Budget Direct Pet Insurance Review
If you want a low-cost policy and a 15% discount, Budget Direct Pet Insurance could be ideal for you.
Maximum yearly benefit
- You get 15% off your first year of premiums if you buy a policy online — no other pet insurer currently offers such a big discount simply for signing up.
- On average, Budget Direct's premiums are $29.92 cheaper than the average pet insurance policy, according to a survey by Top 10 Pet Insurance.
- If you have more than 1 dog or cat, you can get a 5% discount.
- Its $12,000 annual benefit limits are not market-leading — out of 11 policies compared on Finder, 8 pet insurers offer more than this.
- To keep costs down, it doesn't offer routine care which can include vaccinations and microchipping.
Budget Direct Pet Insurance deals
Get a quote with Budget Direct Pet Insurance
🔎 Why choose Budget Direct Pet Insurance?
Here are some of the main reasons why it might be worth getting a policy with Budget Direct Pet Insurance.
- Multi-pet discounts. When you arrange insurance for more than 1 dog or cat with Budget Direct at the same time, you can receive a 5% discount for each of them.
- Money off when you buy online. If you buy a new policy online, you'll get 15% off your first year's premium.
- Choice of vet. You can take your pet to the vet of your choice, as long as they're qualified and registered in Australia.
- Bone fractures
- Snake bite toxicity
- A bite wound
- Skin conditions
- Eye and ear conditions
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Pre-existing conditions
- Routine or preventative care
- Dental treatment (unless it's the result of an accidental injury)
- Elective treatments
💰 How much does Budget Direct Pet Insurance cost?
To give you an idea of Budget Direct pet insurance costs, we got quotes for several different dog breeds. Remember, prices will change based on your dog's breed, age, health and your address.
|Dog Breed||1yr old||5yr old|
|Staffordshire Bull Terrier||$842.96||$987.99|
✅ Budget Direct Pet Insurance policy options
Budget Direct provides 1 level of cover for dogs or cats. Here's an overview of what you get with each policy:
|Overall annual limit||$12,000. The following sub-limits apply:|
Orthopaedic conditions: Up to $4,000
Cruciate ligament conditions: Up to $2,600 (6 month waiting
Tick paralysis: Up to $1,500 (30 day waiting period)
Snake attacks: Up to $1,200
|% of eligible vet bill reimbursed||Up to 80%|
|Excess (per condition)||$100|
|Entry age limits||Your pet must be over 8 weeks and under 9 years|
|Multi-pet discount||5% discount per pet|
🏥 What does Budget Direct Pet Insurance cover?
Here's a more detailed breakdown of what exactly Budget Direct covers for your pet.
Accidental injuries can cover car incidents, burns, allergic reactions and more. It comes with a 2 day waiting period and can pay 80% of eligible vet bills related to:
Your pet must be at least 8 weeks old to be covered.
If your cat or dog gets sick, Budget Direct can pay 80% of eligible vet bills. You'll need to serve a 30 day waiting period, 6 months for cruciate ligament conditions and pay a $100 excess for every claim you make. Like most pet insurers, you also won't be covered for pre-existing conditions. It can cover you for:
What isn't covered by Budget Direct Pet Insurance?
All policies come with exclusions. With Budget Direct Pet Insurance, some of what you won't be covered for includes:
You also won't be covered for anything during the waiting period (30 days for illnesses, 2 days for Accidental Injuries & 6 months for cruciate ligament). To review the full list of exclusions, you should always read the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).
📝 How to submit a Budget Direct Pet Insurance claim
Follow these steps to make your Budget Direct pet insurance claim as simple and straightforward as possible:
- Download the claim form and fill out the relevant information.
- Get your vet to sign the "Veterinarian declaration" section of the form.
- Pay the full vet bill.
- Attach the relevant invoices and receipts.
- Lodge your claim by email to email@example.com, or by post to Budget Direct Pet Insurance, PO Box 342, Toowong, QLD 4066.
- Budget Direct will get back to you within 2-5 business days should they require more information.
- On acceptance of your claim, Budget Direct will reimburse you up to 80% of your eligible vet expenses (benefit limits and an excess apply). The money will be deposited into your nominated bank account.