Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own.

Bupa home insurance review

Bupa Health Members may want to consider taking out a Bupa Home Insurance policy – you can get up to 15% off.

3.9 ★★★★★ (11 reviews) Write a review

Our Verdict

  • It's good if you're a Bupa health member. You get between 10% and 15% off.
  • Unlike many home insurers, Bupa also lets you choose the level of cover you want: Ultimate, Comprehensive and Basic.
  • If you're not a Bupa health member, there's less reasons for you to take out cover. Its policies are issued by Hollard Insurance Company Pty Ltd, a popular underwriter in Australia.

What does Bupa home insurance cover?

Bupa offers the standard policy types: a combined home and contents insurance, contents insurance, and building insurance. After choosing your policy type, you can choose the level of cover your want – Ultimate, Comprehensive and Basic. On top of that, if you're a Bupa health member, you can save up to 15% on your policy.

Some main events covered by Bupa home insurance include:

Bupa home insurance is backed by Hollard Insurance Company Pty Ltd. It comes with a 14-day cooling off period which is standard among most insurers. This allows you to cancel your policy and receive a refund so long as you haven't made any claims.

Here's the rundown of a Bupa home insurance policy

Check icon

Standard features

These are some of the standard features that you can claim on with the Bupa Ultimate home insurance policy if an insured event causes damage or loss. Keep in mind that this is its top policy. Not all benefits are included in the Comprehensive or Basic covers.

  • Key and lock replacement
  • Accidental damage
  • Burning out of an electric motor
  • Alternative accomodation
  • Modifications to your buildings
  • Contents in transit
  • Debris removal and demolishing
  • Document damage
  • Funeral expenses
  • Legal Liability
  • Guests' or visitors' belongings

cross icon


Your Bupa home insurance claim will not be paid if a claim is made due to:

  • Settling, shrinkage or earth movement
  • Damages caused by erosion, rust, depreciation or wear and tear
  • Damages caused by rats, mice or insects
  • Damages caused by structural defects or faulty workmanship or design
  • Malicious damage, vandalism, theft or a deliberate or intentional act by a tenant (except if you have Landlords Insurance)
  • Mechanical or electrical breakdown (except electric motor burnout)
  • Water entering your building through an opening made for building, renovation or repair work
  • Damages caused by roots from trees or plants
  • Liability arising due to an injury to any member of your family or anyone who normally lives with you
  • Liability arising from any alterations, renovations or additions to your buildings that cost more than $50,000
  • Lawful destruction or confiscation of your property
  • Damages caused by mildew, atmospheric or climatic conditions
  • Deliberate or intentional act by you, or anyone acting for you
  • Damages caused by storm surge

Make sure you read Bupa's PDS for a full list of exclusions. Our general exclusions page also outlines more information about what home insurance doesn't usually cover.

Here's some information on Bupa home insurance complaints

We looked at home insurance complaint data from the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) between July 2020 and June 2021. The data breaks down different underwriters and compares their business size to the number of complaints processed.

When comparing insurers, keep in mind that insurers with a larger market share serve more customers, so can potentially get more complaints.

Bupa has recently changed underwriters to the Hollard Insurance Company Pty Ltd. Most recent data compares complaints while still being underwritten by Insurance Australia Limited.

Here's an overview of how Bupa (Insurance Australia Limited) did:

  • Insurance Australia Limited is considered a very large insurer so it's normal to see a high volume of complaints. It did, however, excel in how many complaints were resolved directly with the customer (40.14%).
  • At 974 complaints for the financial year, Insurance Australia Limited received almost double that of QBE.

Why you can trust Finder's home insurance experts


We're free

You pay the same as buying directly from the home insurer. Better still, we regularly run exclusive deals that you won't find on any other site – plus, our tables make it easy to compare policies.
expert advice

We're experts

We've researched and rated dozens of policies as part of our Finder Awards. We provide unique insights and our in-house experts regularly appear on Sunrise, 7News and SBS News.

We're independent

Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by an insurer. That means our opinions are our own and we work with lots of home insurance brands, making it easier for you to find a good deal.

We're here to help

Since 2014, we've helped 150,000+ people find home insurance by explaining your cover options simply and clearly. We'll never ask for your number or email. We're here to help you make a decision.

Frequently asked questions

More guides on Finder

Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our 1. Terms Of Service and 6. Finder Group Privacy & Cookies Policy.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Go to site