What you need to know
St.LukesHealth insurance is great for comprehensive hospital cover – it was runner up for its Gold Hospital cover at the 2023 Finder Awards.
St.LukesHealth insurance is good for a choice of low-to-high cost extras.
If you are after budget hospital cover, as this may not be the right provider for you.
Well done, St.LukesHealth
St.LukesHealth's Gold hospital policy is the 2023 Finder Award runner-up in our Gold category. It covers all 38 hospital treatments for less than almost every other health insurance policy on the market.
Full list of 2023 winners
With a proven track record of meeting the needs of its policyholders, and a focus on providing services that deliver better health
outcomes for its members, St.LukesHealth's top hospital and budget cover protects you when you need it most. Tasmanian Members Own Health Fund St.LukesHealth offers has a loyal membership base across all states and territories in Australia.
St.LukesHealth is a non-profit health fund that focuses on offering the products and services its members need. Founded in Tasmania in 1952, St.LukesHealth offers an extensive selection of hospital cover, extras cover and combined policies to meet the unique insurance needs of a variety of Australians. In 2016, 2017 and 2018 they were voted number one Australia-wide for customer satisfaction by Roy Morgan Research.
As a Members Own Health Fund, St.LukesHealth aims to offer its members cover at an affordable price. With cover for singles, couples and families, it has cover options to suit everyone from the young, fit and healthy who only want basic protection right through to families that want the highest level of cover available.
It offers comprehensive hospital cover, two levels of extras cover to suit various budgets, and four different packaged cover options to give all-round protection.
Joining St.LukesHealth can be done quickly and easily online. All you'll need to know in order to apply is your medicare number, bank account or credit card details and your previous health fund details.
- Vital Bronze +. This hospital policy covers more than what is required of a Bronze policy, including blood treatments, dental surgery and lung/chest surgery. It comes with your choice of a $500 or $750 excess.
- Young Silver +. This is basically a Silver policy with added cover for pregnancy and assisted reproductive services. You can choose an excess of either $250 or $500.
- No Obstetrics Silver +. This hospital cover is basically a Gold policy without cover for pregnancy, assisted reproductive services or weight loss surgery. You can choose an excess of $250 or $500.
- Superior Gold. This hospital policy fully covers all 38 clinical categories of hospital treatments with your choice of a $0, $300, $500, $750 or $1,000 excess.
- Super Extras. Super Extras is the top standalone extras cover option from St.LukesHealth. It offers gap-free preventative dental cover and also covers the cost of general and major dental, orthodontics, pharmacy, optical, chiro, osteopathy, acupuncture, natural therapies, clinical psychology, home nursing, health appliances and aids, audiology and more.
- Budget Extras. This entry-level policy offers a basic level of extras cover. It covers general dental, optical, physio, eye therapy, speech therapy, acupuncture and natural therapies.
What St.LukesHealth Combined Hospital and Extras Cover are available?
St. LukesHealth offers only top tier comprehensive Hospital and Extras Cover. Here are the combined policies they offer:
- Packaged Vital Bronze +. This package is simply the Vital Bronze+ policy above combined with a wide range of extras treatments including general dental, major dental, optical, a few therapies, home nursing, psychology and more. You can choose a $500 or $750 excess.
- Packaged Young Silver +. This is Young Silver + policy with extras cover that offers treatments for general dental, major dental, pharmacy, optical, a few therapies, psychology and audiology. You can choose an excess of $250 or $500.
- Packaged No Obstetrics Silver +. This is the No Obstetrics+ hospital policy with extras cover that includes general dental, major dental, psychology, a range of therapies, health appliances and a few more. You can choose an excess of $250 or $500.
- Packaged Superior Gold. This package includes a Gold policy plus a comprehensive range of extras benefits including general dental, major dental, optical, pharmacy, a range of therapies, psychology and more. You can choose an excess of $0, $300, $500 and $750. The $1000 excess is not available in the combined policy.
- Packaged Ultimate Gold. This is a Gold policy with the highest level of extras benefits you can get from St.LukesHealth. There is no excess.
As of April 1, 2019 all St.LukesHealth hospital products have been renamed under the product tiers specified by the government (Gold, Silver, Bronze and Basic).
St.LukesHealth's hospital policies have no restricted cover, and include cover for all 38 clinical categories, so each policy falls under the Gold tier.
St.LukesHealth gives several additional benefits to their members.
- Gap free preventative dental. Members can enjoy 100% cover for their dentist's regular service fee for preventative dental.
- Family cover. Your dependent children are covered up to 23 years of age under your policy, or up to 25 years of age if they are single and a full-time student.
- No excess for children. You won't have to pay an excess when a dependent child is admitted to hospital.
- Member Rewards. Members who have held St.LukesHealth top extras cover for five years or more receive a 5% increase in their dental benefits and annual dental limits.
- Australia-wide. St.LukesHealth offers cover to members Australia-wide and premium amounts are the same in every state.
- Optical discounts. Members can enjoy a range of optical and eyewear discounts thanks to St.LukesHealth's partnerships with Specsavers, Eyelines, OPSM and Total Eyecare.
- Insurance discount. Thanks to St.LukesHealth's partnership with MyState, members can enjoy a 10% discount on home and contents insurance. Also, members of Tasplan Superannuation Fund are eligible for a 5.0% discount
There are several options at your disposal when you need to make a claim with St.LukesHealth. Hospital claims and inpatient medical claims should be sent straight to St.LukesHealth by your provider, but when you need to make an extras claim you can choose from the following options:
- Swipe your St.LukesHealth at the provider to have your benefits automatically deducted from your health care bill.
- The St.LukesHealth Health mobile app allows you to enter your details, take a photo of your receipt and then submit your claim.
- St.LukesHealth also participates in the Health Industry Claims and Payment Service (HICAPS) as well as HICAPS Go.
- Visit a St.LukesHealth office or claims agent to have your benefit paid in person. You'll need to present your membership card.
- You can download the claim form from the health fund's website, fill it out and submit it by mail.
- In cases where you have already paid a provider, you can have your benefit payment deposited directly into your bank account.
Why compare health insurance with Finder?
We don't ask for your phone or email to see prices.
With 1 click, you can open your results to nearly every fund in Australia.
You pay the same price as going direct – we charge no fees.
Our health insurance engine is completely free to use. You pay the same as buying directly from the health insurer. Better still, we regularly run exclusive deals that you won't find on any other site.
Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by an insurer. That means our opinions are our own and you can compare nearly every health fund in Australia on the site (and find a better deal).
We're here to help
Since 2014, we've helped 350,000+ people find health insurance by explaining your options simply. We'll never ask for your number or email to see prices. We're here to help you make a decision.