Prime Pet Insurance
Cover up to 85% of your eligible vet bills with Prime Pet Insurance.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Prime Pet Insurance offers tailored policies to suit your pet’s medical expenses while taking your budget into consideration. No matter what level of cover you have with Prime Pet Insurance, you won't have to pay any excess. You can claim up to 85% of all eligible vet bills (excluding pre-existing conditions), making it easier to treat your pet like royalty. Read on to learn more about the benefits of taking out cover with Prime Pet Insurance.
Read on to learn about your policy options.
Finder's 3 favourite features
- 85% of vet bills covered - one of the highest reimbursement rates.
- Cover for your pet while travelling overseas.
- Huge $14,000 annual benefits cap.
Review by our pet insurance expert Alexandra Koster
Ready to compare pet insurance policies?
What policies are offered by Prime Pet Insurance?
The highest level of protection offered by Prime Pet Insurance and is suitable for pet owners who want to provide their pets with the highest standard of care. The Sovereign Accident & Illness Cover covers up to 85% of eligible vet bills and for extra protection you can also take out optional routine care that covers vaccination, de-worming, teeth cleaning and regular health checks.
Covers up to 80% of eligible vet expenses with no excess to pay. The Imperial Accident & Illness Cover provides a maximum coverage limit of $14,000 a year.
Protects your pet against accidental injuries and some illnesses, such as fractures, snake bite toxicity and traumatic ligament or tendon injuries caused by motor vehicle incidents, burn or electrocution, or an allergic reaction to an insect bite.
See some prices for Prime Pet Insurance
To help give you an idea about costs for Prime pet insurance, we gathered quotes for a few of Australia's favourite dog breeds. Just remember, prices are going to change based on things like you're own dogs breed, age and your address, so it's always worth comparing policies and getting a few quotes.
|Dog Breed||1yr old||5yr old|
|Staffordshire Bull Terrier||$1,077.45||$1,348.55|
Additional benefits that Prime offer
A Pet Insurance Policy from Prime Pet Insurance includes additional benefits to protect you and your pet at no additional cost:
- Emergency Boarding – is an additional protection provided in the event hat you are hospitalised for five or more consecutive days.
- Essential Euthanasia – pays for vet expenses incurred from humane and essential euthanasia procedures.
- Paralysis Tick Benefit – provides coverage for tick preventative treatment or measures such as tick baths and sprays. Your pet will also be covered for treatments for conditions arising from bite from any species of ticks. Note: only available under Sovereign and Imperial plans.
- Overseas Travel Insurance – will pay for your pet’s vet bill when it is overseas once the destinations you visit do not require your Pet being quarantined on its return to Australia.
- Dental Illness Benefit – covers vet expenses for treatment of gingivitis, teeth removal and abscesses. Note: only available under Sovereign and Imperial plans.
How do the policy features compare?
|What's covered||Sovereign Accident and Illness||Imperial Accident and Illness||Regal Accident & Illness|
|Annual benefit limit|
|Percentage of eligible vet bills covered|
|Accidental injury cover|
|Optional routine care|
|Additional dental benefit|
|Paralysis tick benefit|
|Cruciate ligament conditions benefit|
|Consulations and vet visits|
|Minimum age when cover starts|
|Maximum age when cover first starts|
What isn't covered?
Some of the key exclusions of Prime Pet include:
- Preexisting Conditions. Your pet won't be covered for any signs of symptoms of a medical condition that they may show before or during any applicable waiting period.
- Dental Care. There are some restrictions on dental care benefits which are not covered by Prime Pet Insurance such as dental disease, dental procedures, fractures, or teeth cleaning/scaling.
- Day-to-Day Care – isn’t covered by Prime Pet Insurance; therefore, unless your policy states otherwise, your pet won’t be covered for: preventative procedures; regular prescription or diet pet foods; grooming; training; accessories such as cages or pill poppers; and treatment for pets used for commercial purposes.
- Certain Treatments & Conditions – such as treatments for behavioural problems; cell-replacement therapies; or treatment for a condition that the diagnosis is inconclusive, even if the treatment is consistent with other covered treatments.
- Lack of Protection – your pet will not be covered for an event arising from a malicious act, deliberate injury or gross negligence by you or a member of your household.
Note: See the product disclosure statement (PDS) for a full list of exclusions.
How do I claim with Prime Pet Insurance?
Filing a claim with Prime Pet Insurance is simple. Before you begin the paperwork, you must ensure that you file your claim within 90 days after visiting your vet for treatment. Once you’re within the appropriate time frame, there are two options to choose. You may either file your claim: Online: Option One To file your claim online, you must first register online in order for you to manage your policy. Then you should:
- Upload a copy of your itemised invoices, as well as, the consultation notes from your visit to the vet.
- For individuals making their first claim, a full medical history from your previous vets must accompany your claim.
- For older pets who were adopted, you must submit the adoption paperwork and medical records since the time of the adoption.
Through Paper Claiming: Option Two For those people who would like to go he more traditional route and submit their claim through the mail, you must first complete the process below before submitting your claim:
- Print and complete all areas of the claim form.
- Have our vet complete Section 2 and ensure that both you and your vet sign the desired sections.
- Attach all original itemised invoices, consultation notes and payment receipts before mailing them to:
Prime Pet Insurance, Locked Bag 9021, Castle Hill, NSW 1765
Some final questions you might have about Prime Pet Insurance
More guides on Finder
Compare $100,000 life insurance policies
$100,000 life insurance policies can be very affordable. Compare costs and cover here.
Compare $500,000 life insurance policies
Compare $500,000 life insurance policies, costs and cover here.
Life insurance for women
How to get life insurance for women.
Granny flat insurance
Find the right granny flat insurance, whether you're renting yours out or you've moved into one.
Are outdoor living areas covered by home insurance?
From gazebos to furniture to water features, outdoor living home insurance can cover a range of things we keep outside.
How to start a beauty business
From qualifications to getting the right insurance in place, here’s our guide to starting your beautician business.
Standalone vs bundled life insurance
Find out about standalone and bundled life insurance.
Washing machine insurance
No need to get in a spin – washing machine insurance has you and your clothes washer covered.
How much does egg freezing cost?
Find out more about the costs of egg freezing and how to get cover.
How to insure your iPad against theft, loss and accidental damage – including the dreaded cracked screen.
You might like these...
How much does it cost to insure a dog in Australia?
Ask an Expert