Youi Caravan Insurance Review
With both temporary accomodation cover and emergency expenses cover of up to $1,000, Youi caravan insurance offers competitive limits for your caravan or trailer.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
A caravan or trailer is more than a house on wheels – it’s a home, as unique as the people who live in it. While most insurers will give you a policy, Youi works out which is the best for you. By going into the details of how you use your home away from home, Youi bases your cover on both your record and use of caravan or trailer.
- Pick from three caravan policies depending on the level of cover you're seeking and the amount of peace of mind you want.
- Flood cover is included with Youi's comprehensive policy. This wasn't the case for 7 other brands we looked at.
- Many comprehensive policies let you choose your own repairer after an accident, but Youi doesn't include this feature as standard.
Review by our travel insurance senior writer James Martin
Compare caravan insurance from Youi
What cover options does it offer?
Youi offers a range of insurance policies, but even its most basic cover will give you protection should you damage someone else’s property, and all policies include counselling services, as well as a traveller bonus if you are travelling to each state and territory. Here is what you can choose from:
- Third party property (TPP) is Youi’s simplest cover option. It will insure you against damaging someone else’s property or if your caravan or trailer is damaged by an uninsured driver.
- Third party fire and theft is TPP with the added protection against theft or fire, as well as covering the contents inside the caravan or trailer. Providing legal liability of $20 million, this policy gives you a mix between cover and value.
- Comprehensive covers all your bases. Be it accidental damage, natural damage from storms or floods, fire, theft or however else your camper might get damaged or cause damage to someone else’s property, comprehensive is the policy you want if you’re tired of worrying whether you’re covered or not.
How does each cover type compare?
|Benefits||Comprehensive||Third party, fire and theft||Third party property only|
|Storm or flood|
|Fire or theft|
|Emergency accommodation, transport and repairs|
|Locks and keys|
|Contents inside the caravan or trailer|
|Caravan park fees|
|Solar panels and TV antenna|
|Animal death or injury|
|Caravan contents upgrade|
|Burnout of electric motor|
What additional cover options are there?
On top of its extensive list of inclusions, Youi offers a few additional options for extra cover, including:
- Annex cover (extra cover if you keep your caravan parked in an annex)
- Caravan contents upgrade (insuring the total replacement value of your caravan’s contents)
- Burnout of your electric motor (replacing or repairing broken down or failed electric motors)
- Cover for business items (equipment, instruments and tools used in your trade or profession)
What exclusions are there?
As with all policies, there are exclusions you should be aware of, so be sure to read the fine print. General exclusions are:
- Cover for illegal property and counterfeit goods, or illegal or reckless use at the time of the accident
- Use for business or trade (unless covered by optional extras)
- Legal repossessions, fines or penalties
- Poor materials or workmanship (including asbestos)
- Wear and tear (including rust, rot or mould)
- Any event outside of Australia
- War or civil commotion (rioting and looting)
- Any damage or repairs prior to your policy
- Replacement of glass that had damage prior to your policy
- Loss of value or financial loss
- Improvements beyond the caravan or trailer’s original condition before the accident
- Unsecured contents in the caravan or trailer
- Any unregistered caravan or trailer
- Damage to roads due to normal use
- Damage from animals or vermin
What excess do I need to pay?
Whenever you make a claim, you’ll need to pay a basic excess. You may be given the option of choosing your payable excess, but this will then affect the cost of your premiums. Certain situations will require you to pay an additional excess; these will be outlined in your policy. If your caravan or trailer was being driven or towed by someone not on your policy, you will have to pay an additional excess.
How do I make a claim?
Youi simplifies the claim process with a single point of contact. If you need to make a claim you simply call up, and the person to answer you is the person who’ll see your claim through to satisfaction. It’s important to remember that each claim can only relate to one incident and that you must take all reasonable steps to minimise and prevent any loss or damage.
- You can make your claim online at youi.com.au/claiming
- To speak to Youi about starting a policy, call 13 9684
- For Roadside Assistance and Emergencies, call 131 117
Get the latest car insurance news
Drivers without roadside assistance cover are spending millions of dollars on call-out fees, according to new research by Finder.Read more…
Australian drivers are shelling out big bucks on parking fines each year according to new research by Finder.Read more…
More guides on Finder
Amazon Prime Day 2021: Don’t miss these deals on 21 June
Amazon Prime Day is returning to Australia in the first half of 2021. Here are six online deals you need to know about.
How to buy TitanSwap (TITAN) in Australia
This guide will show you step-by-step instructions on how to buy the TitanSwap (TITAN) token as well as a list of exchanges you can trade it on.
Canterbury Bulldogs vs St George Illawarra Dragons NRL: Start time and watch free
The one-win Bulldogs return after a bye, hopefully refreshed and ready to meet the Dragons.
NSW first home owners tax reform offers 25K grants
First home buyers in NSW could be given up to $25,000 towards their first home purchase – find out if you're eligible.
24 PlayStation 5 consoles are up for grabs this long weekend
eBay is giving away 24 PlayStation 5 prize packs this long weekend - here's how to enter.
Does anyone actually need Twitter Blue?
Here's everything included in Twitter Blue and how much it costs.
How to watch UFC 263 Adesanya vs Vettori 2 live in Australia
Undisputed champion Israel Adesanya is ready for his long-awaited rematch against Marvin Vettori in Arizona.
HBO Max Gossip Girl reboot: new trailer drops ahead of Australian broadcast
An updated version of Gossip Girl is coming our way – and it looks too good to miss.
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 50% off 4K TVs, $200 off Dyson vacuum cleaners, win $10,000 with Optus.
Paul Gallen vs Justis Huni: Fight time and how to watch live online
Undefeated heavyweight Justis Huni and former NRL star Paul Gallen are ready for battle as Termination Day approaches.