Why Choose Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance?
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance offers a range of pet insurance policies designed to ensure that you won’t have to compromise on any aspect of your pet’s care. With cover available for accidents only, accidents and illnesses, or a comprehensive range of pet health risks, Bow Wow Meow will pay up to 80% of your eligible vet bills when your pet requires treatment.
There’s a level of cover available to suit the needs and wants of different pet owners, as well as what you can afford. Lifetime cover is available once your pet has been approved for a policy and a wide range of illnesses and injuries is included in the protection offered to you and your furry friend.
Comparison of policies available from Bow Wow Meow
- What is Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance?
- Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Policy Comparison
- Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Accidental Injury Cover
- Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Illness Cover
- Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Additional Benefits
- Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Routine Care and Wellness Benefits
- Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Exclusions
- Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance FAQs
What is Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance?
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance offers three competitive policies to its customers: Accident Plan, Comprehensive Plan and Major Medical Plan.
Bow Wow Meow Accident Plan
As the most basic level of cover offered, the Accident Plan provides protection when your pet suffers an accidental injury. Covered injuries include those suffered from snake bites, falls, burns and incidents with cars. The Accident Plan provides cover for up to 80% of your eligible vet bills up to $8,000 each year.
Bow Wow Meow Major Medical Plan
Bow Wow Meow’s Major Medical Plan provides cover for accidents, illnesses and injuries. You can choose an annual benefit limit of $8,000 or $12,000, with up to 80% of your vet bills covered. However, you will have to pay an excess of $500 each time you make a claim for an unrelated condition. This policy offers a broad level of coverage and offers lower premiums than the Comprehensive Plan, plus it also offers an optional Routine Care Benefit to help cover the cost of your pet’s routine care and preventative treatments.
Bow Wow Meow Comprehensive Plan
The Comprehensive Plan is the company’s third policy offering. It offers the exact same level of cover as the Major Medical Plan, covering up to 80% of vet bills, letting you choose an annual benefit limit and including coverage for accidents, illness and injury. However, you get to choose from paying zero, $100 or $200 excess when you make a claim for each unrelated condition, so you can expect to pay a little more for your premiums under this plan.Back to top
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Policy Comparison
|Accident Plan||Comprehensive Plan||Major Medical Plan|
|Annual benefit limit||$8,000||$8,000 or $12,000||$8,000 or $12,000|
|Percentage of vet bill covered||Up to 80%||Up to 80%||Up to 80%|
|Excess per condition||Nil or $100 per each unrelated condition||Nil, $100 or $200 per each unrelated condition||$500 per each unrelated condition|
|Covers accidental injury||Yes||Covers accidents, illness and injury||Covers accidents, illness and injury with lower premiums|
|Consultations and visits||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|After-hours emergency visits||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Laboratory and diagnostic tests for covered conditions||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Medicines and drugs||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Cruciate ligament surgery||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Hereditary and congenital conditions||N/A||Yes||Yes|
|Waiting period||Six months for cruciate ligaments||30 days for illness conditions and six months for cruciate ligaments||30 days for illness conditions and six months for cruciate ligaments|
|Optional routine care cover||No||Yes||Yes|
|Lifetime cover available||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|21-day cooling-off period||Yes||Yes||Yes|
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Accidental Injury Cover
Accidental Injury Cover is available from Bow Wow Meow as soon as your pet reaches eight weeks of age. This type of cover is available under all three of the company’s insurance policies. Your policy will cover up to 80% of your vet bills when your pet suffers an accidental injury as a result of one of the following:
- snake bite
- motor vehicle incident
- burn or electrocution
- fall from an elevated position
- an allergic reaction to an insect bite, excluding flea and tick bites.
You’ll also be covered if your pet suffers an accidental injury which results in one of the following:
- a bone fracture
- a traumatic ligament or tendon injury
- lacerations or abrasion of tissue, skin or mucous membrane caused by external violence
However, there are certain circumstances where Bow Wow Meow will not help cover your vet bills, such as if the injury is caused by a pre-existing condition, or if it is for things like patellar luxations or elbow dysplasia.Back to top
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Illness Cover
Illness Cover from Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance is available under the Major Medical Plan and the Comprehensive Plan. To be eligible, pets need to be aged between eight weeks and nine years when first commencing cover.
Illness Cover will help you with up to 80% of the vet bills when your cat or dog requires treatment for an illness. This can include:
- gastrointestinal problems
- cancer treatment
- skin conditions
- ear infections
- some congenital issues.
Vet bills for treating many illnesses can be quite expensive, particularly if your pet has cancer, so this type of cover offers great peace of mind to caring pet owners.
However, you’ll need to remember that there are certain circumstances where a benefit will not be paid. To start with, pre-existing conditions are not included in Illness Cover. Similarly, if your pet suffers an illness for which there is a known vaccine, don’t expect to receive a benefit from Bow Wow Meow. Such illnesses include:
- kennel cough
- parvovirus for dogs
- Feline Immunodeficiency Virus
- calicivirus for cats.
You also will not be covered if your pet suffers from an illness caused by endoparasites (such as worms) or ectoparasites (including ticks, fleas and skin mites).Back to top
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Additional Benefits
Bow Wow Meow policyholders can take advantage of the following additional benefits:
- Emergency boarding. If you are your pet’s sole carer and you are hospitalised for five or more consecutive days, you’ll be reimbursed for the cost of boarding your pet at a licensed kennel or cattery. However, you won’t be covered if you are hospitalised for pregnancy or a cosmetic procedure.
- Essential euthanasia. If your vet decides that the most humane and essential course of action is to have your pet euthanised, the cost of this procedure will be borne by Bow Wow Meow. However, extra costs, such as burial, cremation or voluntary euthanasia, will not be covered.
- Paralysis tick benefit. If you are charged veterinary costs as a result of your pet requiring treatment for tick paralysis, this benefit will cover the cost involved. However, tick preventative measures and treatments are not included in your policy’s coverage.
- Pet overseas travel insurance. If your pet travels overseas with you to a country where Australian quarantine regulations do not require it to be quarantined when you return, the cost of any veterinary expenses you incur while overseas will be covered up to the benefit limit.
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Routine Care and Wellness Benefits
Being a responsible pet owner is a hugely important part of adding a cat or dog to your family. With this in mind, Bow Wow Meow promotes responsible ownership by offering Routine Care and Wellness Benefits to holders of a Comprehensive or Major Medical Plan. These benefits help cover the cost of some preventative healthcare treatments for your pet as well as routine care and treatment services.
This includes procedures like microchipping, vaccinations, desexing and worming your pet. This extra level of cover allows proud pet owners to give their pets the care they need.Back to top
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance General Exclusions
Keep in mind that there are certain conditions, circumstances and events which are excluded from cover under your Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance policy. Your claim will not be paid if:
- If your claim is for house calls or out of hours treatment, Bow Wow Meow will only cover the cost of what the treatment would have been if conducted within hours at a vet practice—unless it was an emergency situation
- It arises from a malicious act, intentional injury or gross negligence by you or someone who lives with you
- It is caused by war
- It is for ambulance fees or non-essential hospitalisation
- It is for dental procedures, gingivitis, treating or removing fractured teeth, teeth cleaning, removing deciduous teeth or any oral disease
- It is for genetic testing or cell-replacement therapies
- It is for medication not approved or listed by the APVMA (Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medication Authority)
- It is for organ transplant surgery, artificial limbs or prosthetics
- It is for routine examinations, elective treatment, experimental treatment or cosmetic procedures
- It is for the cost of regular, prescription or dietary pet food
- It is for the treatment of a banned or restricted breed
- It is for transport or boarding expenses
- It is related to breeding or obstetrics
- It is related to grooming or bathing your pet, including the use of medicated shampoos
- It is related to or exacerbated by a pre-existing condition
- The condition is specifically excluded on your certificate of insurance
- You failed to take all reasonable precautions to protect your pet from situations which may have led to them suffering an illness or injury
- You pursue a course of treatment other than that recommended by your vet
- Your claim is related to training, socialisation, therapy, or alternative therapies
- Your pet is treated for behavioural problems, for example a phobia
- Your pet is used for commercial or occupational purposes, such as for police work or as a racing greyhound. However, Assistance Dogs and Guide Dogs are exempt from this exclusion
- Your pet suffers a condition where the diagnosis is inconclusive, but the treatment protocol prescribed is the same as the treatment protocol you would follow for a condition which is excluded from cover.
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance FAQs
Q. How old does my pet have to be when I take out cover?
- A. You can apply for cover for your pet once they reaches eight weeks of age. There is no upper age entry limit for the Accident Plan, but you can’t take out a Comprehensive or Major Medical Plan once your furry friend reaches nine years of age.
Q. What if I want to insure more than one pet?
- A. This can be easily handled by Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance and you will receive a 10% discount.
Q. Can I continue to visit my favourite vet?
- A. Absolutely. You can visit any licensed vet within Australia.
Q. How much of my vet bills will be covered under my policy?
- A. Bow Wow Meow covers up to 80% of your eligible vet bills up to the maximum annual benefit limit. This limit is $8,000 under an Accident Plan, or you can choose between $8,000 and $12,000 under a Comprehensive Plan or a Major Medical Plan.
Q. Can I change my level of cover once I have already applied?
- A. As long as you haven’t made a claim, you can choose to upgrade your cover at any stage. If you’re not happy with the policy you have chosen, you can cancel your policy within the first 14 days and receive a full refund of any premiums you have paid.
If you want to make sure you can afford care and treatment for your furry friend, consider the three pet insurance policies offered by Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance. Each policy is designed to meet the needs and budget of different pet owners, so consider the benefits of these policies compared to other offerings on the market to work out which policy is right for you.Back to top