Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own.

Landlord insurance SA

Get landlord insurance for SA, compare inclusions side-by-side and use the filters to tailor a policy to your needs.

Compare landlord insurance brands in South Australia

Name Product Tenant Default and Damage Loss of Rent Accidental Damage Sum Insured Safeguard Cooling-off Period Cheapest way to pay
Budget Direct Landlord Home & Contents Insurance


10% of the sum insured amount of your property
21 days
Save 30% on your first year's premium when you buy a combined home and contents policy online. T&Cs apply.
Youi Landlord Building and Contents Insurance


The reasonable rental amount for up to 12 months
20 days
Cover for investment property from fire, theft and numerous weather events.
QBE Landlord Home & Contents Insurance
The lesser of: Up to 24 months of lost rent, or 20% of your sum insured amount
21 days
Get 10% off for buying a combined policy, plus an additional 10% in the first year for signing up online. T&Cs apply.
Qantas Landlord Home and Contents Insurance


10% of the sum insured amount of your property
21 days
Earn up to 30,000 Qantas Points with every Qantas Landlord Insurance policy you take out by 28 May. T&Cs and exclusions apply.

What does a landlord insurance SA policy cover me for?

Landlord insurance is available in three cover options:

  • Home insurance. Home insurance, or building-only cover, covers your home and other fixtures on your property against damage from fires, storms, theft and vandalism. Cover usually provides additional protection against loss of rent due to damage rendering the property uninhabitable or damage to shared areas such as pools and gardens.
  • Contents insurance. Contents cover protects any of your household possessions and any other property you have on site against the same risks as home insurance. Additional options are usually available for communal items like pool equipment or outdoor furniture.
  • Both home and contents insurance, bought as a bundle. Complete protection for your property and everything inside, this is the most comprehensive level of cover available to landlords and includes optional cover for both rental default and damage or loss caused by tenants or their guests.

Finder survey: How many Australians in each state own their own home?

I live in a home I own74.58%71.67%70.67%68.4%70.37%
I live in a home I rent21.19%22.87%26.67%27.71%23.08%
I am living with my parents4.24%5.46%2.67%3.9%6.55%
Source: Finder survey by Pure Profile of 1113 Australians, December 2023
Data for ACT, NT, TAS not shown due to insufficient sample size. Some other states may also be excluded for this reason.

What should a landlord insurance SA policy include?

This is what's typically included in a landlord insurance policy:

thunderstorm icon


This can cover you for storms and storm-related damage. For example, if a storm causes a tree to fall which damages your property.

fire icon


This can cover you for loss and damage caused by fire, including bushfires which are common across SA.



If you keep any furniture or items at the property, you can get contents cover. You can often add accidental damage cover as well.

lock icon


This can cover your property if items are stolen or damaged from theft or vandalism.



This can cover you for flood damage. It's included as standard by some insurers; for others, you'll need to pay extra to have it included in your policy.


Loss of rent

This can cover lost income If your tenant stops paying rent or leaves without giving you sufficient notice.

Is landlord insurance compulsory in SA?

No, you aren't legally required to have landlord insurance in South Australia. However, as the landlord, you bear full responsibility in the event of damage or loss to your property or its contents.

Also, you need to set and adhere to lease terms, plus collect bond and rent for the property. Landlord insurance comes with legal liability if you get into a dispute with your tenant.

Who offers landlord insurance in SA?

Australian home insurance providers usually aren't state-specific, which means homeowners in South Australia can access cover from an extensive range of trusted insurance brands, including:

What else do I need to know about renting out a place in South Australia?

Wherever you are in Australia, landlord insurance is pretty much the same. However, each state differs a bit with regard to the around the rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants, which could affect you when you need to make a claim:

  • Bond and advance rent. If the rent is $250 or less per week, you're allowed to request a bond equal to four weeks' rent. If rent is more than that, you can request a bond equal to six weeks' rent. You can also ask for two weeks' advance rent in each case.
  • Rent increases. You cannot increase the rent during the first 12 months of a tenancy. After that, you can increase rent once every 12 months as long as you've given a 60-day notice. You cannot raise the rent in the middle of a fixed-term lease unless it is written into the agreement about the possibility of an increase and the circumstances in which it would happen.
  • Ending a tenancy. To end a fixed-term lease, you have to let the tenant know 28 days in advance of the lease ending. If it's a periodic lease, you have to give them a 90-day notice unless you have a good reason (such as selling the house), in which case you can shorten the notice to 60 days.
  • Pets. Tenants will need your written permission if they want to keep a pet in your rental property.
  • Access for inspections. You're allowed to inspect once every four weeks, but you need to provide a written notice of between 7-14 days prior to each visit.

More guides on Finder

Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our 1. Terms Of Service and 6. Finder Group Privacy & Cookies Policy.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Go to site