- St.George landlord insurance is good for options. It offers different levels of cover: Essential Care and Quality Care. Many insurers only have one level to choose from.
- Its 25% online discount is similar to other top offers and you can pay monthly or yearly at no extra cost.
- St.George landlord insurance policies come with a safety net in case you underinsure your property — but so do many other insurers.
Review by our insurance and innovations editor Gary Ross Hunter
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the St George website or compare a bunch of other landlord insurance companies with finder.Compare landlord insurance fast
What does St.George landlord insurance cover?
St.George landlord insurance can cover the building, contents (for example, if your property is furnished) or both. Here's some of the main insured events it covers:
All policies require to pay a basic excess of at least $100 when you make a claim and come with a cooling off period of 21 days which is the industry standard. If you cancel your policy within this timeframe, you can get a full refund.
St.George landlord insurance cover features
Here are some of the main features that a St.George landlord insurance will cover you for if you make a claim for an insured event like a fire, storm or theft.
- Accidental glass breakage
- Malicious acts and unrest
- Electrical motor burnout
- Storm, flood, fire, lightning, earthquake, impact, explosion
- Legal liability cover
St.George comes with the following add-ons:
- Malicious acts or theft by tenants
- Loss of rent due to default by tenants (but not for casually let properties)
- Damage caused by pets
St.George's general exclusions are similar to many other insurers. You won't be covered for:
- Events covered by a warranty, guarantee or service contract
- Wear and tear
- Damage by vermin or insects
- Unlawful acts
- Tree roots
- Loss or damage if your home is unoccupied for more than 60 days
For a full list of general exclusions, make sure you read St.George landlord insurance PDS.
St.George landlord insurance complaints
We looked at home insurance complaint data from the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) between July to December 2020. The data breaks down different underwriters and compares their business size to the number of complaints processed.
When comparing insurers, keep in mind that insurers with a larger market share serve more customers so can potentially get more complaints.
Here's an overview of how St.George (which is underwritten by Westpac) did. It includes other brands underwritten by Westpac so keep in mind that the total number of complaints is not necessarily all for St.George:
Here are some things we noticed about St.George and their underwriter:
- St.George (Westpac) had less complaints than other large insurers such as Hollard.
- Only 42.96% of complaints were resolved directly with customers. This isn't great but it's similar to other large insurers like Auto & General and Hollard.
Bottom line about St.George landlord insurance
St.George landlord insurance is a competitively priced provider that offers good sign-up discounts and lots of options. However, you'll need to pay extra if you want loss of rent cover.
If you're not yet ready to buy, you can compare other landlord insurance policies side-by-side here.
FAQs about St.George landlord insurance
St.George landlord insurance reviews
If you've held or currently hold a St.George landlord insurance policy, we'd love to hear from you. Your reviews help other Australians decide if St.George is right for them. Some reviews are from a survey commissioned by Finder.