Petsy Pet Insurance
$0 excess, lifetime cover* & 80% back: is Petsy Pet Insurance right for you?
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
With Petsy Insurance, you can choose from three levels of cover for your dog, cat, puppy or indoor cat. Backed by Australia's largest pet insurer and underwritten by The Hollard Insurance Company, you can get lifetime cover for your pet as well as insurance for puppies and cats as young as 8 weeks old.
*Lifetime cover conditions apply.
Finder's 3 favourite features
- GapOnly™ means no upfront fees; you only pay the gap (the difference between your vet's invoice and the amount your insurance covers).
- $0 excess to pay, always.
- You can get lifetime cover.
Compare pet insurance from Petsy Pet Insurance
What are my cover options with Petsy Pet Insurance?
You have a few different options when it comes to finding a policy for your pet. Keep in mind that waiting times apply and each policy comes with its own benefit percentage (the amount of the bill your insurer will pay) annual limit (the amount you can claim per year) and benefit limit (the amount you can claim for a specific service).
Available to cats, dogs and puppies (with different waiting times for each) this option comes with cover for up to 80% of your veterinary bills, with annual benefits of up to $8,000 and includes services such as:
- a motor vehicle incident
- a burn or electrocution
- allergic reaction to insect or spider bite excluding flea bites
- ingestion of foreign object
- tick paralysis
- heat stroke gastric dilatation-volvulus
- trauma induced respiratory impairment
- a bone fracture
- snake bite toxicity
- a traumatic ligament or tendon injury other than cruciate ligament
- bite wound or fight wound abscesses
- lacerations or abrasion of tissue, skin or mucous membrane due to external violence
- traumatic spinal disc rupture
- torn nail
- embedded grass seed
- soft tissue injury
- eye trauma
- cruciate ligament condition
With cover for up to 80% of your veterinary bills, an annual benefit limit of up to $10,000 and different waiting times for eligible pets, including cats, dogs and puppies, this option includes the same amount of accident cover as well as illness services such as:
- cancer treatments
- skin conditions
- eye/ear conditions
- ingestion of a foreign object
- gastrointestinal problems
- hereditary and congenital conditions (excluding pre-existing conditions)
- a paralysis tick
This option is available to indoor cats only and covers up to 80% of the vet bills with an annual benefit limit of $5,000. It includes treatment for services such as
- feline lower urinary tract disease
- gastrointestinal problems
- ingestion of a foreign object
- heart disease
- renal disease
See some prices for Petsy
To help give you an idea about costs for Petsy pet insurance, we gathered quotes for a few of Australia's favourite dog breeds. Just remember, prices are going to change based on things like you're own dogs breed, age and your address, so it's always worth comparing policies and getting a few quotes.
|Dog Breed||1yr old||5yr old|
|Staffordshire Bull Terrier||$788.43||$964.18|
Petsy Pet Insurance age restrictions
Petsy insurance have policy options for dogs, cats, puppies and indoor (house) cats, with different age eligibility requirements for each.
- DogCover. With Accident Cover, your dog must be 6 months of age or older when you take out a policy. Dogs over 9 years of age will not qualify for Accident and Illness Cover if there has been any break or change in coverage after reaching the age of 9.
- Puppy Cover. You can get puppy cover if your pet is at least 8 weeks old and younger than 6 months when you take out the policy.
- Cat Cover. Your cat must be at least 8 weeks old when you take out a policy. Cats older than 9 won't be eligible for Accident and Illness Cover if there's been a change in the level of cover after the age of nine 9.
- Indoor Cat Cover. Illness Cover has an age limit of 9 years old. Your house cat must also be over 8 weeks old.
What isn't included in my policy?
Understanding what is excluded from policies is important when determining the level of pet insurance you need. Below are some of the common exclusions with a Petsy policy.
- Ambulance costs: While lots of vets provide transportation for ill or injured animals, cover won't be included in your pet insurance policy.
- Bilateral conditions: Pre-existing conditions which affect a body part that your pet has two of, like their eyes, won't be covered by your pet insurance policy.
- Dental: dental procedures and dental diseases including gingivitis are generally not covered under your policy.
- Pre-existing conditions: If your pet has a pre-existing condition before you take out a policy, it generally won't be covered. For example, if your pet suffers from arthritis and you take out a policy, any future occurrences of arthritis will not be covered.
- Diseases with a common vaccine: You won't generally be covered for diseases where vaccines are well-known and common.
- Elective procedures: This can include things like desexing and regular checkups. In other words, if it is not medically necessary, you won't be able to claim for it. You can however add routine care to your policy.
- Pregnancy/breeding: Treatments as a result of pregnancy are not covered under most circumstances.
How to make a claim
With Petsy, you can sign up to use GapOnly™ which lets you simply pay the difference when you visit the vet, rather than having to wait on being reimbursed. To use GapOnly™, simply check with your vet that GapOnly™ is enabled, let them know you'd like to submit a claim this way and they'll forward the claim to your insurer. If you don't use this option, your Vet might be able to process the claim for you electronically.
Alternatively, you can submit your claim online through the secure Pet Portal. After logging in, you can upload the relevant documents and simply click submit.
If you prefer, you can also complete a paper claim form and send your original documentation via post. If you claim via post, the Vet must complete all the necessary sections on the claim form and it must be signed by both you and the Vet.
What are the benefits of choosing Petsy Pet Insurance?
Petsy policies have several distinct benefits, the first being that there is no excess charge at any level of cover. You can also get reimbursed if a Vet needs to visit your pet at home.
Claiming is really easy - you can claim online on your phone or laptop - and GapOnly™ means you don't need to worry about upfront costs. Unlike other pet insurers, you can also get lifetime cover for your pet if there is no break in your policy.
You might like these...
How much does it cost to insure a dog in Australia?