Want to know which TID policy is right for you? Compare Travel Insurance Direct policies and apply securely online.
Travelling is an important aspect of many people’s lives. Whether you travel frequently for business or once a year for pleasure, it's important to make sure that you're properly protected against the myriad of things that can go wrong on your trip.
Travel Insurance Direct (TID) has grown to become a leading online travel insurance brand in Australia, offering a range of policy options to suit travellers with different cover needs.
Get quotes for Travel Insurance Direct policies
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or select your destination
How can this page help me compare Travel Insurance Direct?
Travel Insurance Direct has a range of products on offer to meet the different needs of its customers, and a variety of optional benefits which may help you more closely and affordably tailor a policy to your needs.
If you are someone that travels frequently each year, whether it is for business or pleasure, an annual multi-trip policy can save you both time and money by letting you be covered under the same policy for each trip. Policy owners can travel as often us they like within a 12-month period and can avoid having to take out a separate policy for each trip.
If you are someone that will generally only make one major trip overseas each year and want comprehensive cover, The Works is likely to be a smarter option for you than multi-trip cover. This policy provides the same level of cover as the Annual Multi Trip (minus the business travel benefits).
This is TID's more affordable budget policy. The main catches to be aware of may include reduced benefits and a lower maximum age (75) in comparison to The Works (80).
Just because you are not travelling overseas to another country does not mean you should not consider travel insurance. Events such as trip cancellation, stolen items or rental vehicle insurance excess can still cause significant financial loss for domestic trips. Travel Insurance Direct offers cover for Australians under the age of 80.
As stated previously, conditions and maximum level of cover can vary so it is essential to be clear on what exactly you are covered for before travelling.
What happens when I click 'Get Quote'
When you click 'Get quote' you will be taken to the provider's website. You can then view policies and get a quote for your trip.
|Cover Feature||The Works / AMT||The Basics||Domestic|
|Medical Expenses Incurred Overseas||Unlimited||$5,000,000|
|Additional Expenses and Medical Evacuation||Unlimited||$5,000||$10,000|
|Loss of Income||$9,000|
|Out of Pocket Expenses||$6,000||$6,000|
|Resumption of Trip||$3,000|
|Rental Vehicle Excess Cover||$4,000||$4,000|
|Withdrawal of Services||$500|
|Total Permanent Disability||$12,500||$12,500|
|Luggage and Personal Effects||$12,000||$3,000||$4,000|
The following figures refer to policies for a single traveller. Information last checked as correct March 2017.
Travel Insurance Direct lets you tailor your policy further with a range of additional options for those travelling for business or a winter sports trips. Check out what else you can be covered for by paying an additional premium. Please note that the Business Travel option is only available on Annual Multi-Trip policies;
|Winter sports option|
|Snow Skiing Pre-paid Costs||$1,000|
|Snow Skiing Equipment Replacement||$1,500|
|Hired Snow Skiing Equipment||$2,000|
|Business Travel||AMT only|
|Hire Business Equipment||$1,000|
|Re-Create Business Documents||$1,000|
The following benefits refer to policies for a single traveller. Information last checked as correct March 2017.
|International single trip||80|
- Emergency medical expenses while you are abroad
- Hospital and ambulance costs
- Cash allowance for hospital incidentals
- Medical evacuation
- Emergency dental treatment
- Unused travel arrangements
- Cancellation fees charged by your providers
- You are reimbursed if you have to cancel your holiday because of circumstances outside your control.
- Cover for additional travel and accommodation costs if you are unable to continue your trip
- Cover can be provided for the unexpected hospitalisation or death of a close relative or one of your travelling party.
- This also includes cover for rearrangements due to severe weather, natural disaster, hijacking or strikes.
- Cover if your scheduled transport is delayed for more than 6 hours for reasons outside your control
Your baggage and personal items
- Accidentally lost, stolen or damaged luggage
- High value items can be specified for a nominal fee.
- Cover for loss or theft or credit cards and travellers cheques
- Reimbursement for personal effects if luggage is delayed by the airline
Rental vehicle excess
- Can provide cover for the rental vehicle excess if your hire car is damaged or stolen whilst in your care.
- You can also choose to increase the amount covered, at additional cost.
- Cover for if you are legally liable for damage to a third party’s property, or injury to another person.
TID will assess each domestic and international policy claim. General Exclusion for TID claims include:
- Situations where alcohol was a factor
- Loss of property due to negligence
- Claim involving motorcycle or scooter accidents for unlicensed drivers
- Base jumping
- Hang gliding
- Ski acrobatics
- Ski Joreing
- Power assisted skiing
- Childbirth overseas
- Pregnancy or complications if travel after 26 weeks
- Travel in countries that have been recommended by the Australian Government not to travel there
- Claims arising from war and civil unrest
- Sexually transmitted diseases
Travel Insurance Direct considers pre-existing medical conditions in three categories:
- Conditions that are automatically included. This includes conditions such as high blood pressure (if you do not suffer any cardiovascular disease or diabetes).
- Conditions that are excluded. This includes conditions like ongoing treatments for heart problems and conditions where you have been hospitalised in the last 24 months.
- Conditions that can be covered under a special pre-existing medical conditions policy. This may include conditions that are not listed in the above categories, such as a cardiomyopathy.
How do I get a pre-existing medical conditions policy?
You will need to inform TID of your condition. If TID do agree to insure your condition, then you will generally need to pay an additional premium.
Unsure where your pre-existing medical conditions stands?
If you're unsure of whether you can get cover, you may want to contact with TID on 1300 843 843. For a full list of what's included or not included, make sure you read TID's product disclosure statement (PDS).
How much excess am I charged if I need to claim?
The standard excess on any one event, under any Travel Insurance Direct policy, is $100.
What does 'any one event' mean?
This means that two separate events leading to claims will require two excess charges.
Can I get rid of excess charges?
You can opt for an excess buy-out option when you apply. This will reduce your excess to $0 after you pay an additional premium.
- Satisfied customers. Travel Insurance Direct is underwritten by Lloyd's one of the world’s leading insurance brands. Over 1 million Australians have taken out travel cover with Travel Insurance Direct since the company was established, offering comprehensive cover options for domestic and international trips.
- Dedicated customer service. Travel Insurance Direct realises its success is dependent on not only its range of products but also the service it provides to customers. From the initial policy application process to dealing with policy owners in the event of a claim, Travel Insurance Direct have a dedicated team of consultants to provide support 24 hours a day, anywhere in the world. Each Travel Insurance Direct customer may access worldwide 24-hour emergency medical assistance, with a range of contact options for general enquiries or emergency support. Policy owners can get in touch by phone, email, Twitter or Facebook and receive support regardless of their location or what time of day it is.
- Giving back to the places you go: Travel Insurance Direct is involved in giving back to the destinations that their customers travel to and have established a range of community projects that customers can opt to support when applying for a policy. Customers currently have the option to pay an extra $2 on their policy premium. This small amount can go a long way in supporting one of these projects.
- Money back guarantee: If you are not satisfied with the policy you have chosen with TID, you are entitled to a 14-day cooling off period whereby you may cancel your policy and receive a full refund. This option is only available if the trip or policy has not already commenced and you have not made a claim.
- Kids go free: Dependent children under the age of 21 named on the policy can be covered free of charge.
- Secure transaction: Travel Insurance Direct will only take details from you that are required to put your policy in force. The sites e-commerce is secure and at no point will it see or record your card details.
Changing and extending your policy
Questions about coverage
Simply apply online
If you are interested in taking out cover with Travel Insurance Direct, you can receive a preliminary quote for your policy entirely online. From here, you'll be taken through to TID's website to provide details and apply for cover.
What details are required?
In order to provide with the most accurate quote possible, you are required to provide:
- Countries you are travelling to. The region you are travelling to will impact your premium, as some are perceived to carry greater risk than others.
- Departure and return dates. A longer period of travel will increase the policy premium.
- Age of travellers. Generally, the higher the age of the traveller the higher the premium.
- Pre-existing medical conditions. If you have any pre-existing medical conditions that are not automatically included, make sure you declare these.
- Snow sports and activities. If you plan taking on any winter sport activities, you will need to include this information in order to get certain cover relevant to snowsports activities.