Get $100 off your first year's premium when you buy online
We've rounded up all the current car insurance deals available on Finder below.
Plus, our insurance experts have put together a list of all the other ways you can save.
Car insurance deals currently available
Important note: Many of the discounts on this page, such as online signup discounts, are only available with comprehensive car insurance policies.
What kinds of car insurance discounts can I get?
No-claims bonus (NCB)
- The maximum discount is typically reached after five or six years.
- This discount is typically transferred across when switching car insurance policies, even if you change to a new insurer.
- Some insurers may have options to preserve your no-claims discount for a limited number of claims per year, or in situations such as no-fault claims, or for storm damage.
These are typically only available when you take out comprehensive car insurance. The largest discount you can typically get is up to 15% off.
Top savings tip: You usually only get the first 12 months discounted. After that, insurers often increase your premium significantly to make up for the discount. (For general car insurance, insurers are more or less able to set their prices as desired, and change them without notice.) You can dodge this though by contacting your insurer when prices go up to ask why or switching again.
Many of the bigger insurers, such as Youi, QBE and ahm, will give existing customers discounts on additional policies – for example, if you take out car and home insurance with one brand, you'll often get a discount of up to 15% off.
Restricted driver discounts
Raise your excess
How else can I lower my car insurance in Australia?
- Pay premiums annually if possible: Insurers will generally charge more overall if you pay premiums monthly instead of one annual payment.
- Nominate drivers: Specify exactly who is allowed to drive your car, and prevent anyone else from getting behind the wheel.
- Park safely: Many insurers will offer lower prices for a car that is kept in a garage rather than on the street.
- Drive less: Car insurers including Budget Direct, Qantas and QBE ask you how many km per year your car is driven. The less you drive, the cheaper prices tend to be.
- Get third party cover: Third party only car insurance or third party insurance with fire and theft cover is cheaper but be careful – it doesn't cover damage to your own car.
More guides on Finder
The best standing desk in Australia: Our top choice of the year
If you're looking for a standing desk for the home office, the Omnidesk Ascent is our #1 choice for 2023.
Fast NBN plans are now cheaper. Is it worth switching?
It's time to sort out your NBN plan for the new year.
Save $1,583 a year by using index funds instead of active trading | Dollar Saver tip #60
Invest in an index fund instead of actively trading stocks and you not only save on time and fees, you could be earning more in returns too.
5 perks you can score by upgrading your internet this year
SPONSORED: Upgrade your internet before the end of 2023 and get ahead on your life admin! We take a look at some of the benefits of a faster internet connection.
Aussies are struggling to save money, and Gen Z blame themselves
Young Australians cite overspending as the main reason for not reaching their financial goals.
Shein IPO: How to invest in the Shein IPO
What you need to know about investing in Shein from Australia.
Best places to exchange currency in Brisbane
Your guide to currency exchange in Brisbane, including how to get the best exchange rate.
Waiting for rates to fall? Don’t bank on it, says ANZ CEO
Addressing speculation that interest rates might fall in late-2024, ANZ CEO Shayne Elliott said he thought it was too optimistic.