Budget Direct Pet Insurance
Budget Direct is known for providing low-cost, high-value insurance, but did you know they also offer pet insurance?
Updated . What changed?
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Budget Direct's award-winning approach of offering reasonable insurance options for it's policyholders has made it a household name.
As well as car, home, motorcycle and travel insurance, Budget Direct now offers Pet Insurance for cats and dogs. Budget Direct is one of the few providers to offer cover for all orthopaedic conditions (sub-limits apply).
Budget Direct pet insurance is not currently available via Finder. But don't fret! You can head to Budget Direct's website at www.budgetdirect.com.au for more information, or you can compare a bunch of other pet insurance companies with Finder.
What pet insurance policies are offered by Budget Direct?
Budget Direct offers cat and dog insurance, which can reimburse you for up to 80% of eligible vet expenses (subject to the relevant limits and excess) if your pet becomes sick or is accidentally injured. So, for example, if your dog needed treatment for heart disease which cost $6,000, Budget Direct would reimburse $4,700, (and you would cover the remaining $1,300 (which includes the $100 excess).
The table below breaks down what Budget Direct's policies cover your pet for:
|Overall annual limit||$12,000. The following sub-limits apply:|
|% of eligible vet bill reimbursed|
|Excess (per condition)|
|Entry age limits|
|Hereditary and congenital conditions|
It's worth keeping in mind that Budget Direct doesn't cover your pet for pre-existing conditions. A pre-existing condition is any illness or injury that your pet showed any signs of symptoms of before the policy started or during any applicable waiting period. Budget Direct pet insurance policies contain sub-limits (maximum amounts that you can claim for specific conditions over the course of the period of cover), There are also waiting periods for specific conditions such as cruciate ligament treatment (6 months). This is how long you'll have to wait before you can make certain types of claims. You'll also have to pay an excess of $100 for each unrelated condition during any one period of cover. For further treatments for a related condition during the same period of cover there is no excess.
What isn't covered by Budget Direct Pet Insurance?
All policies come with exclusions. This is what the insurer won't reimburse you for. With Budget Direct Pet Insurance, some of what you won't be covered for includes:
- Pre-existing conditions
- Routine or preventative care
- Dental treatment (unless it's the result of an accidental injury)
- Elective treatments
You also won't be covered for anything during the waiting period (2 days for accidents, 30 days for illnesses or tick paralysis, and 6 months for Cruciate ligament conditions).
To review the full list of exclusions, you should always read the product disclosure statement (PDS).
How do I make a claim?
Follow these steps to make your Budget Direct Pet Insurance claim as simple and straightforward as possible.
- Download the claim form and fill out the relevant information.
- Get your vet to sign the "Veterinarian declaration" section of the form.
- Pay the full vet bill.
- Attach the relevant invoices and receipts.
- Lodge your claim by email to email@example.com, or by post to Budget Direct Pet Insurance, PO Box 342, Toowong, QLD 4066.
- Budget Direct will get back to you within 2-5 business days should they require more information.
- On acceptance of your claim, Budget Direct will reimburse you up to 80% of your eligible vet expenses (benefit limits and an excess apply). The money will be deposited into your nominated bank account.
What are the benefits of a pet insurance policy from Budget Direct?
- *Multi-pet discounts. When you arrange insurance for more than one dog or cat with Budget Direct at the same time you will receive a 5% discount for each of them.
- Money off when you buy online. If you buy a new policy online, you'll get 10% off your first year of premium.
- Choice of vet. You can take your pet to the vet of your choice, as long as they're qualified and registered in Australia.
For full details of cover, always read the product disclosure statement (PDS).
* Multi Pet Discount
- The discount applies to any renewal offer of insurance, provided you have two or more pets insured with Budget Direct at the time they offer renewal.
- The discount only applies to the insurance portion of the premium. It is applied before government charges, taxes, levies and fees.
More guides on Finder
Earnd is a pay on demand service that lets you access a portion of your paycheque before payday without paying any fees or interest.
PayActiv Earned Wage Access
Learn more about how PayActiv's Earned Wage Access service can help you access up to $500 of your paycheque for a $5 fee charged fortnightly (only if you access your wage before payday).
Campervan hire in Broome | Where to book, what to know
Plan your epic road trip around WA with our guide to campervan hire in Broome.
Used car values: what helps a car retain its value?
Gumtree reveals data that could help used and new car buyers save money
Companion 60L portable fridge review
With great performance and a durable metal design, the Companion 60L portable fridge is a top buy when camping on a budget.
Upcoming hybrid and electric car comparison
Compare soon-to-launch electric and hybrid cars.
Treadmill removal services
Here’s how you can ensure your treadmill is moved safely and at a convenient time.
How to start an event photography business
From practical steps to key legal documents, here's your checklist for launching an event photography company.
Best portable fridge freezers in Australia 2021: Single zone
There’s no shortage of cooling options when camping, working or 4WDing, but what are the best portable fridge freezers in Australia?
Campervan hire on the Sunshine Coast | Where to book, what to know
Encounter wildlife, regional treats and sandy shores with your caravan hire on the Sunshine Coast.
You might like these...
How much does it cost to insure a dog in Australia?
Ask an Expert