RACQ Caravan Insurance
Cover your caravan, trailer, horse float or box trailer with caravan insurance from RACQ
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
Caravan Insurance is protection for your caravan from loss or damage caused by events such as accident, storm, impact, vandalism, fire and theft. It also provides you with liability protection for third party injury and property damage caused by the use of your caravan.
With a background in roadside assistance, RACQ provides Caravan Comprehensive Insurance to thousands of members across Queensland and Northern New South Wales. RACQ is a mutual company with a focus on member benefits and its insurance products are underwritten by its wholly-owned subsidiary, RACQ Insurance Limited.
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the RACQ website or compare a bunch of other caravan insurance companies with finder.
Compare caravan insurance from RACQ
What policies are available from RACQ
RACQ provides a single all-purpose level of cover for caravan owners known as Caravan Comprehensive Insurance. This covers you for loss or damage to your caravan caused by a range of specified incidents and also provides up to $20 million of third party liability cover.
Whether you have a caravan, trailer, horse float or box trailer, you’re covered with RACQ Caravan Comprehensive Insurance, which also includes access to 24/7 emergency assistance from Aussie Assist if you become ill or injured more than 100km from home.
What will the policy cover?
RACQ Caravan Comprehensive Insurance provides comprehensive cover for your caravan that includes;
- Damage caused by a collision, weather event, fire, malicious act, theft or attempted theft.
- Up to $20 million liability cover if your caravan causes damage to other people’s property.
- Choice of repairer and a lifetime repair guarantee on selected repairers.
- Temporary accommodation costs for you and your family for up to seven days if your caravan is deemed unliveable.
- Up to $500 for loss or damage to valuables as a result of an incident or theft.
- 14 days cover for your new caravan if you sell it or replace it with a similar type.
- Up to $500 for emergency repairs after an incident to make your caravan or trailer roadworthy until you can make a claim.
- Up to $500 for ground transport costs if you are 100km or more from home and the vehicle towing your caravan or trailer is not driveable as the result of an incident.
- Up to $7,500 if you or a family member dies from an injury sustained during an incident.
- Up to $100 a day for towing and storage after an accident or theft, for up to 30 days.
- Up to $500 for damage or loss of tools and accessories not fitted by the manufacturer as a result of an event, accident or theft.
What won't be covered?
General exclusions that apply to RACQ Caravan Insurance where a benefit will not be paid include;
- Use outside Australia
- Use for any purpose other than private, social, domestic or pleasure
- If your caravan forms part of someone’s stock in trade
- Use for a motor trade experiment, test, trial or demonstration
- If your caravan is hired or rented to someone
- Carrying or towing a heavier load or accommodating more people than your caravan is designed for or is allowed by law
- Use in an unlawful way or for an unlawful purpose
- Carrying or towing nuclear material or waste
- Transporting dangerous goods in an unlicensed, illegal or dangerous manner
- If an onboard computer program or electronic system fails to process any form of data including day or date functions properly and accurately
- If your caravan is confiscated, nationalised, requisitioned or repossessed
- Any deliberate act by you or anyone else with permission to use your caravan
- If you are under the influence of non-prescription drugs or alcohol above the legal limit
- If you leave the scene of an incident before police arrive
- If you are not licenced to drive the vehicle towing your caravan or don’t comply with any condition of your driver’s licence
- If you fail to prevent further loss or damage to your caravan after an incident
- If an incident results from a non-compliant gas bottle
- The use, existence or escape of nuclear weapons material
- Radiation or radioactive contamination from nuclear fuel, nuclear waste or the action of nuclear fission
- Using your car or caravan in an unroadworthy or unsafe condition
- Failing to take reasonable precautions for the safety and security
- Any act of terrorism which involves biological, chemical or nuclear weapons or devices
- Germ, disease, pollution or contamination associated with an act of terrorism
- Revolution, civil disturbance or war (whether declared or not).
How much does RACQ Caravan Insurance cost?
A range of factors are considered when calculating the cost of your RACQ Caravan Comprehensive Insurance including;
- Accessories and modifications - accessories may attract thieves and modifications can affect your caravan’s performance, handling and braking.
- Address and location – whether your caravan is kept on the road or in a garage and whether the area you live in has a high number of claims, including theft or malicious damage claims.
- Caravan type - the make and model of your caravan, the cost for parts or repairs and its general performance, handling and safety record can affect the risk of a claim.
- Your claims history - whether you have made claims in the past.
- Any optional benefits you choose – these will increase the cost of your premium.
- Any discounts you are eligible for - no claim bonus, multiple policy or loyalty discounts can all reduce the cost of your premium.
RACQ Caravan Insurance excess
- Basic excess – this applies to all claims (except for not at fault claims).
- Additional excess - an additional excess may apply in some situations or based on the type or specification of your caravan.
Making a claim
If you need to make a claim under your RACQ Caravan Comprehensive Insurance policy, simply call RACQ on 13 72 02 or visit an RACQ store. In most cases, RACQ will lodge your claim for you, without you needing to fill out a claim form.
When making a claim, be sure to follow these steps;
- Tell RACQ about the incident and lodge your claim as soon as possible.
- Make sure you get the name, address and phone number of each person involved in the incident and the make, model and registration details of any vehicles involved.
- If a criminal act has caused the loss or damage, report it to the police immediately and make sure you have the police officer’s name and incident number when you lodge your claim.
- Do everything you reasonably can to limit any further loss or damage to your caravan.
Some other questions you may have
RACQ Caravan Comprehensive Insurance gives you peace of mind knowing your caravan and contents are covered wherever you travel in Australia. And belonging to Queensland’s largest club provides the added assurance of 24/7 assistance if you need it.
More guides on Finder
Mercedes-Benz C-Class review
If you're looking for a premium, luxury or performance mid-size sedan, the C-Class has to be on your shortlist.
Plenti Car Loan
Plenti car loans offer competitive, personalised interest rates, as well as the choice to have your loan secured or unsecured. Find out more about Plenti's car loans here.
Plenti Personal Loans
Looking for a competitive rate? Plenti offers loans funded by investors with rates that are tailored to your personal circumstances.
Driva Caravan Loans
Want to compare caravan loans, but don't know where to start? Driva is a licensed Aussie broker specialising in loans for a range of vehicles. Visit Driva and compare caravan loans today.
loans.com.au green car loan
If you're thinking of upgrading to a more energy efficient vehicle, you can apply for a loans.com.au green car loan today. Receive a competitive rate and a limited-time special offer.
Jump Payments car loans
If you're looking to buy a new car and don't know where to start when it comes to finance, Jump Payments could help you to find the right car loan for your circumstances.
DBS Finance Boat Loan
If you're looking to buy a boat, DBS Finance could help. With over 20 reputable partnered lenders, specialist brokers and pre-approval, you could be sailing away before you know it.
DBS Finance Caravan Loan
Looking for the perfect caravan to explore Australia? DBS Finance may be able to help. With 20+ partnered reputable lenders, it might be able to find the right loan for you.
Kia Cerato car loans
Learn about Kia Cerato car loans, pricing and specs.
Ford Ranger car loans
Here's how little the Ford Ranger could cost you on finance.
Ask an Expert