Unsure which TID policy is right for you? Compare Travel Insurance Direct policies and apply securely online.
Travelling is an important aspect of many people’s lives. Whether you travel frequently for business or once a year for pleasure, you'll need to make sure that you're properly protected against the myriad of things that can go wrong on your trip.
Travel Insurance Direct (TID) has grown to become one of Australia’s leading online travel insurance companies, offering a range of policy options to suit travellers with different cover needs.
Policies available from Travel Insurance Direct - Apply securely online
Travel Insurance Direct has a range of products on offer to meet the different needs of its customers. A variety of optional benefits means that you can tailor the level of cover you need without breaking your budget.
If you are someone that travels frequently each year, whether it is for business or pleasure, an annual multi-trip policy can save you both time and money by letting you be covered under the same policy for each trip. Policy owners can travel as often us they like within a 12-month period and can avoid having to take out a separate policy for each trip, a great option for last minute travellers.
Key features of an Annual Multi Trip policy
- Unlimited number of trips within any 12-month period
- Single or Family Cover Options
- Cover for applicants up to age 75
- Same comprehensive level of cover provided for each trip
- If a family policy is taken out, the adult partner can travel independently to the policy owner
- Additional cover designed for business travel including cover for business equipment, hire business equipment and loss of business documents
- Cover must be purchased no more than 30 days prior to the intended date of departure
- Dependents listed on the policy are only covered while accompanying you or your partner
- Applicants must be under 76 years of age
- Cover for international and domestic leisure trips are to a maximum of 38 days
- Cover for business trips are to a maximum of 90 days
If you are someone that will generally only make one major trip overseas each year, single trip travel cover is likely to be a smarter option for you. This policy provides the same level of cover as the Annual Multi Trip (minus the business benefits).
Group Travel Insurance is a great option for anyone that belongs to a club, group or association and is looking for cover for more than 10 people. Taking out-group cover can bring great discounts for groups or companies while offering the convenience of being covered under a single policy. If this sounds like a suitable option for you and your group, simply fill out the form on the TID site and you will be provided with a unique code within 48 hours.
Just because you are not travelling overseas to another country does not mean you should not have protective cover in place. Events such as trip cancellation, stolen items or rental vehicle insurance excess can still cause significant financial loss for domestic trips. Travel Insurance Direct offers cover for Australians under the age of 81.
Key features of a domestic policy
- Cancellation costs
- Additional expenses and medical evacuation
- Rental vehicle insurance
- Return of rental vehicle
- Snow skiing piste closure*
- Snow skiing benefits*
- Snow skiing equipment replacement*
- Bad weather and avalanche closure*
- Accidental death
- Luggage and personal effect
- Personal liability
As stated previously, conditions and maximum level of cover can vary so it is essential to be clear on what exactly you are covered for before travelling.
What happens when I click 'Get Quote'
When you click 'Get quote' you will be taken to the provider's website. You can then view policies and get a quote for your trip.
|Cover Feature||International Single / AMT Single||International Family / AMT Family||Domestic Single||Domestic Family|
|Medical Expenses Incurred Overseas||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Additional Expenses and Medical Evacuation||Unlimited||Unlimited||$10,000||$20,000|
|Loss of Income||$10,000||$20,000|
|Out of Pocket Expenses||$6,000||$12,000|
|Resumption of Trip||$3,000||$6,000|
|Rental Vehicle Excess Cover||$4,000||$4,000||$4,000||$4,000|
|Withdrawal of Services||$500||$500|
|Total Permanent Disability||$12,500||$25,000|
|Luggage and Personal Effects||$12,000||$24,000||$4,000||$8,000|
Travel Insurance Direct lets you tailor your policy further with a range of additional options for those travelling for business or a winter sports trips. Check out what else you can be covered for by paying an additional premium. Please note that the Business Travel option is only available on Annual Multi-Trip policies;
|Benefit||International Single / AMT Single||International Family / AMT Family||Domestic Single||Domestic Family|
|Winter sports option|
|Snow Skiing Pre-paid Costs||$1,000||$2,000||$1,000||$2,000|
|Snow Skiing Equipment Replacement||$1,500||$3,000||$1,500||$3,000|
|Hired Snow Skiing Equipment||$2,000||$4,000||$2,000||$4,000|
|Business Travel||Single Annual Multi-Trip||Family Annual Multi-Trip|
|Hire Business Equipment||$1,000||$1,000|
|Re-Create Business Documents||$1,000||$1,000|
|International single trip||81|
- Emergency medical expenses while you are abroad
- Hospital and ambulance costs
- Cash allowance for hospital incidentals
- Medical evacuation
- Emergency dental treatment
- Unused travel arrangements
- Cancellation fees charged by your providers
- You are reimbursed if you have to cancel your holiday because of circumstances outside your control.
- Cover for additional travel and accommodation costs if you are unable to continue your trip
- Cover can be provided for the unexpected hospitalisation or death of a close relative or one of your travelling party.
- This also includes cover for rearrangements due to severe weather, natural disaster, hijacking or strikes.
- Cover if your scheduled transport is delayed for more than 6 hours for reasons outside your control
Your baggage and personal items
- Accidentally lost, stolen or damaged luggage
- High value items can be specified for a nominal fee.
- Cover for loss or theft or credit cards and travellers cheques
- Reimbursement for personal effects if luggage is delayed by the airline
Rental vehicle excess
- Provides cover for the rental vehicle excess if your hire car is damaged or stolen whilst in your care.
- You can also choose to increase the amount covered for a nominal fee.
- Cover for you are legally responsible for damage to a third party’s property, or injury to another person.
TID will assess each domestic and international policy claim. General Exclusion for TID claims include:
- Situations where alcohol was a factor
- Loss of property due to negligence
- Claim involves motorcycle or scooter accidents for unlicensed drivers
- Base jumping
- Hang gliding
- Ski acrobatics
- Ski Joreing
- Power assisted skiing
- Childbirth overseas
- Pregnancy or complications if travel after 26 weeks
- Travel in countries that have been recommended by the Australian Government not to travel there
- Claims arising from war and civil unrest
- Sexually transmitted diseases
Travel Insurance Direct considers pre-existing medical conditions in three categories:
- Conditions that are automatically included. This includes conditions such as high blood pressure (if you do not suffer any cardiovascular disease or diabetes).
- Conditions that are excluded. This includes conditions like ongoing treatments for heart problems and conditions where you have been hospitalised in the last 24 months.
- Conditions that can be covered under a special pre-existing medical conditions policy. This may include conditions that are not listed in the above categories, such as a cardiomyopathy.
How do I get a pre-existing medical conditions policy?
You will need to inform TID of your condition. If TID do agree to insure your condition, then you will need to pay an additional premium.
Unsure where your pre-existing medical conditions stands?
If you're unsure of whether you can get cover, get in contact with TID on 1300 843 843. For a full list of what included or not included, make sure you read TID's product disclosure statement (PDS).
How much excess am I charged if I need to claim?
The standard excess on any one event, under any Travel Insurance Direct policy is $100.
What does 'any one event' mean?
This means that two separate events leading to claims will require two excess charges.
Two separate claims
Jason makes a claim for overseas hospital expenses and a cancellation of accommodation due to an injury. He is charged $100 in excess for that event. A week later, Jason files another claim for a stolen phone and is charged an additional excess charge of $100 for a separate event.
Can I get rid of excess charges?
You can opt for an excess buy-out option when you apply. This will reduce your excess to $0 after you pay an additional premium.
Q. How do I make a claim?
- A. Claims can be submitted online at the TID website, or by completing a claim form. Any information that may be required for the claim must be provided including, but not limited to, police reports, valuations, medical reports, receipts and proof of ownership. The online claims system can be found at: travelinsurancedirect.com.au/claims.
Q. What evidence will I need for lost or stolen items?
- A. You must report the loss to local officials and provide a copy when you submit your claim. Proof of ownership will also be required.
Q. What about damaged items?
- A. For items damaged in transit you must report the damage to an official and obtain a fully written report. This is to include any offer for settlement that is made.
Q. How long will it take for my claim to be processed?
- A. Claims are usually processed within 10 business days once TID’s claims department have received the completed claim form and all necessary documentation.
Q. What currency are claims paid in?
- A. All claims will be paid in Australian dollars.
Q. What happens if my loss is covered under another policy?
- A. You must provide details of any other applicable insurance policies and claims to TID. In the event that only a portion of the loss is covered by the other insurance policy, you may then claim any remaining amounts from TID.
- Satisfied customers. Travel Insurance Direct is a 100% Australian owned travel insurance company, providing policies underwritten by the world’s leading insurance market Lloyd’s. Over 1 million Australians have taken out travel cover with Travel Insurance Direct since the company was established, offering comprehensive cover options for domestic and international trips.
- Dedicated customer service. Travel Insurance Direct realises their success is dependent on not only their range of products but also the service they provide to their customers. From the initial policy application process to dealing with policy owners in the event of a claim, Travel Insurance Direct have a dedicated team of consultants to provide support 24 hours a day, anywhere in the world. Each Travel Insurance Direct customer is guaranteed worldwide 24-hour emergency medical assistance, with a range of contact options for general enquiries or emergency support. Policy owners can get in touch by phone, email, Twitter or Facebook and receive swift support regardless of their location or what time of day it is.
- Giving back to the places you go: Travel Insurance Direct is heavily involved in giving back to the destinations that their customers travel to and have established a range of community projects that customers can opt to support when applying for a policy. Customers currently have the option to pay an extra $2 on their policy premium. This small amount goes a long way in supporting one of these projects.
- Money back guarantee: If you are not satisfied with the policy you have chosen with TID, you are entitled to a 14-day cooling off period whereby you may cancel your policy and receive a full refund. This option is only available if the trip or policy has not already commenced or if you are making a claim.
- Kids go free: Dependent children under the age of 21 named on the policy can be covered free of charge.
- Secure transaction: Travel Insurance Direct will only take details from you that are required to put your policy in force. The sites e-commerce is secure and at no point will they see or record your card details.
Q. What happens when I apply?
- A. TID will confirm the conditions of the policy including:
- Period of insurance
- Premium payable
- Cover options
- Excesses that may apply
- Provision of the Certificate of Insurance and any other documentation
- A. The policy will commence from the start date listed on the certificate of insurance. A confirmation SMS and email will be sent.
Q. Can I purchase my policy in advance?
- A. The policy will commence from the start date listed on the certificate of insurance. A confirmation SMS and email will be sent.
Q. How much will I pay?
- A. This will be dependent on destination, length of trip, number of travellers, pre-existing medical conditions and additional options on your policy. The premium will also include government charges, taxes and levies that may be applied. Applicants will be told the premium that is payable at the time of application.
Changing and extending your policy
Q. Can I extend my policy while overseas?
- A. Yes, international policies can be extended an unlimited number of times to a maximum of 12 months. Domestic policies can be extended an unlimited number of times to a maximum of 6 months.
What are the conditions for policy extensions?
- Applicant must be under 80 years of age
- Must not be covered for a pre-existing medical condition
- There must not have been a change in health status or personal situation that may impact decision to continue to provide cover
Q. Can I change the details on my policy?
- A. It depends on what needs to be changed. Please contact TID to discuss your options.
Q. Can I change my policy?
- A. It is possible to make changes to your policy, depending on what needs to be changed. In many cases your existing policy can be changed but on others a new policy may need to be issued completely.
Questions about coverage
Q. Does Travel Insurance Direct cover terrorism?
- A. No, TID will not pay for any claims directly related to terrorism.
Q. Does Travel Insurance Direct cover natural disasters?
- A. Yes, you are covered for cancellations and curtailments that occur due to Natural disasters if your policy was bought before the natural disaster occured.
Q. Does Travel Insurance Direct cover snowboarding?
- A. Yes, provided that you purchase the winter sports package for an additional premium.
Q. Does Travel Insurance Direct cover bungee jumping?
- A. Yes, bungee jumping is included on TID's list of covered sports and activities.
Q. Does Travel Insurance Direct cover cameras?
- A. Yes, TID will cover up to $4,000 for lost and stolen cameras overseas.
Q. How are dependent children defined?
- A. A dependent is a child or grandchild that is under the age of 21 and not engaged in full-time employment. They must be travelling with the policy owner during the trip and listed under the certificate of insurance.
Simply apply online
If you are interested in taking out cover with Travel Insurance Direct, you can receive a preliminary quote for your policy entirely online. From here, you'll be taken through to TID's website to provide details and apply for cover.
What details are required?
In order to provide with the most accurate quote possible, you are required to provide:
- Countries you are travelling to. The region you are travelling to will impact your premium, as some are perceived to carry greater risk than others.
- Departure and return dates. A longer period of travel will increase the policy premium.
- Age of travellers. Generally, the higher the age of the traveller the higher the premium.
- Pre-existing medical conditions. If you have any pre-existing medical conditions that are not automatically included, make sure you declare these.
- Snow sports and activities. If you plan taking on any winter sport activities, you will need to include this information so that you purchase the right policy.
How do I get a quote for group cover?
If you are interested in taking out cover for a group, additional details will be required to receive a quote. This may include:
- Your name
- Your email
- Your phone number
- Reason for travel
- Type of group
- Extended family
- Sporting club
- Tour groups
- Civic organisation
- Professional association
- Student group
Compare quotes from our panel of Australian travel insurance brands
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or select your destination