Real Home Insurance

Real Home Insurance – If you're in the market for home insurance, compare Real policies and reviews

Real Home Insurance provides real cover for your home and contents for both landlord's and home owners. Real Home Insurance offers flexible options, to provide tailorable cover at an affordable price. Real Home Insurance benefits include:

  • 20% if you buy combined home and contents Real Home Insurance online
  • Optional extras such as Motor Burnout
  • Flexible payment options. does not currently have access to this home insurance brand. You may wish to compare options available on the home insurance homepage.

Real Home Insurance Cover Options

Real Top Contents Insurance

Real Top Contents Insurance covers you against all the same risks as the Essential Contents policy, but it offers higher benefit limits across the board. Accidental damage cover is included at no extra charge, while new for old replacement is offered on most contents. Contents in your home office and contents outside the home are also covered.

This policy is Real Home Insurance’s comprehensive contents cover option, offering a higher level of benefits than an Essential Contents policy. Insured events include:

  • Fire
  • Theft
  • Storm
  • Vandalism
  • Impact damage
  • Accidental damage to your contents is also covered
  • New for old replacement is offered on most items.

Real Top Home and Contents Insurance

This policy offers comprehensive protection for your home and your contents. Not only does it offer higher benefit limits than the Essential policy, but it also covers a broader range of events. Accidental damage to your home is included in cover, as is new for old replacement on most of your contents.
Providing protection against all the same risks as the Essential Home & Contents policy, this option provides higher limits and broader coverage, including:

  • Accidental damage cover and transit cover for your contents
  • Optional electrical motor burnout cover
  • Optional portable valuables cover.

Real Essential Contents Insurance

This is Real Insurance’s basic policy to cover your contents against loss or damage. It provides protection against theft, fire, lightning, storms, impact, vandalism, bursting of water and an extensive selection of other insured events. Accidental glass breakage cover is included for mirrors and fixed glass on furniture, while new for old replacement is offered on most items. Essential Contents Insurance is designed to be affordable for customers on a wide range of budgets.
This entry-level policy offers affordable contents cove that covers:

  • Fire
  • Storm
  • Impact
  • Explosion
  • Theft
  • Vandalism
  • Earthquakes
  • Bursting of water pipes
  • Flood
  • Accidental breakage
  • Lightning are all covered
  • Cover is available for your expensive valuables
  • Optional cover for items away from the insured address.

Real Essential Home and Contents Insurance

Real’s Essential Home and Contents Insurance policy offers affordable protection for your building and your possessions. It covers fire, storm, theft and vandalism, impact damage, earthquake, explosion and much more. Accidental glass breakage cover for windows, shower screens, toilets and the like is also included.
This policy offers a basic, affordable level of protection for your home and its contents.

  • Fire
  • Theft
  • Storm
  • Lightning
  • Bursting of water
  • Impact
  • Malicious damage
  • Accidental glass breakage
  • Emergency accommodation costs
  • Contents of your home office.

Real Home Insurance Landlord's Insurance

Landlord’s Insurance from Real Insurance provides coverage for loss or damage caused by a wide range of natural disasters and other events, including fire, storm, theft and more. However, it also includes added protection for landlords, such as theft and vandalism by tenants, as well as loss of rent if tenants are unable to live in your property following an insured event.
This policy provides protection for the home you own against all the usual events included in a home insurance policy, including:

  • Fire
  • Storm
  • Bursting of water
  • Lightning
  • Impact
  • Explosion
  • Tenant vandalism or theft.
BenefitsTop CoverEssential CoverLandlord's Cover
14 day money-back guaranteeyesyesyes
24/7 emergency claimsyesyesyes
Accidental breakage of glassyesyesyes
Accidental damage to your insured home or contentsyesnono
Choose your level of excess to keep premiums lowyesyesyes
Contents in your home officeyesyesno
Contents outside your homeyesyesyes
Cover for contents in approved storageyesyesno
Emergency accommodationyesyesno
Legal liabilityyesyesyes
New for old replacementyesyesyes
Pay by the month at no extra costyesyesyes
Replace items and repair damage caused by a fire or explosionyesyesyes
Replace items and repair damage caused by earthquake, lightning, storm and rainwateryesyesyes
Replace items and repair damage caused by the bursting, leaking, discharging or overflow of wateryesyesyes
Replace items and repair damage caused by the bursting, leaking, discharging or overflow of wateryesyesyes
Replace items and repair damage caused malicious damage, impact, riots, civil commotion or industrial unrestyesyesyes
Replacement of insured items stolen from inside your homeyesyesyes
Replacement of locksyesyesno
Save up to 20% when you buy onlineyesyesno
Back to top

What kind of general exclusions apply to Real policies?

Your Real Home Insurance claim will not be paid if:

  • It is for bushfire, storm, rainwater or flood damage or loss that occurs within the first 72 hours of cover
  • It results from your home being unoccupied for more than 60 consecutive days, unless you have informed Real of this and they have agreed to provide cover
  • It is caused by actions of the sea, including tidal waves, tsunamis and high tides
  • It is for gradual deterioration such as wear and tear, rust, rot, mould, mildew etc
  • It is for inherent defects, structural faults or faulty workmanship or design
  • It is caused by your failure to maintain your property in good condition
  • It is caused by insects, birds, wildlife or vermin
  • It is caused by any earth movement not caused by earthquake, including erosion, landslide and subsidence
  • It is for removing any tree stump from the ground or for trees which have fallen but which have not damaged your home
  • It results from tree roots, tree lopping or tree felling
  • It is caused by a deliberate action by you, someone else living at the site, or people who have entered the site with your consent
  • It is for corruption to electronic files, data or software
  • It is for the mechanical, electrical or electronic failure of an item
  • It is for accidental damage caused by building work, including renovations
  • It is for damage to swimming pools and spas caused by hydrostatic pressure
  • It is for consequential loss of any kind
  • It is for loss or damage by an animal kept by you
  • It results from an unlawful act or omission by you, or by someone acting with your consent
  • It is caused by the lawful seizure, repossession or confiscation of anything.

Also keep in mind that there are fixed claim limits in place for some items of contents, for example a $1,000 limit for bicycles under Essential Contents cover. Some other items of contents have flexible limits, such as your valuables and collectibles.

Back to top

Any way I can save some money?

Cost is always an important factor when you’re shopping for insurance, and there are several factors that can influence the price of your Real Home Insurance premiums.

  • Buy online. You can enjoy a 20% saving when you buy your Real Home Insurance policy online.
  • Choose a lower level of cover. The higher the level of cover you choose, the more you will obviously have to pay for it. For example, while Top Home and Contents Insurance costs from $2.19 per day, Essential Home and Contents cover starts from just $1.69 per day.
  • Multi-policy discount. If you take out more than one home, contents, car or landlord’s policy with Real Insurance, you can receive a discount of up to 10%.
  • Choose a higher excess. If you’re not worried about paying a higher excess when you make a claim, you can increase your excess amount in return for lower premium prices.

However, please note that if you choose to pay your premiums by the month, this will not increase the cost of your cover.

Back to top

How does Real Home Insurance excess work?

When you make a claim on your Real Home Insurance policy, the excess is the amount you need to pay for each insured incident. Depending on your policy and your individual circumstances, a number of excesses may apply to your cover. For example, a fixed excess of $100 applies to claims made under the optional cover for electrical motor burnout or portable valuables. In addition, a $500 excess applies to claims of earthquake and flood.

However, for other claims you are able to select the excess you pay, and the level of this excess is reflected in the price of your premiums.

Back to top

How do I go about making a claim?

If an incident occurs that may lead to a claim, make sure to take all reasonable steps to prevent any further loss or damage. Next, call Real Insurance’s claims team on to report the incident, making sure to provide as much detail as possible about what happened. Of course, if the incident involves theft, vandalism or malicious acts, you’ll also have to report it to the police as soon as possible.

If Real Insurance requests any further information or documentation to support your claim, it is your responsibility to provide this in a prompt manner. This may include police incident report numbers, proof of ownership, photographic evidence, court notices and more.

Back to top

Frequently asked questions about Real

Q. Can I change my excess amount? 

  • A. Yes, you can increase the excess on your Real home and contents policy at any time. However, you can only decrease your excess amount when you renew your policy.

Q. When do I pay my premium? 

  • A. You can pay your Real home insurance premiums monthly or annually, allowing you to choose a payment schedule that suits your budget.

Q. What information does Real Insurance need to know about my home?

  • A. Real will need to know where your building is located and how old it is, as well as what materials were used in its construction and roofing. Any security measures you have installed will also be taken into account.

Q. Is accidental damage cover included? 

  • A. If you have a Top Home and Contents Insurance policy, accidental damage cover is included as part of your policy.

Q. How do I know the excess I will have to pay when I make a claim?

  • A. Any excesses that apply to your Real home and contents insurance will be displayed on your certificate of insurance.

Reading to compare policies?

If you want comprehensive insurance cover for your home and contents, consider the policy options offered by Real Home Insurance. However, as always, remember that it’s important to weigh the pros and cons of multiple policies from competing insurers to find the right cover for you.

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, read the PDS or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.
Ask a question