We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
UniHealth is the only Australian private health insurance fund solely for the higher education community and their families. It gives value health insurance to its members through lower costs and generous benefits.
Top 3 features
- Good for anyone working at a higher education institution in Australia and their family.
- Good for a wide range of member offers.
- Beware if you're looking for mid-level extras.
Who is UniHealth?
As an industry-based health fund, UniHealth membership is available to those working in a higher education institution in Australia – universities, colleges, TAFEs and RTOs. Eligible members include lecturers, tutors, management, support and administration staff and maintenance workers, as long as you are a current or former member of a relevant education union. Plus your spouse or partner, or any member of your immediate family can join too.
Not-for-profit fund UniHealth is part of Teachers Health, which is built on 60 years of health expertise, with a more specialised focus in order to deliver more benefits to its members. Along with Teachers Health, UniHealth provides health insurance policies to over 350,000 people.
What health insurance options are available?
UniHealth's Hospital covers are designed to suit different life stages and needs.
- Top Hospital (Gold). UniHealth's most comprehensive Hospital product, so you'll be covered for a range of services including pregnancy, heart procedures and hip or knee joint replacements. Cover includes all hospital accommodation and theatre expenses at any public hospital and all private hospitals which hold an agreement with UniHealth.
- Mid Classic (Silver Plus). A mid-level option with broad cover that won't break the budget. This policy is designed to give you cover for everyday health needs, but not the expensive big-ticket services. It provides private hospital cover for a wide range of services, including coverage for services such as heart and vascular and joint reconstructions. This cover also includes some excluded services, such as pregnancy and birth and joint replacements. You can choose a $300 or $500 excess, for a reduced premium.
- Mid Hospital (Basic Plus). Another mid-level option, Mid Hospital (Basic Plus) give you cover for the things you need, without the extra cost. The policy covers a wide range of services and has no exclusions. Instead, it provides restricted cover for some services, such as heart and vascular and pregnancy and birth. You can choose a $300 or $500 excess for this cover, to alter your premium.
- Basic Hospital (Basic Plus). With Basic Hospital (Basic Plus) cover, you can get treated by your choice of doctor in a public hospital (with a few services in a private hospital). This cover has a $300 excess.
|Benefit||Basic Hospital (Basic Plus)||Mid Hospital (Basic Plus)||Mid Classic (Silver Plus)||Top Hospital (Gold)|
|Assisted reproductive services|
|Back, neck and spine|
|Bone, joint and muscle|
|Brain and nervous system|
|Breast surgery (medically necessary)|
|Chemotherapy, radiotherapy and immunotherapy for cancer|
|Diabetes management (excluding insulin pump)|
|Dialysis for chronic kidney failure|
|Ear, nose and throat|
|Eye (not cataracts)|
|Heart and vascular system|
|Hernia and appendix|
|Hospital psychiatric services|
|Implantation of hearing devices|
|Kidney and bladder|
|Lung and chest|
|Male reproductive system|
|Miscarriage and termination of pregnancy|
|Pain management with device|
|Plastic and reconstructive surgery (medically needed)|
|Podiatric surgery (provided by a registered podiatric surgeon - limited benefits)|
|Pregnancy and birth|
|Tonsils, adenoids and grommets|
|Weight loss surgery|
|Private Hospital (Agreement private hospital and same day surgeries)|
|Choice of Agreement private hospital|
|Accommodation – shared and private room (where available)|
|Theatre fees, intensive care fees|
|Labour ward fees|
|Choice of doctor|
|Access Gap Cover|
|Government approved surgically implanted prostheses (some prostheses may have out-of-pocket expenses)|
|Private room (where available)|
|Theatre fees, intensive care fees|
|Labour ward fees|
|Excess (Basic Hospital)|
|Emergency Ambulance Transport|
|Exemption from Medicare levy surcharge|
You can take out an Extras policy on its own, or pair it up with a Hospital cover options – so you're covered for emergencies, and any extras too.
- Top Extras. UniHealth's top level of extras, you'll be covered for a range of services including dental, optical, hearing aids, chiropractic and osteopathy plus more.
- Essential Extras. Affordable cover to get some money back on a range of services, from preventative and general dental to optical, physiotherapy and massage therapy and more. You can pair Essential Extras with any of UniHealth's hospital covers – so you're covered for the not-so-everyday too.
The Starter Pak policy combines a big range of Hospital and Extras services – without a big price tag. And you won't need to pay excess if you end up in hospital.
Information on tiers
As part of the Federal Government's Private Health Insurance Reforms, all health funds are required to align their hospital products to new Standard Clinical Categories and Gold/Silver/Bronze/Basic product tiers.
Each Standard Clinical Category has a defined list of services that are covered. To fit the new structure, UniHealth has had to add or remove service.
Here's a snapshot of the changes:
- Where financially viable, UniHealth has increased some cover for services.
- In the case where premiums would be significantly impacted, UniHealth has decreased cover.
- They've reduced pressure on premiums by removing benefits for insulin pumps on lower levels of hospital cover – Basic Hospital (Basic Plus) and StarterPak (Basic Plus). Insulin pumps are only required to be covered on 'Gold' levels of cover.
- Each health insurance provider is required to include the new product tier in the name. As some of UniHealth's products exceed the minimum requirements for the 'Basic' and 'Silver' tiers, these products will be referred to as 'Basic Plus' and 'Silver Plus'.
In addition to the existing product range – Top Hospital (Gold), Mid Hospital (Basic Plus), Basic Hospital (Basic Plus) and StarterPak (Basic Plus) – they've introduced a new product, Mid Classic (Silver Plus).
Young people discount
Our StarterPak combined cover is designed to suit young people who want value for money health insurance, but don't want to pay for services that they may not use. It offers outstanding value and coverage for a range of Hospital and Extras services.
- QBE home and car insurance discounts. Members receive a multi-policy discount with QBE home and car insurance.
- New family program. Practical information and support for early parenting matters.
- Rehabilitation at home. Professional rehabilitation services in the comfort and privacy of your own home.
- Weight loss and management. Assistance in reaching and then maintaining your weight goals.
- Chronic disease management. Professional, evidence-based support and assistance for a range of chronic diseases.
- Diabetes management. Assistance for members with diabetes or pre-diabetes.
- Residential care support. Receive assistance in making well-informed decisions on residential aged care facilities.
- Hospital care at home. Early discharge and hospital care in your own home to help reduce the chance of hospital-acquired infections and to get home sooner.
- Mental Health Support. UniHealth members can get access to mental health support through the Mental Wellness program which can include phone sessions with a mental health professional and more.
- Healthy Lifestyle. You can get access to the following programs through the Healthy Lifestyle part of UniHealth Extras cover.
- CSIRO Total Wellbeing Diet
- Weight Watchers
- Jenny Craig
- Impromy Program
- 28 by Sam Woods
- Interval Weight Loss
- National Healthy Eating Activity and Lifestyle (HEAL) Program
How to make a claim
There are several ways you can lodge a health insurance extras claim with UniHealth:
- On the spot. Simply swipe your UniHealth membership card on the spot when you visit your healthcare provider to claim your benefit instantly.
- Via mobile app. The UniHealth member app makes it easy to submit extras claims by uploading a photo of your receipt. The app is available for Apple and Android devices.
- Online. You can lodge a claim for the following extras services through the UniHealth Online Member Services area: Acupuncture, chiropractic, complementary therapies, remedial massage, optical, physiotherapy and podiatry.
- By mail. You can download a claim form from the UniHealth website. Once the form has been completed, you can send it along with your invoice or receipt to UniHealth, GPO Box 9812, Sydney NSW 2001.
- In person. Completed claim forms and invoices or receipts can be lodged in person at a Member Care Centre located at a Teachers Health Centre.
- Via email. Finally, you can also send your completed claim form and invoice via email to email@example.com
If you receive a bill for hospital services from your doctor or specialist:
- If the doctor or specialist participates in UniHealth's Access Gap Cover scheme, the bill will be sent directly to UniHealth
- If the doctor or specialist does not participate in the Access Gap Cover scheme, you will need to take the bill to Medicare for processing before UniHealth can pay a benefit.
More guides on Finder
Best Australian EOFY sales 2021: Dyson, eBay + heaps more
Score big this end of financial year with 85% off homewares, 80% off fashion and 60% off tech.
Madison Beer and Vanessa Hudgens launch skincare brand Know Beauty
Know Beauty includes cleansers, moisturisers and serums rooted in DNA personalisation. Here's how you can get your hands on it.
2020 MG HS Review: First impression
MG has just launched their new HS SUV, which will replace the current GS.
Amazon Prime Day Australia 2021: 11 great deals you can still get
Forgot that Prime Day was on? Don't panic! Here are 11 unmissable deals you can still get today.
Amazon Prime Day: Best global store deals to shop before time runs out
Samsung, Hasbro, KitchenAid, Lenovo, Nautica - take advantage of these Prime Day deals before they disappear.
Barefoot Investor: How to watch Scott Pape’s Money Movement docu-series online
This fresh docu-series features the one and only Barefoot Investor.
How to buy SPDR S-and-P World ex Australia Hedged Fund units
Steps to owning and managing SPDR S and P World ex Australian (Hedged) Fund ETF units.
Amazon Prime Day Australia 2021: All the best deals from Day 2
Here are all the best deals from Amazon Prime Day Australia's second day - including the return of dirt-cheap Nintendo Switch consoles.
You might like these...
Ask an Expert