Choose from 4 different policies and a stack of optional extras with ahm travel insurance.
ahm has more than 40 years of health insurance experience, and currently covers more than half a million Australians. ahm’s focus is on providing simple, effective and affordable policies where extras are options, instead of always included.
ahm now offers the same advantages for travel insurance and utilises its network to provide effective overseas health cover and many other benefits to Australians overseas.
Get quote from ahm travel insurance
What policies does ahm travel insurance offer?
ahm travel insurance aims to provide Australian travellers with flexible cover so you pay for the benefits that are important to you. They also give the option of medical only plans which can be hard to come by with most insurers.
- International Comprehensive: This policy can cover you anywhere in the world, delivering a high level of cover with additional benefits.
- International Medical Only: Save money by getting only essential cover for medical treatments, additional expenses and personal liability.
- Domestic: Get affordable non-medical cover for travel within Australia, for added financial protection and convenience.
- Annual Multi-Trip: Convert the international comprehensive or domestic plans into an annual multi-trip policy to cover multiple trips throughout the year.
How do the plans compare?
To get an idea of what each policy covers, have a look at the table below:
|Benefit||International Comprehensive||International Medical Only||Domestic|
|Overseas medical and hospital expenses||Unlimited||Unlimited||-|
|Cancellation and amendment fees||As chosen||-||$10,000|
|Luggage and personal effects||$6,000||-||$6,000|
|Travel documents, credit cards and travellers cheques||$5,000||-||-|
|Delayed luggage allowance||$750||-||-|
|Theft of cash||$250||-||-|
|Rental car excess||$3,000||-||$3,000|
|Travel delay expenses||$2,000||-||$2,000|
|Alternative transport expenses||$5,000||-||-|
|Resumption of journey||$3,000||-||-|
|Hospital cash allowance||$5,000||-||-|
|Loss of income, permanent disability and accidental death||$25,000 total, $10,000 limit for loss of income||-||$10,000 total, $2,000 limit for loss of income|
|Personal liability||$2.5 million||$2.5 million||$2.5 million|
- Reduced limits may apply to medical and additional expenses cover for ages 70+
What will my ahm travel insurance policy cover?
When you choose an ahm policy, you access the core benefits listed in line with your policy, and can also choose from a range of extra options. Core benefits include:
- Overseas medical and hospital expenses. Cover for medical treatments and related costs while travelling overseas.
- Cancellation and amendment fees. Reimbursement for prepaid accommodation, tour and travel arrangements that had to be cancelled through no fault of your own.
- Additional expenses. Extra costs related to medical treatments, including hospital accommodation and theatre fees.
- Luggage and personal effects. Cover for luggage and other belongings that are damaged, destroyed, stolen or lost while you are travelling.
- Delayed luggage allowance. An allowance for the purchase of essentials if your luggage is held up for more than 24 hours.
- Theft of cash. Cover for stolen cash, currency notes and postal or money orders accidentally lost or stolen while you were carrying them.
- Rental car excess. Covers the cost of rental car insurance excess if you are obligated to pay it.
What additional options are available?
As well as the core benefits, you can select extra options if you choose a comprehensive policy. Snow sports coverage is the only option available if you take out the medical only plan.
- Increased cancellation cover. Cancellation cover varies across the different policies. You can increase the limit from $3,000 to $6,000/ unlimited if you choose a comprehensive policy and pay an extra premium. Typically, people look for an amount that covers their prepaid travel tickets, hotels, tours and other expenses.
- Increased luggage cover. If you are travelling with belongings valued above the existing limits for luggage and personal items cover, you can increase the limits for individual items, up to $6,000 in total and a maximum of $4,500 for any one item.
- Increased rental car insurance excess. Both the ahm International Comprehensive and Domestic plans come with $3,000 of rental car insurance excess cover, but you can add up to another $3,500 for an extra cost.
- Motorcycle/ Moped riding. Whether you’re driving or riding as a pillion passenger, you are not covered for motorbike riding on a stand alone policy. You can include it as an extra and get covered for bikes up to 200cc engine capacity, as long as you’re wearing a helmet, hold a valid licence in the country you’re driving in, and are not racing or driving professionally.
- Snow sports coverage. Snow sports include skiing and snowboarding. This covers you as long as you’re on-piste, and are not racing or competing professionally.
What isn't covered by my policy?
Here are some exclusions that your ahm policy will not cover;
- claims related to elective medical procedures including tattoos and body piercings
- claims arising if you directly/indirectly booked travel plans while unfit to travel
- if you engage in any of the activities listed in the PDS as excluded such as polo playing, running with the bulls and moto cross
- cruising in international waters on a private sailing vessel
- insolvency of travel service providers
- scuba diving without an Open Water Diving Certificate or without qualified instructor
How do I make a claim with ahm?
ahm allows you to make claims online or via post. They aim to settle within 10 working days from receiving your documentation.
- Online. You can submit claims on the ahm website and upload your receipts and other supporting documentation.
- Post. Download a claims form and post it to the ahm claims team at:
- ahm travel insurance
c/o Travel Insurance Partners
PO Box 168
North Sydney, NSW, 2060
- The theft of money, luggage, personal effects and travel documents must be reported to police or other relevant authorities within 24 hours, and a written report obtained at the time.
- If you are admitted to hospital, or expect your medical expenses to exceed $2,000, you must contact the ahm emergency assistance team as soon as possible.