APIA Caravan Insurance
APIA could give you protection for your mobile home. Find out if it’s right for you.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
We treasure our cars for the convenience they provide and without our homes, we’d have nowhere to sleep and eat, and nowhere to return to at the end of the day. We work hard to protect both of them, so it makes sense to extend the same care to our caravans.
Your caravan is your home away from home, and carries the same risk your car does when on the road. With APIA caravan or trailer insurance, there’s no need to worry about a bad fate befalling it.
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the APIA website or compare a bunch of other caravan insurance companies with finder.
Compare caravan insurance from APIA
What cover options does it have?
APIA offers two types of main insurance: comprehensive caravan insurance or trailer or animal transport float insurance. Both options provide legal liability of up to $20 million.
In addition, you can choose to cover your caravan Australia-wide or on-site. In the second case, the insured caravan will only be covered when at a nominated, secure single address somewhere in Australia, and will bring cheaper premiums.
How does each cover type compare?
|Feature||Caravan cover (Australia-wide)||Caravan cover (on-site)||Trailer or animal float|
|New caravan after total loss|
|Veterinary expenses for animals struck by vehicle (up to $500)|
|Motor burnout cover|
|Towing and storage|
What additional cover options are there?
In addition to the main insurance options above, APIA offers a number of optional extra covers. Apart from comprehensive caravan or trailer insurance, you can pick from any or all of the following for an increased premium:
- Annexe cover. APIA will cover the entire cost of your annexe in the case of accidental loss or damage.
- Contents cover. APIA’s default comprehensive insurance does not cover any contents of your caravan or trailer that may be lost or damaged. With this option, you can protect your belongings when they’re securely locked in your caravan, trailer or on-site garden shed.
- Hire use cover. Normally, hiring out your caravan for someone else’s use will void cover for the period of use. With this option, you can hire out your caravan and still be covered.
What exclusions are there?
If you’re thinking of buying insurance, be aware that there are a number of general situations where you will not be covered. APIA will not compensate you for damage or loss arising:
- From failure to take care of your caravan. Mold, rot, rust and corrosion can set in if you’re not careful. If you don’t perform regular maintenance on your vehicle and it stops working right, you won’t be covered.
- From routine breakdowns. If there’s a fault or defect in your caravan or it suffers a mechanical or electrical failure, you won’t be able to claim.
- When the law is being broken. If you or someone you’ve authorised to drive your caravan is breaking a rule or regulation, you might be fresh out of luck.
- When it’s being used incorrectly. This applies if you’re driving your caravan in a way it’s not meant to be driven or while it’s overloaded. It also applies if it’s being driven under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or if whoever’s behind the wheel doesn’t have a licence.
- While it’s hired out. Unless you’ve taken out the optional hire cover, that is.
- While outside Australia. If you get into an accident while overseas (or somewhere other than the recorded address for on-site insurance), you won’t be compensated.
What excess do I need to pay?
One or both of the following excesses may apply when lodging a claim. These are:
- Standard excess. This excess applies when any claim is made.
- Inexperienced driver excess. This applies if the person driving is under 26 or over 25 without having held a driver’s licence for at least 2 years.
The only situation where an excess will not apply is when you are not at fault and you can provide the full contact details and registration number of the party and vehicle at fault.
How do I make a claim?
APIA provides detailed step-by-step instructions for making a claim in the event of an incident.
- Make sure everyone is safe.
- Prevent further damage. Move your caravan off the road if necessary, or put on the hazard lights.
- Report theft or other crimes to the authorities. When reporting the incident, record the time, date, report number and the name of the recording officer.
- Collect details. Get the names, addresses and contact numbers of anyone involved in the incident, and don’t admit fault.
- Contact APIA immediately on 13 50 50. Have all the details on hand and arrange towing so that you can get a repair quote as soon as possible. You can also lodge a claim online at https://online.apia.com.au/mac/apia or by using the Suncorp app.
More guides on Finder
Best carpet shampooers in Australia
We compared hundreds of customer reviews and found the five best carpet shampooers you can buy online in Australia.
Best moisturiser for dry skin in Australia
From the best overall face moisturiser for dry skin to the best body moisturiser, hand moisturiser and tinted moisturiser for dry skin, these are the best 7 moisturisers for dry skin you can buy in Australia right now.
From costs and finance options to what materials you’ll need, learn about bathroom renovations in this comprehensive guide.
Fast and furious: 73% of Aussies have fallen victim to a road rage incident
Engines aren’t the only thing overheating on the roads this summer – our tempers are too, according to new research by Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site.
Campervan hire in Broome | Where to book, what to know
Plan your epic road trip around WA with our guide to campervan hire in Broome.
HDMI 2.1 explained: TV and gaming with PS5 and Xbox Series X
Here's everything you need to know about HDMI 2.1
How to start a YouTube channel
Read the key points of starting a YouTube channel, including the equipment you'll need and the legal considerations to keep in mind.
Treadmill removal services
Here’s how you can ensure your treadmill is moved safely and at a convenient time.
Best hiking tents in Australia
These are the seven best hiking tents you can buy right now in Australia.
Campervan hire in Darwin | Where to book, what to know
Get out and explore the Top End with our guide to campervan hire in Darwin.