Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own.

CGU Landlord Insurance Review

Here’s your CGU landlord insurance review so you can find out if it's got a policy for you.

No reviews yet. Write a review

CGU has been around for more than 165 years as part of Australia's largest insurance parent, Insurance Australia Group (IAG). It provides all kinds of insurance, including CGU landlord insurance.

CGU landlord insurance policies

CGU offers a few different types of landlord insurance policies tailored to different property owners' needs.

Building and contents
This covers residential buildings including outbuildings such as a garage and shed, swimming pools and your belongings like white goods, carpets and more. If something happens, for example, a fire, accidental breakage or even damage caused by your tenant's pets, a CGU building and contents policy can reimburse you for the costs.

Contents cover
This is probably best suited to landlords whose building is already insured by strata. It can cover you for loss or damage to the items you have at the property including swimming pools and spas (that aren't built-in) carpets, rugs, curtains, blinds, white goods and more.

Buildings coverIf your property is unfurnished, then buildings cover might be ideal for you. It looks after the actual building itself so if a storm, fire or tenant does damage to the property, a CGU buildings cover policy can pick up the bill.

CGU landlord insurance comparison table

We've looked through the CGU landlord insurance PDS so that you can see exactly what benefits you're entitled to with each policy.

Insured eventBuilding and contentsContents coverBuilding cover
Accidental breakage
Electrical motor burnout
Fire or explosion
Landslide or subsidence
Vandalism or malicious acts
Storm, flood, rainwater or wind
Theft or attempted theft
Water or liquid damage
Damage by pets$2,500$2,500$2,500

On top of these insured events, CGU landlord insurance can cover your property against these expenses.

More benefitsBuilding and contentsContents coverBuilding cover
Debris removal and demolishingUp to 10% of sum insuredUp to 10% of sum insuredUp to 10% of sum insured
Mortgagee discharge cost
Rebuilding feesUp to 10% of sum insured
Up to 10% of sum insured
Sale of rental property
Residential buildings
Protection for domestic outbuildings such as garages and sheds
Infrastructure for services
Swimming pools and spas
Curtains and internal blinds
Furniture and white goods
Sum insured increase

Adding on optional extras to your landlord insurance helps you customise your insurance, giving you more ideal cover for your property.

Optional add-onsBuilding and contentsContents coverBuilding cover
Loss of rent coverWeekly rent up to 12 monthsWeekly rent up to 12 monthsWeekly rent up to 12 months
Liability coverChoose between:

  • $5,000,000
  • $10,000,000
  • $15,000,000
  • $20,000,000
Choose between:

  • $5,000,000
  • $10,000,000
  • $15,000,000
  • $20,000,000
Choose between:

  • $5,000,000
  • $10,000,000
  • $15,000,000
  • $20,000,000
Rent default and theft by a tenantWeekly rent up to $5,000Weekly rent up to $5,000Weekly rent up to $5,000
Strata title mortgagee protectionAvailable as a standalone policyAvailable as a standalone policyAvailable as a standalone policy
Workers compensationAvailable as a standalone policyAvailable as a standalone policyAvailable as a standalone policy

What excess do I need to pay with CGU landlord insurance?

An excess is the cash that you need to contribute towards the cost of a claim. Whenever you make a claim, you generally need to pay an excess. With CGU landlord insurance, the amount you need to pay will be laid out when you buy a policy.

If you need to make a claim for loss or damage that occurs as a result of an earthquake or tsunami, you'll have to pay an additional excess of $250 on top of the basic excess. Additional excesses generally apply for claims related to tenant damage and loss of rent as well.

How to make a claim with CGU landlord insurance

To make a CGU landlord insurance claim, follow these steps:

  • Get in touch with the claims team. The CGU landlord insurance contact number is 13 24 80. You'll be assigned a claims specialist and they can talk you through the process.
  • Collect evidence of what happened. This can include photos, receipts, quotes and information such as the brand, model and serial number of the damaged items.
  • Prevent further damage. It's always advisable to try and prevent further damage from occurring if it's safe to do so.
  • Submit a claim. Your CGU claims specialist can collect all this information and submit the claim for you.

Who is eligible for a CGU landlord insurance policy?

The main eligibility criteria for a CGU landlord insurance policy includes:

  • The type of property you own. It must be a free standing house, townhouse, villa or duplex, semi-detached house or terrace. It's not suitable for body corporate buildings and houseboats.
  • How you use the property. It must be rented out to tenants or a short-term rental agreement of more than 1-month.
  • The condition of your property. The home needs to meet acceptable dwelling criteria. For example, it should be secure, watertight, structurally sound and well maintained.

Frequently asked questions

More guides on Finder

Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our 1. Terms Of Service and 6. Finder Group Privacy & Cookies Policy.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Go to site