We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Important:Travel insurance rules continue to change as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. We’re working hard to keep up and make sure our guides are up to date, however some information may not be accurate during the pandemic. It’s even more important to double-check all details that matter to you before taking out cover. Please know that some policies may not be available through Finder at this time. Here are some helpful tips:
- If you're buying a policy today, it's unlikely that you'll be covered for border closures
- If your travel plans go against government advice, your policy will most likely be voided and you won't be covered
Falling ill in the middle of an overseas trip is bad enough by itself, but not having travel insurance can add to your woes if you’re not financially prepared for the medical bills.
Travel Insuranz can help make your trip less stressful by covering you for unexpected events like illness, injury, trip cancellation, baggage delay and loss/theft/damage to your personal items. It offers a number of policies suiting a variety of circumstances and travel arrangements.
Compare your travel insurance quotes
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or Select your destination(s)
Summary of Travel Insuranz's Deluxe policy
|Overseas Medical and Hospital Expenses||Unlimited|
|Cancellation and Amendment Fees||$10,000|
|Luggage and Personal Effects||$7,500|
|Maximum Age Limit||70|
Table updated June 2020
More about Travel Insuranz
Travel Insuranz is 100% Australian-owned and its policies are underwritten by one of the world’s specialist insurance brands, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance Company. It has provided travel insurance to more than two million travellers and have paid out more than $30 million in claims.
Travel Insuranz endeavours to pay all valid and fully documented claims within ten business days. It offers streamlined online processing and round-the-clock medical assistance. Customers also get a 15-day money-back guarantee provided your trip hasn’t started and you haven’t yet made a claim.
What policies can I choose from?
Travel Insuranz has three main levels of cover from which to choose. Each successive level of cover contains all of the benefits of the one before it plus a few additional benefits. The amount covered for each benefit generally increases from level to level.
- Classic. The most basic level of cover.
- Premier. Contains all the benefits of Classic with a few additional benefits and higher benefit amounts for most items.
- Premier Plus. Contains all the same benefits of Premiere, but with higher benefit amounts for some items.
- Deluxe. Contains all the benefits of Classic and Premier with a few additional benefits and higher benefit amounts for most items.
All four levels of cover can be applied to one of two travel situations through Insuranz:
- Single Trip. This covers a single trip of up to 365 days in duration, including one-way travel.
- Annual Multi Trip. If you travel in and out of Australia often, this will cover one year’s worth of unlimited trips. Individual trips have a maximum duration of up to 93 days based on the purpose of travel. It also has some additional perks such as 23 days of snow cover and coverage for domestic trips if they meet certain criteria.
Annual Multi Trip cover is basically Single Trip cover with an additional premium and added snow and domestic travel cover. Otherwise the benefits and benefit amounts are exactly the same whether you are on a Single Trip or Multi Trip policy.
Each person’s travel situation is unique, so you’ll need to read the PDS to understand whether it:
- Covers what you need it to cover
- Requires additional premiums for special circumstances (such as snow sports or adventure sports)
- Has exclusions and/or limitations related to your specific travel arrangements
Advantages of going with Travel Insuranz
Travel Insuranz tries to save you money on travel insurance by cutting overhead costs and limiting their risk. To keep prices affordable, Travel Insuranz:
- Only operates online, which not only saves money on expensive call centres, but also means you can organise your cover almost anytime, anywhere.
- Does not provide cover for travellers over 65; a group that is more likely to generate expensive claims.
While most queries need to be lodged online, Travel Insuranz does have a phone service for emergency situations so you’re not left waiting.
For less urgent online queries like changing your details or requesting a quote, Travel Insuranz secures your communications with 128 bit SSL to encrypt data transferred between your browser and its server.
Who is the underwriter?
Travel Insuranz is a trading name of Online Insurance Solutions Proprietary Limited. Online Insurance Solutions Proprietary Limited has been authorised by Certain Underwriters at Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance Company (Insurer) to act on its behalf in providing general advice, cancelling, varying, issuing, arranging and in relation to the Insurer’s travel insurance products. Online Insurance Brokers Pty Ltd issues certificates of insurance under a binding authority with Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance Company.
What am I covered for?
Travel Insuranz’ range of policies are designed to suit all types of travellers, which is why they offer the Classic, Premier, Premier Plus and Deluxe options. No matter what level you choose, you will be covered for the following to varying amounts:
- Cancellation fees, lost deposits and curtailment. You are covered if your trip is cancelled before departure or curtailed before completion because of an emergency.
- Overseas medical expenses. You are covered for necessary and reasonable costs incurred as a result of your bodily injury, illness or death during your trip. This includes emergency repatriation/evacuation, a relative’s additional expenses and emergency dental treatment.
- Personal liability. You are covered up to the amount shown in the Schedule of Cover, plus legal costs incurred with Travel Insuranz’ written consent, if you are held legally liable for causing bodily harm to someone or harm to his/her property.
- Missed departure or connection. If you arrive late at any departure point mentioned in your itinerary because of failure of public transport or a road accident, you will be covered for necessary additional accommodation and travel expenses that you incur in reaching your destination.
- Baggage and personal effects. You are covered (after making reasonable allowance for wear, tear and depreciation) for loss, theft or damage to your personal effects and valuables.
- Personal money and loss of passport. You are covered for theft of your personal money and theft, loss or damage to passport and visas.
The table below will tell you how much cover you will receive for each of these benefits under each level of cover, and highlights additional benefits when you upgrade to the Premier, Premier Plus or Deluxe options. For detailed explanations of the additional benefits offered, please consult the PDS.
|Cancellation fees, lost deposits & curtailment|
|Overseas medical expenses|
|Baggage & personal effects|
|Personal money, travel tickets & passport|
|Legal advice & expenses|
|Abandonment of trip|
|Accidental death / Disability benefit|
|Hospital cash allowance|
|Car rental excess waiver|
|Search & rescue expenses|
|Resumption of trip|
|Travel carrier insolvency|
|Withdrawal of services|
|Private home nursing|
Table updated June 2020
How to make a claim
Travel Insuranz strives to provide quick service for your claims. To make a claim, you need to obtain a claim form from the appointed claim handlers.
You will be required to provide some basic information including:
- Your address
- Your telephone number
- Your policy reference number, and
- A brief description as to the nature of the claim.
There are other situations in which you will need to obtain other specific types of documentation:
- If you require minor medical attention, you will need to pay your bill and keep all receipts along with a certificate showing the nature of the injury or illness. You have up to 31 days after your trip ends to lodge your claim.
- In the case of emergency, such as serious injury or illness that requires you to be admitted to a hospital as an inpatient, you must notify the Travel Insuranz assistance service as soon as possible. They have round-the-clock phone service for situations like this.
- If your luggage is lost or damaged in the custody of a travel carrier such as an airline or bus company, you should notify the carrier service in writing within three days and request a Property Irregularity Report (PIR) from them.
- In case of loss of money or personal baggage, you must report it to the police and request a written report within 24 hours of noticing it missing. You may need to provide proof of ownership of the belongings in question.
More guides on Finder
Amazon Prime Day 2021 Australia: Early deals on now
Amazon Prime Day 2021 officially starts on June 21 - or does it? Here's a stack of early-bird deals you can get right now.
Handypay Green Loan
A Green Loan from Handypay could help you make your home more energy-efficient. Handypay green loans are available up to $75,000 on terms of up to 10 years.
Victoria floods: How much food spoilage will your home insurance cover?
There’s been over 25,000 power outages across Victoria. Home insurance can reimburse you for the food that’s gone to waste. Find out who here.
TCL 20SE Review: Great display but otherwise unremarkable
If you're after a low-cost mobile with a quality display, the TCL 20SE is appealing, but you'll otherwise be left wanting for app performance, camera quality and battery life.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Moneyme (MME ↑18.8%), Cd Private Equity Fund I (CD1 ↑18.5%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Tuesday 15 June 2021.
Amazon Prime Day: 60% off fashion deals you’re not going to want to miss
Bargain hunters - get ready to save on Nike, New Balance, Cotton On, Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein and so much more.
Amazon Prime Day home deals to expect: Bose, iRobot and more
From home speakers to robot vacuums, these are the items to watch out for this Prime Day.
Staple items worth a splurge and how you can grab a cheeky 30% off all of them
We've got a cheeky 30% off at THE ICONIC so here are the staple items worth a splurge because the savings are too damn good.
Ask an Expert