Budget Direct Pet Insurance Review
If you want a low-cost policy and a 15% online discount, Budget Direct Pet Insurance could be ideal for you.
Maximum yearly benefit
- You get 15% off your first year of premiums if you buy a policy online – this is a very competitive offer.
- On average, Budget Direct's premiums are $29.92 cheaper than the average pet insurance policy, according to a survey by Top 9 Pet Insurance.
- They'll waive the waiting periods when you switch from another insurer. T&Cs apply.
- Its $12,000 annual benefit limits are not market-leading — out of 16 policies compared on Finder, 9 pet insurers offer more than this.
- To keep costs down, it doesn't offer routine care which can include vaccinations and microchipping.
Budget Direct Pet Insurance deals
Get a quote with Budget Direct Pet Insurance
Why compare pet insurance with Finder?
You pay the same price as buying directly from the pet insurer.
We're not owned by an insurer (unlike other comparison sites).
We don't ask for your phone or email.
We've reviewed over 35 policies on the market, so you don't have to.
🔎 Why choose Budget Direct Pet Insurance?
Here are some of the main reasons why it might be worth getting a policy with Budget Direct Pet Insurance.
- Money off when you buy online. If you buy a new policy online, you'll get 15% off your first year's premium.
- Choice of vet. You can take your pet to the vet of your choice, as long as they're qualified and registered in Australia.
- Bone fractures
- Snake bite toxicity
- A bite wound
- Skin conditions
- Eye and ear conditions
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Pre-existing conditions
- Routine or preventative care
- Dental treatment (unless it's the result of an accidental injury)
- Elective treatments
💰 How much does Budget Direct Pet Insurance cost?
To give you an idea of Budget Direct pet insurance costs, we got quotes for several different dog breeds. Remember, prices will change based on your dog's breed, age, health and your address.
|Dog Breed||1yr old||5yr old|
|Staffordshire Bull Terrier||$668.84||$783.91|
✅ Budget Direct Pet Insurance policy options
Budget Direct provides 1 level of cover for dogs or cats. Here's an overview of what you get with each policy:
|Overall annual limit||$12,000. The following sub-limits apply:|
Orthopaedic conditions: Up to $4,000
Cruciate ligament conditions: Up to $2,600 (6 month waiting
Tick paralysis: Up to $1,500 (30 day waiting period)
Snake attacks: Up to $1,200
|% of eligible vet bill reimbursed||Up to 80% of eligible vet expenses, less any excess and subject to limits.|
|Excess (per condition)||$100|
|Entry age limits||Your pet must be over 8 weeks and under 9 years|
🏥 What does Budget Direct Pet Insurance cover?
Here's a more detailed breakdown of what exactly Budget Direct covers for your pet.
Accidental injuries can cover car incidents, burns, allergic reactions and more. It comes with a 2 day waiting period and can reimburse 80% of eligible vet bills (less any excess and subject to limits) related to:
Your pet must be at least 8 weeks old to be covered.
If your cat or dog gets sick, Budget Direct Can reimburse 80% of eligible vet bills less any excess and subject to limits. You'll need to serve a 30 day waiting period, 6 months for cruciate ligament conditions and pay a $100 excess per condition claimed. Like most pet insurers, you also won't be covered for pre-existing conditions. It can cover you for:
What isn't covered by Budget Direct Pet Insurance?
All policies come with exclusions. With Budget Direct Pet Insurance, some of what you won't be covered for includes:
You also won't be covered for anything during the waiting period (30 days for illnesses, 2 days for Accidental Injuries & 6 months for cruciate ligament). To review the full list of exclusions, you should always read the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).
📝 How to submit a Budget Direct Pet Insurance claim
Follow these steps to make your Budget Direct pet insurance claim as simple and straightforward as possible:
- Pay your vets bill
- You can then make a claim via the online claims portal or you can download the claims form from the Budget Direct website and send your completed form and your vet’s itemised invoices to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to Budget Direct Pet Insurance PO Box 342 Toowong QLD 4066.
- Within 2–5 business days of you lodging your claim, Budget Direct will contact you if they need any more information.
- On acceptance of your claim, Budget Direct will reimburse you up to 80% of your eligible vet expenses (benefit limits and an excess apply). The money will be deposited into your nominated bank account