ahm Travel Insurance
Choose from 4 different policies and a stack of optional extras with ahm travel insurance.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Important:Travel insurance rules continue to change as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. We’re working hard to keep up and make sure our guides are up to date, however some information may not be accurate during the pandemic. It’s even more important to double-check all details that matter to you before taking out cover. Please know that some policies may not be available through Finder at this time. Here are some helpful tips:
- If you're buying a policy today, it's unlikely that you'll be covered for border closures
- If your travel plans go against government advice, your policy will most likely be voided and you won't be covered
ahm has more than 40 years of health insurance experience, and currently covers more than half a million Australians. ahm’s focus is on providing simple, effective and affordable policies where extras are options, instead of always included.
ahm now offers the same advantages for travel insurance and utilises its network to provide effective overseas health cover and many other benefits to Australians overseas.
Compare your travel insurance quotes
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or Select your destination(s)
Summary of ahm's International Comprehensive policy
|Overseas Medical and Hospital Expenses||Unlimited|
|Cancellation and Amendment Fees||As chosen|
|Luggage and Personal Effects||$6,000|
|Maximum Age Limit||84|
Table updated March 2021
What policies does ahm travel insurance offer?
ahm travel insurance aims to provide Australian travellers with flexible cover so you pay for the benefits that are important to you. They also give the option of medical only plans which can be hard to come by with most insurers.
International Medical Only
How do the plans compare?
To get an idea of what each policy covers, have a look at the table below:
|Benefit||International Comprehensive Single or Annual Multi-trip||International Medical Only||Domestic Single or Annual Multi-trip|
|Overseas medical and hospital expenses||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Cancellation and amendment fees||As chosen||$10,000|
|Luggage and personal effects||$6,000||$6,000|
|Travel documents, credit cards and travellers cheques||$5,000|
|Delayed luggage allowance||$750|
|Theft of cash||$250|
|Rental car excess||$3,000||$3,000|
|Travel delay expenses||$2,000||$2,000|
|Alternative transport expenses||$5,000|
|Resumption of journey||$3,000|
|Hospital cash allowance||$5,000|
|Loss of income, permanent disability and accidental death||$25,000 total, $10,000 limit for loss of income||$10,000 total, $2,000 limit for loss of income|
|Personal liability||$2.5 million||$2.5 million||$2.5 million|
Table updated March 2021. Reduced limits may apply to medical and additional expenses cover for ages 70+
What will my ahm travel insurance policy cover?
When you choose an ahm policy, you access the core benefits listed in line with your policy, and can also choose from a range of extra options. Core benefits include:
- Overseas medical and hospital expenses. Cover for medical treatments and related costs while travelling overseas.
- Cancellation and amendment fees. Reimbursement for prepaid accommodation, tour and travel arrangements that had to be cancelled through no fault of your own.
- Additional expenses. Extra costs related to medical treatments, including hospital accommodation and theatre fees.
- Luggage and personal effects. Cover for luggage and other belongings that are damaged, destroyed, stolen or lost while you are travelling.
- Delayed luggage allowance. An allowance for the purchase of essentials if your luggage is held up for more than 24 hours.
- Theft of cash. Cover for stolen cash, currency notes and postal or money orders accidentally lost or stolen while you were carrying them.
- Rental car excess. Covers the cost of rental car insurance excess if you are obligated to pay it.
What additional options are available?
As well as the core benefits, you can select extra options if you choose a comprehensive policy. Snow sports coverage is the only option available if you take out the medical only plan.
- Increased cancellation cover. Cancellation cover varies across the different policies. You can increase the limit from $3,000 to $6,000/ unlimited if you choose a comprehensive policy and pay an extra premium. Typically, people look for an amount that covers their prepaid travel tickets, hotels, tours and other expenses.
- Increased luggage cover. If you are travelling with belongings valued above the existing limits for luggage and personal items cover, you can increase the limits for individual items, up to $6,000 in total and a maximum of $4,500 for any one item.
- Increased rental car insurance excess. Both the ahm International Comprehensive and Domestic plans come with $3,000 of rental car insurance excess cover, but you can add up to another $3,500 for an extra cost.
- Motorcycle/ Moped riding. Whether you’re driving or riding as a pillion passenger, you are not covered for motorbike riding on a stand alone policy. You can include it as an extra and get covered for bikes up to 200cc engine capacity, as long as you’re wearing a helmet, hold a valid licence in the country you’re driving in, and are not racing or driving professionally.
- Snow sports coverage. Snow sports include skiing and snowboarding. This covers you as long as you’re on-piste, and are not racing or competing professionally.
- Cruise cover. This add on is mandatory with most multi-night cruises. It gives you unlimited onboard medical and dental, ship to shore medical and sea sickness cover. You'll also get $100 per day for cabin confinement (up to $1,500 in total) and cover towards missed port and missed shore excursions.
What isn't covered by my policy?
Here are some exclusions that your ahm policy will not cover;
- claims related to elective medical procedures including tattoos and body piercings
- claims arising if you directly/indirectly booked travel plans while unfit to travel
- if you engage in any of the activities listed in the PDS as excluded such as polo playing, running with the bulls and moto cross
- cruising in international waters on a private sailing vessel
- insolvency of travel service providers
- scuba diving without an Open Water Diving Certificate or without qualified instructor
How do I make a claim with ahm?
ahm allows you to make claims online or via post. They aim to settle within 10 working days from receiving your documentation.
Claims and contact details
Emergency phone number: +61 (0) 2 8907 5662
Making a claim online: Start the claim process at https://claims.travelinsurancepartners.com.au/ahm
Making a claim via post: Download and complete claim form from https://ahm.com.au/travel-insurance/claim and send it to:
ahm travel insurance
c/o Travel Insurance Partners
PO Box 168
North Sydney NSW 2060
General phone enquiries: 1300 617 409
Any more questions?
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: $1,250 off electric bikes, $70 off Nintendo Switch, $30 off Logitech G PRO X Lightspeed headsets.
Six of the best electric cars in Australia
Here are some of the best electric cars in Australia in 2021.
Optical inclusion: Extras cover the top reason for taking out health insurance, survey finds
Extras cover is the number one drawcard for Australians who take out private health cover, new research from Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site, reveals.
Going up: 4.6 million health insurance customers are missing out on potential savings
Millions of Australians could be missing out saving money on their health insurance policy, according to Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site.
86 400 Own home loan – fixed
Check out this flexible fixed rate offer from a digital lender. Rates for home buyers and investors.
Citi Rewards Card – Bonus Points Offer
Earn flexible rewards points as you spend and enjoy a big 100,000 bonus points offer with the Citi Rewards Credit Card.
Where can I travel from Australia in 2021?
Discover exactly what you need to know about leaving Australia.
Think you don’t need income insurance? Consider this heart-wrenching story first
The right insurance can save you from a financial and emotional nightmare, as this heart-breaking and expensive situation highlights.
HSBC Platinum Credit Card
This card offers 0% interest on balance transfers for 36 months, a discounted $29 first year annual fee and platinum benefits including airport lounge passes and complimentary insurance covers.
Citi Rewards Card – Velocity Points Offer
Enjoy 100,000 bonus Velocity Points, a reduced first-year annual fee and points per $1 spent with the Citi Rewards credit card.
Ask an Expert