CBHS Health Fund
Offering four hospital and package cover policies, CBHS Health Fund is ideal for Commonwealth Bank Group staff of all ages.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
CBHS Health Fund ensures Commonwealth Bank Group current and former staff have access to affordable private health care. As well as their broad spectrum of policies on offer, CBHS gives its members attractive cash-saving offers, and discounts for young people.
Top 3 features
- Good for current and former employees of the Commonwealth Bank Group.
- Good for young people under 30 looking for a discount.
- Good for great member offers and benefits.
Who is CBHS Health Fund?
CBHS Health Fund is a private health insurance fund run exclusively for current and former staff of Commonwealth Bank Group and their subsidiaries which include Aussie, Bankwest, Colonial First State and more.
Founded in 1951, the Commonwealth Bank Health Society was created to ensure that CBA employees had access to affordable private health care. It's now one of the largest member-owned health funds in Australia with over 200,000 members.
What health insurance options are available?
- Basic Plus. Covers the basics and is designed to give you the choice of your own doctor when receiving treatment as a private patient in a shared room of a public hospital.
- Limited (Bronze Plus). A mid-level policy covering essential services. Designed to cover most eventualities with some restricted benefits on services and treatments for things you are less likely to need.
- Active (Silver Plus). A high-level of cover with exclusions for a small number of procedures to match your life stage.
- Comprehensive (Gold). A high-level of cover with exclusions for a small number of procedures to match your life stage.
- Essential. Basic extras cover for those who lead a healthy lifestyle and are looking for just the essentials at a friendly price.
- Intermediate. Mid-level extras cover providing benefits for popular services and treatments for every day health management.
- Top. Designed for those who are seeking security for a wide range of services, with attractive overall limits.
- FlexiSaver (Basic Plus). This entry-level hospital and extras policy offers cost-effective health insurance by excluding treatments most young and healthy people won't need. It covers preventative and surgical dental, joint reconstructions, accident cover, physiotherapy and optical.
- KickStart (Basic Plus). Designed as an affordable, basic package for the young and healthy, this policy covers the same essentials as the Flexisaver option, but with restricted benefits for services you're less likely to need. It also has a $70 daily co-payment option in hospital to keep premiums low.
- StepUp (Bronze Plus). CBHS's mid-level cover option combines the benefits of Limited (Bronze Plus) Hospital and Intermediate Extras cover.
- Prestige (Gold). This offers the highest level of cover available from CBHS and offers generous extras benefits including wellness benefits, access to the best doctors, access to chronic disease management programs and more.
CBHS members who hold any level of Hospital cover are automatically covered for emergency ambulance transport. CBHS Ambulance Cover will reimburse you for the costs of emergency ambulance transportation including medical emergency treatment at the scene. You are only covered if the transport or treatment is provided by a State Government ambulance service or a private ambulance service recognised by CBHS.
Cover is for emergency transportation and treatment only, such as a heart attack or stroke, not for routine and ongoing medical conditions. Residents of Western Australia holding a Hospital or Package product can also claim a benefit for non-emergency ambulance transport services up to a maximum of $5,000 per person per year.
Information on tiersSince 1 April 2019, each CBHS product is categorised into Gold, Silver, Bronze or Basic. Most CBHS products have moved seamlessly into the new government tiers and cover more services than the Government's minimum standards.
CBHS will also offer increased excess options under the changes. This will allow you to reduce premiums on certain health cover, with $750 excess for singles and $1500 excess for couples and families on selected health cover.
Young people discount
From 1st April 2019, CBHS Health Fund is offering age-based discounts on Hospital cover for young Australians (aged between 18 and 29).
The discount you receive on your hospital premium depends on your age when you first take out eligible Hospital cover. It ranges from 10% (if you take out cover before the age of 26) to 2% (if you take out cover at the age of 29).
The discount is ongoing, which means if you keep your eligible Hospital cover, your discount remains until you turn 41. From then, the discount will reduce by 2% per year until it reaches zero.
To be eligible you'll need your own policy or a policy with your partner. The age-based discount is not available for dependants on their parents' policy.
If those on a couple or family policy, the discount is calculated by taking an average of the discount applied to the adults on the Hospital cover.
Depending on the type of cover you choose, as a CBHS member you may also have access the following benefits:
- Health management program. Receive advice and support to help you reach your lifestyle and wellbeing goals.
- Best Doctors. This network gives members access to medical experts who can review your case.
- The Choice Network. This network of providers offers no gap services to members.
- Member discounts. CBHS members can enjoy discounted gym memberships, cheap eyewear and a range of other health discounts.
- Health care aids. CBHS offers benefits on artificial aids, hearing aids and health care appliances.
- Hospital in the home. This alternative to hospital treatments and rehab services allows you to stay at home in some cases.
How to make a claim
There are four ways you can lodge an extras claim with CBHS:
- On the spot. If your health care service provider supports HICAPS or iSOFT facilities, simply swipe your CBHS Health Fund membership card on the spot to have the benefit amount deducted from your total fee.
- Online. You can lodge your claim online by logging on to the CBHS Member Centre and uploading your receipt. Benefits for online claims are typically paid within 1-2 business days.
- Through an app. You can lodge a claim by uploading a photo of your receipt using the CBHS Health Fund mobile app, which is available from the App Store and Google Play.
- By filling out a claim form. You can download a claim form from the CBHS Health Fund website, complete it and return it to the fund along with your receipt or account. CBHS aims to pay benefits within five days of receiving your claim.
If you need to make a medical claim, a doctor who participates in an Access Gap Cover arrangement with the fund will bill CBHS directly. If your doctor doesn't participate in an Access Gap Cover agreement, you'll need to submit the claim to Medicare first before it is passed on to CBHS Health Fund.
More guides on Finder
Optical inclusion: Extras cover the top reason for taking out health insurance, survey finds
Extras cover is the number one drawcard for Australians who take out private health cover, new research from Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site, reveals.
Going up: 4.6 million health insurance customers are missing out on potential savings
Millions of Australians could be missing out saving money on their health insurance policy, according to Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site.
4.1 million Australians may cut ties with their health insurance provider in 2021
Millions of Australians are shopping around for cheaper health insurance in the new year, according to new research by Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site.
Health insurance for young adults
Find out how to get cheap health insurance for young people.
1 October price hike: Aussies urged to do a health check on their insurance
Finder research shows that Australians have just under one week to beat the health insurance price increase on 1 October.
Finder Awards 2020 Best Health Insurance – Bronze (Hospital)
Winner, finalists and methodology for Finder Awards 2020 Best Health Insurance - Bronze (Hospital).
Finder Awards 2020 Best Health Insurance – Silver (Hospital)
Winner, finalists and methodology for Finder Awards 2020 Best Health Insurance - Silver (Hospital).
Finder Awards 2020 Best Health Insurance – Gold (Hospital)
Winner, finalists and methodology for Finder Awards 2020 Best Health Insurance - Gold (Hospital).
Millions of Aussies will pay more for health insurance from October
Planned price hikes were paused in April due to COVID. Now, they're back on.
Tax time: One million Australians paying health cover penalty
Thousands of young Australians only have one week left to take out health insurance to avoid the Lifetime Health Cover Loading penalty, according to new research by Finder, Australia's most visited comparison site.
You might like these...
Ask an Expert