We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
With Petsy Insurance, you can choose from three levels of cover for your dog, cat, puppy or indoor cat. Its policies are underwritten by The Hollard Insurance Company, one of the largest insurers in Australia.
- Its comprehensive policy gives you 100% back. Out of 17 pet insurance policies, only 2 others also offer this, but none have as high a benefit limit and you don't have an excess to pay either.
- Its $25,000 annual benefit limit is market-leading — only 1 other insurer (Knose) on Finder offers this much but it doesn't cover 100% of vet bills.
- Its 8 year old age limit is a year less than the majority of other insurers available on Finder.
Review by our insurance writer Gary Hunter
Compare pet insurance from Petsy Pet Insurance
What are my cover options with Petsy Pet Insurance?
You have a few different options when it comes to finding a policy for your pet. Keep in mind that waiting times apply and each policy comes with its own benefit percentage (the amount of the bill your insurer will pay) annual limit (the amount you can claim per year) and benefit limit (the amount you can claim for a specific service).
Available to cats, dogs and puppies (with different waiting times for each) this option comes with cover for up to 80% of your veterinary bills, with annual benefits of up to $8,000 and includes services such as:
- a motor vehicle incident
- a burn or electrocution
- allergic reaction to insect or spider bite excluding flea bites
- ingestion of foreign object
- tick paralysis
- heat stroke gastric dilatation-volvulus
- trauma induced respiratory impairment
- a bone fracture
- snake bite toxicity
- a traumatic ligament or tendon injury other than cruciate ligament
- bite wound or fight wound abscesses
- lacerations or abrasion of tissue, skin or mucous membrane due to external violence
- traumatic spinal disc rupture
- torn nail
- embedded grass seed
- soft tissue injury
- eye trauma
- cruciate ligament condition
With cover for up to 80% of your veterinary bills, an annual benefit limit of up to $10,000 and different waiting times for eligible pets, including cats, dogs and puppies, this option includes the same amount of accident cover as well as illness services such as:
- cancer treatments
- skin conditions
- eye/ear conditions
- ingestion of a foreign object
- gastrointestinal problems
- hereditary and congenital conditions (excluding pre-existing conditions)
- a paralysis tick
This option is available to indoor cats only and covers up to 80% of the vet bills with an annual benefit limit of $5,000. It includes treatment for services such as
- feline lower urinary tract disease
- gastrointestinal problems
- ingestion of a foreign object
- heart disease
- renal disease
See some prices for Petsy
To help give you an idea about costs for Petsy pet insurance, we gathered annual quotes for a few of Australia's favourite dog breeds. Just remember, prices are going to change based on things like you're own dogs breed, age and your address, so it's always worth comparing policies and getting a few quotes.
|Dog Breed||1yr old||4yr old|
|Staffordshire Bull Terrier||$858.86||$1,050.24|
Petsy Pet Insurance age restrictions
Petsy insurance have policy options for dogs, cats, puppies and indoor (house) cats, with different age eligibility requirements for each.
- DogCover. With Accident Cover, your dog must be 6 months of age or older when you take out a policy. Dogs over 9 years of age will not qualify for Accident and Illness Cover if there has been any break or change in coverage after reaching the age of 9.
- Puppy Cover. You can get puppy cover if your pet is at least 8 weeks old and younger than 6 months when you take out the policy.
- Cat Cover. Your cat must be at least 8 weeks old when you take out a policy. Cats older than 9 won't be eligible for Accident and Illness Cover if there's been a change in the level of cover after the age of nine 9.
- Indoor Cat Cover. Illness Cover has an age limit of 9 years old. Your house cat must also be over 8 weeks old.
What isn't included in my policy?
Understanding what is excluded from policies is important when determining the level of pet insurance you need. Below are some of the common exclusions with a Petsy policy.
- Ambulance costs: While lots of vets provide transportation for ill or injured animals, cover won't be included in your pet insurance policy.
- Bilateral conditions: Pre-existing conditions which affect a body part that your pet has two of, like their eyes, won't be covered by your pet insurance policy.
- Dental: dental procedures and dental diseases including gingivitis are generally not covered under your policy.
- Pre-existing conditions: If your pet has a pre-existing condition before you take out a policy, it generally won't be covered. For example, if your pet suffers from arthritis and you take out a policy, any future occurrences of arthritis will not be covered.
- Diseases with a common vaccine: You won't generally be covered for diseases where vaccines are well-known and common.
- Elective procedures: This can include things like desexing and regular checkups. In other words, if it is not medically necessary, you won't be able to claim for it. You can however add routine care to your policy.
- Pregnancy/breeding: Treatments as a result of pregnancy are not covered under most circumstances.
How to make a claim
With Petsy, you can sign up to use GapOnly™ which lets you simply pay the difference when you visit the vet, rather than having to wait on being reimbursed. To use GapOnly™, simply check with your vet that GapOnly™ is enabled, let them know you'd like to submit a claim this way and they'll forward the claim to your insurer. If you don't use this option, your Vet might be able to process the claim for you electronically.
Alternatively, you can submit your claim online through the secure Pet Portal. After logging in, you can upload the relevant documents and simply click submit.
If you prefer, you can also complete a paper claim form and send your original documentation via post. If you claim via post, the Vet must complete all the necessary sections on the claim form and it must be signed by both you and the Vet.
What are the benefits of choosing Petsy Pet Insurance?
Petsy policies have several distinct benefits, the first being that there is no excess charge at any level of cover. You can also get reimbursed if a Vet needs to visit your pet at home.
Claiming is really easy - you can claim online on your phone or laptop - and GapOnly™ means you don't need to worry about upfront costs. Unlike other pet insurers, you can also get lifetime cover for your pet if there is no break in your policy.
More guides on Finder
eBay EOFY sales: Best deals from Apple, KitchenAid and more
Score up to 22% off millions of items with these top end of financial year offers.
Thinking about teeth aligners? Here’s how to make them more affordable
SPONSORED: Perfect teeth could be in closer reach than you think.
Your first look at the Billie Eilish x Air Jordan 1 sneaker collab
Featuring Billie's signature shade, here's what you need to know if you want to cop these kicks.
Amazon Prime Day 2021: Don’t miss these deals on 21 June
Amazon Prime Day is returning to Australia in the first half of 2021. Here are six online deals you need to know about.
How to buy TitanSwap (TITAN) in Australia
This guide will show you step-by-step instructions on how to buy the TitanSwap (TITAN) token as well as a list of exchanges you can trade it on.
Canterbury Bulldogs vs St George Illawarra Dragons NRL: Start time and watch free
The one-win Bulldogs return after a bye, hopefully refreshed and ready to meet the Dragons.
NSW first home owners tax reform offers 25K grants
First home buyers in NSW could be given up to $25,000 towards their first home purchase – find out if you're eligible.
24 PlayStation 5 consoles are up for grabs this long weekend
eBay is giving away 24 PlayStation 5 prize packs this long weekend - here's how to enter.
Does anyone actually need Twitter Blue?
Here's everything included in Twitter Blue and how much it costs.
How to watch UFC 263 Adesanya vs Vettori 2 live in Australia
Undisputed champion Israel Adesanya is ready for his long-awaited rematch against Marvin Vettori in Arizona.
You might like these...
How much does it cost to insure a dog in Australia?