Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own.

Landlord building insurance

Compare landlord insurance policies and get covered for natural disasters, tenant damage and more.

What you need to know

  • Landlord building insurance protects your rental property if it is damaged or destroyed.
  • You probably need landlord building insurance if you do not own a unit and want financial security.
  • It can cover unexpected damage, tenant damage, legal fees and more.

Compare landlord building insurance today

Name Product Tenant Default and Damage Loss of Rent Accidental Damage Sum Insured Safeguard Cooling-off Period Cheapest way to pay
Youi Landlord Building Insurance


10% of the buildings sum insured
20 days
Budget Direct Landlord Building Insurance


10% of the sum insured amount of your property
21 days
Save 15% on your first year's premium when you buy a home only policy online. T&Cs apply.
QBE Landlord Home Insurance
The lesser of: Up to 24 months of lost rent, or 20% of your sum insured amount
21 days
Save 10% on your Landlord Building Insurance policy in the first year for signing up online. T&Cs apply.
Seniors Landlords Building Insurance
The lesser of: 12 months rent, or 10% of your building sum insured, or the lost rent
14 days
Save 5% when you buy a combined building and contents policy. The discount will apply to the first 12 months of your Seniors Landlords Insurance policy. The discount will be reapplied for 12 months each time your Seniors Landlords Insurance policy is renewed. T&Cs apply.
Qantas Landlord Building Insurance


10% of your home sum insured
21 days
Earn up to 30,000 Qantas Points with every Qantas Landlord Insurance policy you take out by 30 September. T&Cs and exclusions apply.

What is landlord building insurance?

Landlord building cover protects the physical structure of your property if it's damaged by an insured event like a natural disaster, fire or your tenant. The following is all considered "the building":


The building itself (e.g. bricks and mortar)

plumbing systems

Electrical cables and plumbing system

Swimming pool

Other permanent structures (e.g. built-in swimming pools and air conditioning)

If you have a furnished or partially furnished property, then you should also consider getting landlord contents insurance. This covers the items you own and keep at your rental.

Do I need landlord building insurance?

Yes, if

  • You want a financial safeguard for your investment property.
  • You live in an area where natural disasters are common.
  • You rely on your property to earn an income.

Possibly not, if

  • You own a unit in an apartment block since your strata levies should cover the building insurance.

What is covered in landlord building insurance?


Damage from unexpected events

This includes damage from fires (including bushfires) storms, rainwater, floods, escaped water and lightning. Building cover also commonly includes mortgage discharge costs.

damage by tenants

Damage caused by tenants

This includes damage caused by visitors, pets and unknown persons. This can protect your property against accidental loss or damage, tenant damage and vandalism or theft.

Money loss

Loss of rent

If your building is damaged by an insured event and becomes uninhabitable, landlord building insurance can cover your loss of rent for a specific time – often up to a year. It can also cover rent default (if your tenant is unexpectedly unable to pay you rent).

Legal fees

Legal fees

Commonly referred to as legal liability, this covers you for death or bodily injury to other people as well as for damage to other people's property, usually up to $20 or $30 million.

What's excluded from cover?

Landlord contents insurance doesn't cover the following:

  • Regular maintenance
  • A poorly maintained property
  • Contents (e.g. the items you keep at the property)
  • Mould (unless the mould was covered by an insured event)
  • Roots of trees, shrubs and plants
  • Building defects
  • Wear and tear
  • Damage caused by vermin, insects or rodents
  • Damage caused by ground movement
  • Damage caused by movement of the sea
  • Damage caused by a power surge
  • Damage related to war

Insurers are unlikely to cover you for bushfires, storms, floods or tsunamis in the first 72 hours of your policy.

Gary Ross Hunter's headshot
Editor, Insurance & Innovations

Gary Ross Hunter was an editor at Finder, specialising in insurance. He’s been writing about life, travel, home, car, pet and health insurance for over 6 years and regularly appears as an insurance expert in publications including The Sydney Morning Herald, The Guardian and Gary holds a Kaplan Tier 2 General Advice General Insurance certification which meets the requirements of ASIC Regulatory Guide 146 (RG146). See full bio

Gary Ross's expertise
Gary Ross has written 730 Finder guides across topics including:
  • Health, home, life, car, pet and travel insurance
  • Managing the cost of living

More guides on Finder

Ask a question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms Of Service and Finder Group Privacy & Cookies Policy.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Go to site