Choose from 3 different policies and a stack of optional extras with AHM travel cover
AHM has more than 40 years of health insurance experience, and currently covers more than half a million Australians. AHM’s focus is on providing simple, effective and affordable policies where extras are options, instead of always included.
AHM now offers the same advantages for travel insurance and utilises its network to provide effective overseas health cover and many other benefits to Australians overseas. Travellers can find a cost-effective core policy and then tailor it to their needs.
AHM travel insurance policies
- International Comprehensive: This policy can cover you anywhere in the world, delivering a high level of cover with additional benefits.
- International Medical Only: Save money by getting only essential cover for medical treatments, additional expenses and personal liability.
- Domestic: Get affordable non-medical cover for travel within Australia, for added financial protection and convenience.
- Annual Multi-Trip: Convert the international comprehensive or domestic plans into an annual multi-trip policy to cover multiple trips throughout the year.
|Benefit||International Comprehensive||International Medical Only||Domestic|
|Overseas medical and hospital expenses||Unlimited||Unlimited||-|
|Cancellation and amendment fees||As chosen||-||$10,000|
|Luggage and personal effects||$6,000||-||$6,000|
|Travel documents, credit cards and travellers cheques||$5,000||-||-|
|Delayed luggage allowance||$750||-||-|
|Theft of cash||$250||-||-|
|Rental car excess||$3,000||-||$3,000|
|Travel delay expenses||$2,000||-||$2,000|
|Alternative transport expenses||$5,000||-||-|
|Resumption of journey||$3,000||-||-|
|Hospital cash allowance||$5,000||-||-|
|Loss of income, permanent disability and accidental death||$25,000 total, $10,000 limit for loss of income||-||$10,000 total, $2,000 limit for loss of income|
|Personal liability||$2.5 million||$2.5 million||$2.5 million|
- Reduced limits may apply to medical and additional expenses cover for ages 70+
What will I be covered for?
When you choose an AHM policy, you access the core benefits listed in line with your policy, and can also choose from a range of extra options. Core benefits include:
- Overseas medical and hospital expenses. Cover for medical treatments and related costs while travelling overseas.
- Cancellation and amendment fees. Reimbursement for prepaid accommodation, tour and travel arrangements that had to be cancelled through no fault of your own.
- Additional expenses. Extra costs related to medical treatments, including hospital accommodation and theatre fees.
- Luggage and personal effects. Cover for luggage and other belongings that are damaged, destroyed, stolen or lost while you are travelling.
- Travel documents, credit cards and travellers cheques. Cover for these valuable items if they are stolen or lost.
- Delayed luggage allowance. An allowance for the purchase of essentials if your luggage is held up for more than 24 hours.
- Theft of cash. Cover for stolen cash, currency notes and postal or money orders accidentally lost or stolen while you were carrying them.
- Rental car excess. Covers the cost of rental car insurance excess if you are obligated to pay it.
- Travel delay expenses. Reimbursement for additional accommodation costs if your pre-booked transport arrangements are delayed for more than 6 hours.
- Resumption of journey. If you were forced to return to Australia due to the sudden injury, illness or poor health of a relative or business partner, cover is provided for the cost of a return economy class ticket to fly you back out to complete the rest of your trip.
- Loss of income. If you are unable to work upon your return due to injuries sustained on your trip, you will be covered for loss of income.
- Permanent disability. If you become permanently disabled due to injuries sustained on your trip, you can claim benefits.
- Accidental death. Should you pass away due to accidental injuries while on your trip, benefits are paid to your estate.
- Personal liability. If you are legally liable for the costs of property damage or someone’s personal injury, this policy can cover both costs.
Additional options available on AHM travel insurance policies
As well as the core benefits you receive you can select extra options including:
- Cancellation cover. $10,000 of cancellation cover is included in the Domestic plan; there is no cancellation cover with the Medical Only plan; and you are free to choose your own amount of cover if you select the International Comprehensive plan. Typically, people look for an amount that covers their prepaid travel tickets, hotels, tours and other expenses.
- Choose your own excess. Domestic plans come with a flat $50 excess per claim, but the other plans let you choose your own excess from a range of options, all the way down to no excess at all. Lower excesses come at the cost of higher premiums.
- Extra cover for valuables. If you are travelling with belongings valued above the existing limits for luggage and personal items cover, you can increase the limits for individual items, up to $8,000 in total and a maximum of $4,500 for any one item.
- Extra rental car insurance excess. Both the AHM International Comprehensive and Domestic plans come with $3,000 of rental car insurance excess cover, but you can add up to another $3,500 for an extra cost.
- Motorcycle cover. Whether you’re driving or riding as a pillion passenger, you are not by default covered for motorbike riding. You can include it as an extra and get covered for bikes up to 200cc engine capacity, as long as you’re wearing a helmet, hold a valid licence in the country you’re driving in, and are not racing or driving professionally.
- Optional snow cover. If you require cover for skiing, snowboarding or snowmobiling you will need to get the optional snowsports addition. This covers you as long as you’re on-piste, and are not racing or competing professionally.
What activities are and are not covered?
AHM travel insurance policies do cover:
- bungee jumping
- flying fox
- jet boating
- white water rafting
- jet skiing
- working holidays
- racing (other than on foot)
- polo playing
- off-piste snow skiing or snowboarding
- rodeo riding
- BASE jumping, motocross
- freestyle BMX riding
- running with the bulls
- professional sports
- mountaineering or rock climbing using ropes or other equipment
- scuba diving without an Open Water Diving Certificate or without qualified instructor
How do I claim with AHM?
You can make AHM travel insurance claims online. This will get you the fastest response, and has options for uploading receipts and other supporting documentation.
Alternatively, you can download a claims form and post it to the AHM claims team at:
AHM travel insurance
c/o Travel Insurance Partners
PO Box 168
North Sydney, NSW, 2059
- The theft of money, luggage, personal effects and travel documents must be reported to police or other relevant authorities within 24 hours, and a written report obtained at the time.
- If you are admitted to hospital, or expect your medical expenses to exceed $2,000, you must contact the AHM emergency assistance team as soon as possible.
- After making a claim you will hear from AHM within 10 days of its receipt.
Who is eligible for AHM travel insurance?
Eligibility requirements may vary between AHM products and services, but they are generally intended for Australian residents aged 16 years and older.