With energy prices rising, switch to a cheaper plan
Compare Prices Now

NAB home insurance review

NAB home insurance could be good if you want to go with a big insurance provider but there are bigger discounts elsewhere.

4.1 ★★★★★ (16 reviews) Write a review

We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!

Our verdict

  • It's good for pet owners. It can provide alternative accommodation for your pets and cover $500 in vet costs if they're injured in a road accident.
  • It had relatively few complaints in 2020 even compared to other smaller sized insurers.
  • You can get up to 10% off your first year's premium when you purchase a combined NAB home and contents insurance policy online. This is less than insurers including Budget Direct, Virgin and ING.
Sorry! We currently don't have this brand on our panel. But don't fret, you can head to the NAB home insurance website or compare a bunch of other home insurance companies with Finder.
Compare home insurance fast

What does NAB home insurance cover?

You can get 3 different policy types with NAB. These are building insurance, contents insurance and a combined home and contents insurance policy.

Some main events covered by NAB home insurance include:

NAB home insurance is issued by Allianz Australia Insurance Limited, which is one of the largest insurance companies in Australia. It has a below average cooling off period of 14 days and you will be required to pay an excess when you claim.

Here's the rundown of a NAB home insurance policy

Check icon

Standard features

These are some of the features that you can claim on if an insured event causes damage or loss to your property or belongings.

  • Alternative accommodation for you and your pets
  • Vet costs
  • Debris removal
  • Rebuilding and professional fees
  • Making your home buildings environmentally friendly
  • Buildings modifications
  • Building code compliance costs
  • Guest, visitor and domestic helper property
  • Moving house
  • Food or medicine spoilage

plus icon

Optional add-ons

NAB home insurance comes with similar optional add-ons to most insurers. You'll find that most make you pay extra for accidental damage and flood cover.

  • Accidental damage
  • Flood cover (a 72-hour exclusion period applies)
  • Motor burnout (included with accidental damage)
  • Portable contents
  • Domestic Workers' Compensation cover (in ACT, WA and TAS)

cross icon


All home insurance policies will have general exclusions. Here are a few exclusions from NAB. For the full list, head to the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).

  • Depreciation
  • Earth movement
  • Misplaced items
  • Pre-existing damage
  • Electronic data
  • Mould
  • Terrorism
  • Stump or tree removal

Make sure you read NAB's PDS for a more detailed breakdown of exclusions. You can also head to general exclusions for more information.

A quick review of NAB home insurance complaints

We looked at home insurance complaint data from the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) between July 2020 and June 2021. The data breaks down different underwriters and compares their business size to the number of complaints processed.

When comparing insurers, keep in mind that insurers with a larger market share serve more customers, so can potentially get more complaints.

Here's an overview of how NAB (​​Allianz Australia Insurance Limited) did:

  • Allianz Australia Insurance Limited had a lower proportion of complaints compared to other insurers which suggests it provides good customer service overall.
    • Only 32.25% of its complaints were resolved directly with the customer, which is lower than many other insurers we looked at.

    The bottom line about NAB home insurance

    NAB home insurance could be ideal if you want to go with an insurer that has a large underwriter with a fairly good complaints record. However, if you're looking for bigger discounts and more optional extras, you may want to look elsewhere.

    If you're not ready to take out home insurance, you can compare other brands side-by-side here.

    NAB home insurance frequently asked questions

    Leave a NAB home insurance review

    If you've held, or currently hold, a NAB home insurance policy, we'd love to hear from you. Your reviews help other Australians decide if NAB is right for them. Some reviews are from a survey commissioned by Finder.

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.
Go to site