Australian Caravan Insurance
Comprehensive cover for caravans, campervans, cabins, trailers and horse floats.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Whether you’re planning a caravanning lap of Australia or just buying a caravan to enjoy short weekends away, it’s essential to insure your new home away from home. Australian Caravan Insurance is a specialist provider of comprehensive insurance cover for caravans, campervans, trailers, horse floats and more.
Australian Caravan Insurance is a trading brand of NM Insurance Pty Ltd, an insurance agency that operates throughout Australia and New Zealand. Its policies are underwritten by AIG Australia.
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the Australian Caravan website or compare a bunch of other caravan insurance companies with finder.
Compare caravan insurance from Australian Caravan Insurance
What policies does Australian Caravan Insurance offer?
Australian Caravan Insurance offers its comprehensive caravan insurance policy to Australian caravan owners. This policy provides cover for loss or damage to your caravan caused by accident, fire, flood, hail, malicious damage, storm, theft and more. It also includes cover for machine or appliance motor burnout, emergency repairs, temporary accommodation if you’re more than 100km from home or in your usual home and cover for the contents of your caravan.
You can tailor the policy to cover your caravan in a wide variety of circumstances, such as if it is located permanently on-site in a commercially operated caravan park or if you want lay-up cover to reduce premiums during the months you don’t use your van.
What does Australian Caravan Insurance cover?
Comprehensive caravan insurance from Australian Caravan Insurance includes the following benefits:
- Replacement of your caravan in the first two years of original registration or date of purchase (in the case of a total loss)
- $2,000 contents cover
- Premium discounts during the months when you don’t use your caravan
- Flood cover
- Machine or appliance motor burnout cover
- Emergency repairs
- Can be tailored to suit permanent on-site caravans and horse floats
- $20 million legal liability cover
- No-claim bonus available
- Optional annexe cover
- Optional hire-out cover
- 24/7 claims service
Are there any optional covers?
You can also add the following optional extras to your policy:
- Permanent on-site caravans. This optional benefit includes cover for removal of debris and cover for garden sheds.
- Hire out cover. By selecting this option, you’ll still be covered if you choose to hire out your caravan to someone else.
- Road, rail and sea transport. This option covers your caravan and its contents while they are being transported by road (other than by being towed), rail or sea.
- Horse float. With this option, you can extend the policy to cover a horse float.
- Lay-up cover. This option entitles you to a premium discount of 2.5% per month during a selected period when your caravan is not in use.
What isn’t covered?
Your Australian Caravan Insurance policy does not cover the following situations and events:
- Loss, accident or liability that occurs outside Australia
- Claims that arise in connection with your caravan being used for anything other than private purposes
- Loss, accident or liability intentionally caused by you or by someone acting with your consent
- Loss caused by flood, cyclone or bushfire in the first 72 hours of cover
- Loss caused by actions or movements of the sea
- Loss caused by inherent defect, wear and tear or lack of maintenance
- Loss caused by the action of trees or their roots
- Loss caused by mildew or rot
- Loss caused by insects, moths, termites, vermin, birds and bats
- Loss caused by your caravan being towed while unregistered or by an unregistered vehicle
- Loss caused by your caravan being towed in contravention of any law
- Loss caused by your caravan being towed by anyone under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Loss caused by your caravan being towed by an unlicensed driver
- Loss caused by your caravan being towed while in an unsafe or unroadworthy condition
- Loss caused by your caravan being converted or modified by someone other than the manufacturer (except where noted on your policy schedule)
Check the product disclosure statement for a full list of general exclusions that apply.
What excess is charged?
When you make a claim on your Australian Caravan Insurance policy, you’ll need to pay an excess to contribute towards the cost of the claim. The following excesses apply:
- Basic excess. You must pay this on each claim.
- Age excess (16-20 year old driver). This excess is payable on claims when the person driving the vehicle at the time of the loss is aged 16 to 20 years old.
- Age excess (21-24 year old driver). This excess is payable on claims when the person driving the vehicle at the time of the loss is aged 21 to 24 years old
- Inexperienced driver excess. This excess is payable on claims when the person towing your caravan is over the age of 25 but hasn’t held their licence for at least 2 years.
- Off road excess. You’ll need to pay this excess for claims that arise while your caravan is being driven on any dirt road, unsealed road or beach.
- Transit excess. This excess is payable if you select optional road, rail and sea transport cover and must be paid in addition to the basic excess for any loss to your caravan while it is being transported by road (other than by towing), rail or sea.
- Hire out excess. If you select optional hire out cover as part of your policy, you need to pay this excess for every claim while your caravan is hired out by another party.
- Additional risk excess. This additional excess may be imposed based on your driving history or previous claims experience. If included on your policy, you will need to pay this excess for every claim you make.
How do I make a claim?
If you need to make a claim, you can do so by contacting NM Insurance’s 24/7 priority claims number on 1300 940 767. You can also find a downloadable claim form online at the Australian Caravan Insurance website or submit your claim directly through the web portal.
You’ll need to provide any proof the insurer requests in order to process your claim. This may include police reports, written statements and receipts.
Some final questions you might have
More guides on Finder
How to invest in the Allup Silica IPO
Everything we know about the Allup Silica IPO, plus information on how to buy in.
The best products to achieve the clean beauty look
From where the no-makeup makeup look meets the model off duty vibe, we've put together a range of no-fuss products you'll love.
Where to watch Moulin Rouge! online in Australia
Every man wanted her – 1 man dared to love her.
How to watch Man United vs Arsenal Premier League live and match preview
Manchester United are scrambling to stay in touch with the top 4 as they host Arsenal this week
12-day advent calendars you can still get before Christmas
From toys to socks to beauty items, these are the top 12-day advent calendars you can still enjoy in the lead up to Christmas.
McDonald’s (MCD) share price, company profile and news
Steps to owning and managing McDonald's shares from in Australia.
Reputation & Christmas parties: Why I won’t be having a festive celebration this year
Reputation + Christmas parties: could it be the potential volcano erupting leaving rands, families and individuals to deal with the fallout?
Pay-as-you-groan: On-demand insurance that pays you $2K for a broken arm
Insurtech Flip has shaken up the insurance industry by launching the first on-demand injury cover in the country.
How to invest in the Qualitas Limited IPO
Everything we know about the Qualitas Limited IPO, plus information on how to buy in.
Ask an Expert