Frank is a modern insurance company with a transparent and clear website that is easy to understand and navigate. With a range of basic hospital and extras policies, they have cover ideal for singles and couples as well as comprehensive cover for those planning on starting or growing their family.
Top 3 features
- Good for letting you choose your own health providers
- Good for simple and easy claiming, either online or at your provider
- Good for choice. You can pick a hospital or extras product by itself, or combine cover with a pre-packaged bundle.
Frank Health Insurance was established in 2009 and is owned by GMHBA, a company established in Geelong more than 75 years ago.
Frank prides itself on offering simple and uncomplicated policies to take the confusion out of health cover and it provides a wealth of policy options to cover a wide selection of medical services and treatments.
- Basic Hospital 500 (basic+). This is a public hospital policy that provides benefits as a private patient in a public hospital for all procedures or services except from insulin pumps, weight loss surgery and dialysis for chronic kidney failure. Ideal for fit, young and healthy people.
- Basic Hospital Plus (Basic+). This policy provides benefits as a private patient in a public hospital for a range of procedures as well as some benefits as a private patient in a private hospital.
- Private Hospital (Bronze). The first 'bronze' policy, this policy provides affordable cover in a private hospital for some of the more basic treatments.
- Better Hospital (Bronze+). Like Bronze - cover includes the 18 clinical categories required for a Bronze rating - as well as things like medically necessary plastic and reconstructive surgery.
- Silver Hospital (Silver). Get some of the perks of private health care without a premium pricetag. Silver hospital gives you access to a range of hospital treatments while excluding some such as pregnancy and sleep studies, to help keep costs down.
- Max Hospital (Silver+). If you want peace of mind, this policy gives you a great balance of value and comprehensive cover. With no pregnancy cover, it's ideal if you are a completed family or don't plan to have children.
- Top Hospital (Silver+). The most comprehensive option, this product covers the 26 clinical categories required for a Silver rating as well as birth and pregnancy services, helping towards things like theatre surgery costs as well as shared or private room accommodation charges in a private hospital.
- Simple Extras. From $6.20 per week, simple extras gives you the same amount back in your pocket every time you visit, up to your annual limits. Plus, you can get 100% back on optical up to your annual limit.
- Some Extras. From $7 per week, Some Extras covers popular extras like dental, optical and the occasional alternative therapy with your choice of either 50% or 80% back.
- Everyday Extras. From $9.30 per week, Everyday Extras covers the basics as well as services like health maintenance. You can also choose your own provider and get the same amount back each visit, up to annual limits.
- More Extras. From $11.70 per week, More Extras gives you access to services including health maintenance benefits, Orthodontics, Podiatry and more. You can also choose your own provider and get the same amount back each visit, up to annual limits.
- Lots Extras. From $12.70 per week, Lots Extras gives you head to toe coverage - ideal for those who like to take good care of themselves. It also comes with your choice of either 50% or 80% back.
- The Essentials Bundle (Silver). Packed into one convenient package, this bundle gives you a range of extras services to help keep yourself fit and healthy, as well as all the hospital services you get with a silver rated service. It also includes benefits for several procedures in a private hospital, gives you 60% back on popular extras and has some exclusions to help you keep costs down.
As a result of the new classification system that came into place on April 1 2019 (and due to be rolled out by all insurers by 1 April 2020) Frank Insurance have incorporated new ratings into their policy options e.g. Basic, Bronze and Silver. All insurers are obligated to make the changes which allows you to more easily compare insurers and find the best possible deal.
As of 1 April 2019, Frank insurance can provide a discounted premium on hospital cover of 2% each year you are aged under 30 from when you first purchase hospital insurance. As part of the government's reforms, Australians aged between 18 and 29 years old will be eligible to receive up to 10% off their private hospital insurance premiums.
If your health care provider offers on-the-spot electronic claiming, all you have to do is swipe your Frank membership card when the time comes to pay your bill. Any benefits you receive will be instantly deducted from the overall cost of your bill.
If this option is not available, however, you'll need to lodge the claim online through the member area of the Frank Health Insurance website. Alternatively, you can also download, print and complete a claim form and then return it to Frank.
If you're planning on visiting or studying in Australia, it's often the case that you need health insurance as part of your visa requirements. Frank's Overseas Visitor Health Insurance (OVHC) is tailored to people applying for or on the 457 Temporary Work Visa, 482 Temporary Skill Shortage Visa or 485 Temporary Graduate Visa.