right cover
RT Health Fund provides five hospital cover options that offer an increasing range of benefits and an increasing premium cost for the higher level of cover: Basic Public Hospital, Bronze Plus First Start Hospital, Bronze Plus Step Up Hospital, Silver Plus Smart Hospital No Pregnancy and Gold Premium Hospital. These can be purchased as standalone cover or you can choose to mix and match them with one of the three extras cover options: Value Extras, Smart Extras and Premium Extras.
Do I need health insurance?
If you’re weighing up whether or not you need health insurance cover, all you need to do is take the Australian Government’s Lifetime Health Cover Scheme into account. Under the scheme, you’ll be charged a premium loading for every year after you turn 31 that you do not have some form of private health cover in place. In other words, the sooner you take out cover the cheaper it will be.
With this in mind, you’ll have to decide on the right cover option for you – and the right cover can differ greatly from one person to the next. For example, someone in their mid 50s with a history of health problems is going to need very different cover to a young, fit and healthy applicant. Consider what you need cover for and how much you want to spend before you choose a fund.
RT Health Insurance Levels of Cover
RT Health Fund offers the following hospital cover options:
Gold Premium Hospital
- No exclusions or restrictions; this policy covers up to 100% of the cost of treatment in the private or public hospital of your choice, and covers you for all 38 clinical categories.
Silver Plus Smart Hospital No Pregnancy
- Comprehensive cover that suits most people's needs. It doesn't cover you for procedures such as joint replacement, pregnancy, or kidney dialysis so it's more affordable than Gold Premium.
Bronze Plus Step Up Hospital
- Suited to the young and healthy, exclusions include joint replacement procedures and their revisions, kidney dialysis, spinal surgery and major eye surgery.
Bronze Plus First Start Hospital
- For those without any specific health issues or concerns. Available with a $350 or $700 excess, First Start covers you for some treatments of a public hospital or partnered private hospital and lets you choose your doctor.
Basic Public Hospital
- As the name suggests, this option only covers you for treatment in a public hospital, not a private hospital. However, you can receive treatment from the doctor of your choice and receive up to 100% of hospital costs. Ambulance attendance and transportation is also covered.
Extras available from RT Health
There are three levels of extras cover, that can be purchased alongside hospital or as standalone products.
- This is RT Health Fund’s top-level extras cover option and it provides cover for general and major dental, orthodontics, optical, physiotherapy, chiropractic, occupational therapy, orthoptics, dietetics, audiology, podiatry, speech therapy, psychology, pharmaceuticals, vaccines, alternative therapies, home nursing, hearing aids, health aids and more.
- This mid-level policy option covers the same general treatments as a Premium Extras policy but does not provide as generous benefit limits. It also excludes orthodontics cover, creating a combination between a broad range of cover and affordability.
- This entry-level extras cover option excludes a number of treatment types and features lower benefit limits. However, it still provides cover for general dental, optical, physio, chiropractic, occupational therapy, orthoptics, dietetics, alternative therapies, vaccines, pharmaceuticals, health aids and hearing aids.
Are there any additional benefits?
- No excess for dependent children. RT Health Fund hospital cover members will never have to pay an excess for their dependent children.
- Affordable cover. Sole parent cover is available to make health insurance more affordable for single parent families.
- Cover your kids up to the age of 25. If any of your kids are unmarried and full-time students, they can stay covered under your RT family policy until they reach 25 years of age.
- Optical and dental discounts. Fund members can access a range of discounted products and services at the fund’s new optical practices in Surry Hills and Newcastle. A range of dental and eyewear discounts are also available.
- Free health management programs. RT Health Fund members can take advantage of two free health management programs. Hospital at Home offers hospital-equivalent care to you at home, while health4life helps you make healthy lifestyle changes to prevent chronic disease.
What isn't covered?
Your RT Health Fund claim will not be paid if:
- It is for a treatment excluded from your level of cover. For example, Smart Hospital excludes cover for joint replacement procedures
- It is for services received more than two years prior to submitting your claim
- It is for a service for which Medicare does not offer a benefit
- It is for cosmetic surgery that is not medically necessary
- If you are admitted to a private hospital with which RT Health Fund does not have a contract
- It is for hospital or medical costs incurred for outpatient treatment
- It is for private hospital emergency department fees
- It is for treatment received overseas
- It is for discharge pharmaceuticals
- It is for hospital costs not related to the reason for your admission, for example TV hire and phone calls
- You have Smart Hospital or Value Hospital cover and you receive treatment in a private hospital which you are only covered for in a public hospital
- It is for treatment provided in a non-hospital facility, for example a nursing home.
Am I eligible to join?RT Health Fund is a restricted membership fund that offers cover to employees in the transport and energy industries and their families. In order to be eligible to become a member of RT Health Fund you will need to be a current or former employee of a:
- Land, sea or air transport company
- Government body that administers the air, land or sea transport industries
- Energy generation or delivery company
- Contract company that provides any of the above services
Current and former members of Railways Credit Union Limited can also join, while you can also join if you are related to an eligible person. This means you must be their parent, sibling, brother- or sister-in-law, partner or former partner, child, grandchild, son- or daughter-in-law, or niece or nephew.
Does RT Health Insurance have an excess?
Depending on the level of hospital cover you take out, you may be required to pay an excess when you are admitted to hospital. The excess is the amount you pay to contribute to your hospital costs and allows you to enjoy lower premiums. Under Gold Hospital, you can choose to pay an optional excess or no excess at all. Both Silver Hospital and Bronze Hospital policies come with an excess that you'll need to pay when you're admitted to hospital, and the amount you have to pay will be detailed in your policy schedule.
I need to make a claim ... what do I do?
If you receive treatment in a private hospital, in most cases the hospital’s bills will be sent directly to your health fund. However, you may receive bills from the different doctors who treat you, and you’ll need to take them to a Medicare office and fill out a two-way claim form. Medicare will then forward your claim on to RT Health Fund to cover the 25% gap that Medicare does not pay.
When you need to make an extras claim, many providers will offer on-the-spot electronic claiming that simply requires you to swipe your membership card. Where this option is not available you will have to download a claim form from the RT Health website, fill it out and submit it to the health fund.
FAQs RT Health
Compare health insurance policies today
If you’re eligible to become a member of RT Health Fund, consider the benefits and features it offers when choosing private health cover. Comparing the products offered by a range of funds is the best* way to ensure that you get the cover you need for you and your family.
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best online deals in Australia, hand-picked by Finder's shopping experts.
Hotel health and safety measures that will help keep you safe during COVID-19
Have a safe stay on your next Australian getaway with these hotel health and safety measures.
1 October price hike: Aussies urged to do a health check on their insurance
Finder research shows that Australians have just under one week to beat the health insurance price increase on 1 October.
ThinkMarkets review Australia: ASX share trading
Trade ASX shares and ETFs with commissions starting at $8.
WILD LIFE Sydney Zoo review
Centrally located, packed full of local critters and perfect for families, WILD LIFE Sydney offers a few fun hours out.
Square Payments & Payroll review Australia
Square offers simple ways for businesses to accept card payments, along with a range of other services including payroll.
Individual Income tax rates in Australia
Find the latest income tax rates set by the ATO
Finder Awards 2020 Best Health Insurance – Bronze (Hospital)
Winner, finalists and methodology for Finder Awards 2020 Best Health Insurance - Bronze (Hospital).
Finder Awards 2020 Best Health Insurance – Silver (Hospital)
Winner, finalists and methodology for Finder Awards 2020 Best Health Insurance - Silver (Hospital).
Finder Awards 2020 Best Health Insurance – Gold (Hospital)
Winner, finalists and methodology for Finder Awards 2020 Best Health Insurance - Gold (Hospital).
You might like these...
Ask an Expert